Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Canon T1I, Pentax K-x or......

Good afternoon,

I am looking into purchasing my first DLSR. I have been researching different cameras for months now, and I feel like my head is going to explode. I have been looking into the Canon T1I and the Pentax K-X or even in the micro 4/3 at the Sony Nex 5 and the Panasonic Lumix G2. I really want to make sure I purchase a good camera that will be multifunctional, user friendly, and will stand the test of time. The mirco 4/3's are appealing because of their size, but I am afraid I might lose out on image quality.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Last edited by TaylorMade7407; Aug 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM.
TaylorMade7407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:34 PM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:23 PM   #3

Mostly animals and children, which means it would have to work well in both outdoor and lowlight settings. I would really like something that captures fine details well, for example animal fur. Also, something that works well to capture the movement and action of children. I love to shot candid shots.
TaylorMade7407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:03 PM   #4

The Canon has the best autofocus system for moving subjects. The Pentax comes in second, and the rest of the cameras you mentioned are a distant third.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:52 PM   #5

the panny is a m4/3 like the olympus pens'. The sony is actually an aps-c camera. They are all EVIL camera actually.

For low light the panny is not that good, it is only good to 800iso before it gets noise. The sony is a much better low light evil shoot well to 3200iso. 6400iso is useable.

But neither the g2 or the nex are the best tools for action. That is where the dslr's AF system is superior to the contrast system of the evil.

But between the 2 EVIL you listed, the G2 has much better lenses, and the image is sharper. Also as M4/3 is a consortium of brands, all m4/3 lenses and 4/3 dslr lenses with the adapter will work on the G2. While there is only 3 lenses for the sony.

I shoot a EVIL and a DSLR. There is a definite size and travel advantage the evil has over a dslr. I shoot a Canon T1i, pentax K-x on the dslr side, and an olympus epl-1 on the evil size. For low light and action either the k-x or t1i would be a good choice. But when I am bouncing around the city, or traveling the EPL-1 is some much easier to travel with.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:54 PM   #6

For the indoor stuff you'll want to add an external flash to whatever you shoot - especially since detail is important to you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:56 PM   #7

In my opinion, Canon has much better and greater external flash options than Pentax, as well as being a faster focusing camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

Just for curiosity, which would you say is the better camera:

Pentax K-x
Canon 450D
Panasonic G10

I ask as i have had 2 of them and my brother has seen my G10 and has asked me which did i think was the better camera as he wants to get a DSLR himself. I told him i bought the G10 because it was the right 'size' for me and the wife and a great camera.

He has his heart set on a DSLR though so not sure which of the above would you recommend? He would be using it for family and landscapes, not sure what else though. Cheers
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:13 PM   #9

Koolpc,

If you need low light the k-x hands down,

Action k-x and 450d, both are good for that.

HDR shooting the panasonic is a excellent tool for that when shooting with a tripod and lower iso as they can do 5 frame bracket. Also it is a good travel size camera.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:41 AM   #10

Whats 5 frame bracket?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote