Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:29 PM   #1

Default Help Needed to Select a Small Camera

Hi,
I am trying to select a pocket sized camera for taking photos of my family, and for travel photos. I am considering the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V and the Fujifilm F200 EXR. Has anyone tried both of these cameras? I have read good things about the Fujifilm, but I have also read that it is a bit hard to learn to use. I am going to Denmark in September, and would like to be familiar with at least the basic functions of my new camera by then. Also, does anyone know if I would need 2 adaptors to charge the Fuji batteries in DK? I think that an adaptor for the US comes with the camera, but I believe I would have to get a 2nd adaptor for DK.
I am looking for a camera that gives sharp 4x6 or 5x7 photos, can be used with low light, and takes good panoramic shots. If the camera has digital zoom, I want to be able to disable it.
Thanks very much for any help that anyone can give me.
Dianne Catalano
Dianne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:28 PM   #2

Dianne-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

I purchased the Sony HX5 and ended up returning it because the video sound was particularly bad and as the ISO was increased the color "bleached" out measurably.

I also purchased and returned the Fuji F-200. Now I do not mean to be rude or appear spiteful, but the constant manual adjustments required to get the most from that camera made me feel that I always has something else to do. In summary, it was way to busy for me. I am no stranger to digital cameras. I own 110 digital cameras and I am a professional digital camera instructor.

I ended up purchasing a Canon G-11 which has been a great camera . It has a larger than normal imager and is very much high ISO capable, as well as producing excellent image quality. To cover the longer zoom shots, I have a Panasonic FZ-35, another good, very user friendly camera.

Yes, in Denmark you will need a plug adapter for the battery charger. The higher voltage will be no problem for the charger, you just need the adapter to plug into their electrical system.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks, Sarah,
If the Fuji was too busy for you, I am sure it would be too busy for me while I am sightseeing. I will look into the Canon G-11 and the Panasonic FZ-35.
Dianne
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:56 PM   #4

Hi Sarah,
I just looked up the Canon G-11 and the FZ-35. They both look like very good cameras, but they are out of my price range. (I had found both of the cameras that I was considering for less). Any other suggetions? I know that a less expensive camera would not likely give me the same image quality, but I may have to accept that. I am trying not to go over $300-350., 375. tops. I have heard that noise is often a problem with the cheaper cameras.
Dianne
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:36 AM   #5

Diane-

Yes, the Canon G-11 is more expensive, but the FZ-35 is within your budget. www.amazon has them at $314.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:46 AM   #6

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the info. Will check out the FZ-35in my local store, and then on Amazon.
Dianne
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:40 AM   #7

Dianne I have purchased three used ones from Amazon Warehouse Deals and each one of them was like new in box...except for maybe a blemish on the box it self they virtually looked new and unused...also Amazon has a great return policy if you decide you don't like the FZ35...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I actually ordered two used ones from Amazon by mistake at the same time and when I got them I really couldn't decide which to send back! They looked that new...

A very good buy on a Used one now at $284 I gave $279 for mine...and if you are an Amazon Prime member it;s free two day shipping if not go ahead and order it with free two day with a trial membership of Amazon Prime and then once received cancel the free 30 day trial membership...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:52 AM   #8
Zoo

FZ-35 will not fit in your pocket.

The best image quality from a pocket sized camera comes from the Canon S90 and the Lumix LX3 (LX5 will be out soon, but it is beyond your budget). Both can produce very good images even at low light. No other pocket camera in you price range can come close to the image quality of these 2, especially in low light (because they have bigger sensors)

If you also want long zoom and good video then have a look at the Lumix ZS7 (TZ10). It seems to be a great overall camera but image quality, especially in low light, will not be as good as S90 and LX3.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:56 PM   #9

Zoo-

Not everyone might want travel cameras with the specifications of the Panasonic LX-3/LX-5, or the ZS7 or the Canon S-90.

Generally speaking, most travelers want some zoom, and the ability to easily frame and set-up their photos without have to fight glare and the inability to properly see when using a LCD screen in bright sunshine. Personally, I think that the Panasonic FZ-35 is a great travel solution.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:41 PM   #10
Zoo

Sarah I made the above comment because Dianne specifically asked for a pocket sized camera.

I don't know what most travelers want, but for some people (me included) the convenience of having the camera in their pocket is a very important factor.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote