Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:51 AM   #1
LEK

Default FZ35 or something else, superzoom camera questions

Hello. I am wanting to buy a superzoom camera, mostly for travel photography, landscapes and wildlife. Was pretty much set on the Panasonic FZ35 but I thought I should make sure that is the correct camera for me, especially since it sounds like it's replacement model is just coming out. Or if perhaps a Canon or another model is better for my needs. I currently have a Panasonic ZS3 that I am learning to use, I love that camera, not looking to replace it but to have 2 good cameras, the little ZS3 for hiking and easy carrying, and the larger zoom when I can carry something larger and need the zoom and viewfinder. I want something with excellent image quality so that I can enlarge a few of my travel photos to 8x10's or perhaps a 11x14. I'll be taking a two week trip to Alaska next summer and really want a good camera for that trip. There will of course be lots of snow/glacier/water shots, mountain landscapes, wildlife from close and far away, and probably lots of rainy and cloudy days. I read somewhere that the FZ35 doesn't perform well in cloudy overcast conditions, so I wanted to make sure it can handle overcast conditions, as well as snowy scenes. I took my old Canon point and shoot to Yosemite in the snow last year and was very disappointed in the overexposed, washed out pictures, so I want to avoid that experience in Alaska. Though I didn't know what I was doing so perhaps that was user error. In an ideal world I would like a slightly longer zoom for wildlife than the 18x on the FZ35, but would be shooting many times without a tripod, so not sure if a longer zoom would even matter if I can't hold it still. Though I love my Panasonic I was devoted to my Canon before that, so I'm not worrying about what brand I get as long as it's good and meets my needs. Anyway, any suggestions, should I stick with the Panasonic FZ35, get it's upgrade that's coming out, or something I haven't considered?
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2

Get the FZ35, the Adapter and the Olympus TCON 17 Telecoverter you will be pleasantly surprised if you practice with them now. You'll be ready for a great trip...get a monopod that also has the legs inside to make it into a Tripod they work great I have the Manfrotto 694, but you can get cheaper and also one that is 4 part will reduce to only 12" or so for easy packing into a bag or hang off your belt...

Do some research on all of these and then go get some great shots...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Loren-

It is best to not shoot in falling snow or rain unless you have a waterproof certified camera. Shooting in overcast condition is no problem at all, providing that you make the required WB adjustment. That is why you did not like the Canon overcast photos.

The Panasonic FZ-45, which is scheduled to reach dealer's shelves in tim for the 2010 Christmas market, is only an incremental improvement over the FZ-35. During this "sell-off" period before the FZ-45 cameras arrive the FZ-35 remain a real bargain.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
LEK

Is that FZ45 the same as the FZ100? I thought that was coming out now, or are they different cameras? I think the new one has a 24 x zoom, not enough to make a difference or worth the difference in price? I'll look into that teleconverter, I assume that adds to the zoom? Do you lose image quality using it?
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:11 PM   #5

Loren-

Panasonic has announced two different cameras, the FZ-45, which is only an incremental improvement over the FZ-35, and the FZ-100, which is a BSI CMOS imager camera targeted to the premium end of the super zoom camera market.

Personally I do not think that you need a teleconverter for the FZ-35. The difference between 18X and 24X is really not that great when the lens is racked out that far.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6

Teleconverter gives you additional 1.7X Focal Length so at 18X the FZ35 is at 486mm best I recollect and the TC effectively gives you 1.7 X 486 = 826mm Focal Length and as you use the EZ-Zoom by dropping to 8Mp it is even greater again at 5Mp and 3 Mp...I suggested the TCON 17 as it is cheap and good IQ and should be a lot of fun in Alaska especially if you get a chance at Polar Bears or Grizzlies...I would definitely get the Monopod with the Tripod Legs or take a small Tripod that fits in a bag...I am in West Africa right now as I travel a lot also and I have a small Tripod that fits in my bag but still extends up to 54" aand works great for steadying those long shots...

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:21 PM   #7

I tried the FZ38 and couldn't get on with the EVF. Hated it big time!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote