Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:59 PM   #1

Default oh bugger, another internet research project!

Evening all,

My eldests ankle biter recently destroyed my Canon S70 and I'm looking for some advice on what to replace it with.

To give you something to go one here's what I'm looking to use the camera for:-

- P&S pics of the kids in and outdoors.

- Ideally I was looking for good indoor low light, non flash shots of the kids in the house.

- Plus after owning a number of film SLRs I'd like something to break me into the digital world. I'd like to get back into low light landscape photography and I'd like to start exporing processing RAW images. Hell I need a hobby after years of changing nappies!

Probably no one camera meets both all of this. My current favourite is the Canon S90, but I'd like the lens to be a bit wider and the autofocus a bit faster.

Ideally I'm looking to spend no more than 300, but the less the better.

Appreciate any thoughts and idea you might all have.

Thanks

Gavin

Ps considered the LX3, ticks lots of boxs think the zoom might be a bit limiting.
Gavin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:50 PM   #2

gavin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Based on your requirements, the Canon S-90, the Panasonic LX3, and Samsung TL-500/EX-1 are your best possible choices. All three cameras use a larger than normal imager, coupled with very fast, wide aperture lens, making them your best choice for shooting in a low light photo environment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Panasonic will be releasing their LX5 soon. It gains more zoom range out to 90mm, or 24-90mm and will retain the excellent large sensor.

Would be a great choice, however, the initial price being a new model may be more than you are willing to spend. But may be worth a bit of savings in the next month.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I was coming down the three mentioned. Lx5 is just too expensive for me at the moment, I cant wait for the price to drop. We're off to Norfolk soon, land of the big skies (well for UK at least) so need a camera in next couple of week.

Seen on Amazon I can get an Olympus Pen E-P1 for not much more than the price of the Canon S90. Not read anything about this little chap, what you do all think.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:13 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the Oly Pen series have a much larger sensor than any of the compacts. this gives them a decided advantage in image quality, with it most markedly so at higher iso.

The Pen series have Olympus's great jpeg engine, which really outputs some of the nicer jpegs around.

The EP1 is a nice camera and can be bought for a song now. You may also look at the EPL1, its newer and has slightly better high iso capabilities and a popup flash. however, either will outperform any compact quite easily.

i own the epl1 and love it. it has all but replaced my dslrs, with a combination of portability and image quality that for all but the largest of enlargements is no different than my 50d.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:26 AM   #6

Thanks Hards,

With the 75 cash back the EPL1 is only 70 more expensive than the S90.

Should this be a no brainer? Do I need to worry about the negative comments on forums about the AF speed, I'm assuming it'll still be quicker than the S90.

What lenses would you recommend, I'll get the 14-42mm as the kit lens. Is there a list of available lenses out there?

Thanks again for your help.

Gavin
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It really is no-brainer. The AF speed on the EPL1 was actually improved in one of the firmware updates so it is faster than when it was released, and either way much faster than a compact.

I would go ahead and get the kit lens first it really is a great kit lens. Shoot that for a while, after shooting with it for a while you will get a better idea of what you need, whether its more telephoto capabilities, more wide-angle capabilies, low light, etc.

A few lenses you may consider after trying out the kit:

Panasonic 20 1.7 - This is your low-light prime lens, good lens for low-light no-flash work. for your needs, this one probably be first for you and if you decide to get 2 lenses to start off with, this one would be it.

Olympus 9-18 - This is a landscape lens if you are finding you want to go wider than you are able to with the kit.

Panasonic 45-200 - This is your telephoto lens, if you are wishing to be able to get in closer from a distance, this is a good choice.

Olympus 14-150 - this is a superzoom, gives you some wide-angle and some telephoto capabilities in 1 lens.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:05 PM   #8

Thanks Hards, that really usefull and I'm almost there, can I pester you with another couple of questions.

1) Do M4/3rd zoom ranges mean the same thing as DSLR ranges. So the kit lens is 14-42, I have been told this is equlivant to 28-48mm in SLR terms.... I hope this question makes sense.

2) Video, I'm assuming the video will be way better than S90. Some seem to complain about a buzzing noise. I do have a SD camcorder but it would be nice not to have to carry that around.

3) Low light, again I'm assuming EPL1 is way better than S90 and when people on forums bemoan its low light ability it because its being compared to DSLR or Panny GF/G's.

Phew that's, it going to hit buy on Amazon in the morning so I'll have it for a trip away this weekend.

Thanks for you time and patience.

Gavin
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:58 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Let me answer these in order for you.

1) M4/3 have a 2x crop factor like any 4/3 sized sensor. so yes a 14-42 would be 35mm equivalent of 24-48mm.

2) The video on my EPL1 is really quite nice at 720p, i personally did not notice the buzzing sound, but i havent shot video in a quiet room. The cam was used to film a commercial i think, and you can plug Olys really nice external mic into it if you want better audio.

3)Low light the EPL1 destroys the s90 yes. And it is better than the Panny G/GF series as well. It compares favorably with most entry/midlevel DSLRs as well. It is not much different than my 50D at higher ISO's to be honest. The DSLRs all focus faster, and that is more pronounced in low light of course.

hopefully that answers your questions satisfactorily.
-Dustin
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:04 PM   #10

Brilliant, thanks for your help.

Just placed the order on Amazon along with a 4gb class 6 card. Hopefully that'll do me for now.

Can wait to get playing with it.

Thanks again for all you help.

Gavin