Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:56 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-x, Canon T1i or T2i

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and I do apologize if I am asking too many question in one post.

First of all, I am a newby to DSLR camera. It will be my first DSLR, so I do have a few questions.

1. Which of these camera should I get, Pentax K-x, Canon T1i or T2i? I already ask a few friends about this question, and many of them told me to get either a Canon or Nikon. No one really suggest Pentax because they think that Pentax doesn't have a wide range of lens or that Canon and Nikon have a better resell value. To me, I just want to shoot better picture and I want to get one that I will be able to use for a while and happy with it. I read many good review about the K-x.

2. If I go for Canon T1i or T2i, should I buy it as a kit package including the len or just buy the body. A few friends told me to just get the body and get different len, the one that come with it is not that great. They are telling me to get the body and get this len: Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II, will this len do good if I am shooting video?

3. I see that Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II is a inexpensive good len, but shouldn't I get a zoom len that will give me flexibility?

I am mostly going to use the camera to take picture of my daughter. Of course she will be running around all the time. So, I wonder if any of these camera will do good, focus fast.

If you have any question for me, please let me know. Looking forward for your reply.

Thank You
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:50 AM   #2

Welcome
Here is my opinion any of the three cameras will be ok you need to go and feel them see which you find comfortable. Then look for a good deal.
Canon kit lens 18-55 is a good lens so I would stick with it, till you get used to the camera and then choose another lens later. IMHO I would concider an external flash as my next buy, but thats the way I think
Hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:14 AM   #3

I agree with wave01. For your daughter running around, the Canon would be a better choice than the Pentax. It is better able to keep a moving subject in focus.

I disagree with your friends. The Canon 18-55 is a very good lens. In fact, it's a lot better than many of the more expensive alternatives. The 50/1.8 is also a good, inexpensive lens, and while it's not as flexible as zoom lenses, it does have a large aperture so it's more usefull for some things than a zoom lens would be.

The best reason to get a Canon, however, is the wealth of knowledge and experience among your friends that you can draw on when you have a problem, plus the lenses and accessories they have that you can borrow. You can try out one of their 50/1.8 lenses and see if you like it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:37 AM   #4

The canon is a better system for tracking action like your daughter running around. The kit lens is a good one, but much slower then the K-x in auto focusing. If you upgraded to the 15-85mm IS USM it would be have no problems keeping up with your daughter. But the k-x is not the far off the canon with their AF.

With the canon, if you need all the video abilities for HD, the T2i is the better of the two when shooting HD. But if HD is not as important, the t1i will let you save some money, and it just as good as the t2i in the photography aspect.

The ef 50mm 1.8 is a good lens for the price, but it is slow to autofocus. Though it is a bright lens at 1.8, when in a low light environment, the lens have AF issues, and hunts allot. But it a good lens to start out with prime lens shooting.

I shoot the T1i and K-x and both are very good camera, but good for action shooting and low light shooting. If you do what to go into prime lenses, "fix focus ranges", the canon offers more lenses for that purpose.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:38 PM   #5

Thank you so much for the input. I am now considering more toward Canon.

As far as lens, sound like you guys like the Kit lens better. I just want a all around len that I can use (day, night, indoor, outdoor, kid running around). I am not looking to become a professional over night, I want to take my time, get to know all the terms (at least) and the then, work my way to upgrade to different lens.

I just want something better than my Canon SD790 (LOL).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:18 AM   #6

I like both the canon and pentax kit lenses. They are pretty good, but for action the canon is a bit behind the pentax in auto focus. The slight lead canon has in the af system is kinda lost to the k-x with the slower focusing lenses.

But either will do an excellent job for what you want.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:16 AM   #7

Man, I thought I was set for the canon T1i. But after reading many posts and I am back to Pentax K-X. I feel like as a beginner, I shouldn't spend too much money. And I can always buy better Lens on the Pentax, right.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee011 View Post
And I can always buy better Lens on the Pentax, right.
On this point, I agree with your friends, the selection of lenses for the Pentax is slim, especially for good telephoto zooms that you'll need for sports/action shooting (your daughter running around.)

There are other factors to take into consideration. Since many of your friends have Canon dSLRs, ...
  1. when you have a question, you can immediately ask one of them, and
  2. you can borrow lenses and accessories from them, to observe their utility for yourself, before you spend your own money.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:23 AM   #9

The slow AF is only with the canon kit lens, if you go with their USM lenses, it is faster then the Pentax. I use the 28-135 and the 70-300 USM lenses, and they take full advantage of the canon AF system.

If you are will to spend some money the canon telephotos are faster, but if you want good out the box lenses, the pentax kit is better then the canon kit for action.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With the canon, if you need all the video abilities for HD, the T2i is the better of the two when shooting HD. But if HD is not as important, the t1i will let you save some money, and it just as good as the t2i in the photography aspect.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

For anyone else who may be in the same boat, the T1i does shoot in HD, and rather well if you only want 720p. However, the main reason to go with the T2i for video is the fact there is no external mic input on the T1i. This frustrated me to no end when filming with my T1i as I always have to mic and bluetooth to another recorder (usually canon HF20) and add the audio in post. Photography wise you won't notice a difference between the two.
theguid is offline   Reply With Quote