Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:01 PM   #1

Default First time DSLR buyer, Good body/lens combo? T1i? T2i? 50D? 40D? haha

Hi guys,

I've been trying to do some research on SLRs and really, I'm running into a lot of conflicting information, so I come to find assistance in making a choice. I simply don't know what body to buy, and on more importantly what lens to get with it.

Like I have listed, I have plenty of Canon I've been looking at. The T2i, T1i, 40D, 50D... All within my price range (Around 1K). Also would it be ok to go refurbished? Checking amazon prices, t1i refurb is pretty nice.

I'm trying to get a camera to learn more in the world of digital photography (I'm 21 years old fyi). I took a couple years of digital arts class back in high school, and I'd really like to continue this education in my spare time.

I want to take pictures in a range of locations. However my main focus will be indoor activities. I actively participate in competitive gaming competitions and wish to better document these events, which of course take place indoors, fast hand motions, not always the best lighting.

Of course outside of this I'd like to be able to take good shots of outdoor locations. Beaches for example, as I live close to the shore, I'd love to get good ocean/beach landscapes.

With this in mind, what would you recommend for a body and lens set? Should I focus on getting a t1i, and then put more money into lenses? Or perhaps the 50D since I want a camera to learn more with? I'm assuming focusing on lenses for these different environments?

I'd appreciate any input, and if there's any questions for me to help clarify I am more than willing to answer.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Kooper; Aug 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM.
Kooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2

Money is always better spent on lenses than on bodies, presuming the bodies you're looking at can all do what you want. And for what you want (fast shutter speeds in poor light) I think you should skip the 40D.

Canon has a good selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses, so Canon is a good choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Money is always better spent on lenses than on bodies, presuming the bodies you're looking at can all do what you want. And for what you want (fast shutter speeds in poor light) I think you should skip the 40D.

Canon has a good selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses, so Canon is a good choice.
Thank you for the input. However with that in mind (no going with the 40D) what would you recommend out of my other choices?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:59 PM   #4

If video is not important to you, the 50D is the best action shooting camera listed, and the most expensive. If HD video is important the T2i has the same video abilities as the 7d. If it is only semi important, the t1i is a better value the the T2i. The t2i and t1i are good for action shooting, but not on the same level as the 50D.

The 50D, t1i and t2i are all good low light cameras.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:08 PM   #5

I don't think 'action' in the sense you're thinking shoturtle is a requirement. This isn't sports - it's 'gaming' - presumably card based games or role-playing games. So focus tracking isn't an issue.

OP - please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

an external flash and/or inexpensive fast prime (like 50mm 1.8) should suffice just fine.

With that in mind, a t1i with 430exII and 50mm 1.8 is a great starter kit - the kit lens will handle general purpose beach shots. If you want to get into more wildlife at the beach you can add a lens at a later date. But nothing in your requirements says you'd benefit much from spending more money on an xxD body at this time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:13 PM   #6

If you are looking to save some money on the flash, also look at the metz 48 or the nissin di622 they are also excellent external flashes for any of the canon.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I don't think 'action' in the sense you're thinking shoturtle is a requirement. This isn't sports - it's 'gaming' - presumably card based games or role-playing games. So focus tracking isn't an issue.

OP - please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Video games, actually. Here's a peek into the world I'm a part of. http://www.igotnextmovie.com/indextrailer.html

I don't know, those finger movements might count as 'action' One thing that worries me is while taking pictures of players I won't be able to use flash because that would be interrupting their gameplay. This is why I worry a good amount about low light environment.

But realistically, thanks for the input guys.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:32 PM   #8

I think a significant portion of your light will be from the screen, which means that if the screen is properly exposed, the player will be underexposed, and if the player is properly exposed, the screen will be overexposed. I think you'll have trouble in poorly lit venues if you can't use flash.

It's also possible that the refresh rate of the screen could cause problems with the image you'll capture of the screen.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:04 PM   #9

The focus would be on the people playing, I was thinking of trying to take shots from behind the TV setups. It won't be pitch black all the time thankfully, only some venues are like that (mostly dimly lit arcades). Bringing flash I think would be ok but I'd have to be careful to only do it post-matches and such, as to not upset players. An upcoming venue of interest will actually be in a hotel ballroom/conference center, so it'll have room lights.

The flighting game community which I am a part of is growing significantly with the release of many highly anticipated games.

It's definitely an interesting and challenging atmosphere, at least to me haha. Being able to catch the emotion of players is my goal. So much thought and lightning reflexes go into fighting games, I personally find it amazing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:15 PM   #10

No flash, then you will be wanting to shoot with some fast primes, that do not hunt in low light like the ef 50 1.8. Instead you will want to look at lenses like the ef 50 1.4 USM and the ef 28 1.8 USM. They are better for shooting in low light.

Those are pretty fast hand action, the higher burst rate of the 50D might help out imho.