Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:28 AM   #11

@john G: Yes I want to learn first and it will be my first DSLR camera.
and thanks I will also contact 'benjikan'
eshban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshban View Post
thanks TCAV for the comparison. You prefer 18-55mm
I don't own either, but if I chose, I would absolutely pick the 18-55 over the 18-135!

It might be a big disappointment for you to spend a lot of money on a new dSLR and get relatively low quality photos from it because of an inferior lens. The lens has a greater impact on the quality of a photo than the camera does.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:27 AM   #13

Well, if I just purchase the body of Canon 550D, then which lens would you recommend to me for Fashion photography shoots. My total budget is US$1100

Please reply me soon
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Well, if I just purchase the body of Canon 550D, then which lens would you recommend to me for Fashion photography shoots. My total budget is US$1100

Please reply me soon
Don't need to spend a fortune for a good portrait lens :

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II : €98
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM : €329
Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM : €328

If you can't afford the 2 last ones , go for the 50mm f/1.8 and you'll have very good results indeed

Now if you want a zoom then it's difficult to beat the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di for €325

Last edited by guillermovilas; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:43 AM.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:00 AM   #15

Some more questions :

Quote:
anon 50mm f/1.8 II : €98

If you can't afford the 2 last ones , go for the 50mm f/1.8 and you'll have very good results indeed

Now if you want a zoom then it's difficult to beat the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di for €325
1) Are these not old lenses,because I want to mount it on latest Canon 550D. Is this thing effects?

2) Are all your 3 lenses are better than canon 18-55mm kit lens?

3) Are they specifically for Indoor fashion shoots and outdoor as well?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:03 AM   #16

Hi I what I would like to ask is what is your photographic knowledge not meaning to be rude but this as you say is your first DSLR you may want to concider classes if your aim is fashion shooting. Also what are going to use to post proccess your images again this will have to fit into your budget.
Just a few extra thoughts as taking the shoot is only part of the process.
Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi I what I would like to ask is what is your photographic knowledge not meaning to be rude but this as you say is your first DSLR you may want to concider classes if your aim is fashion shooting. Also what are going to use to post proccess your images again this will have to fit into your budget.
Just a few extra thoughts as taking the shoot is only part of the process.
Well, I did not take any photgraphy classes due to my busy schedule. As soon as I get my first DSLR camera, i will learn techniques from some online tutorials. You can see my some work at www.eshban.com

for post processing of images I will ususally give the JPG's to the lab for printing. Its very economical in my counry.

So kindly suggest me about lenses
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post
Don't need to spend a fortune for a good portrait lens :

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II : €98
A good portrait lens won't necessarily be a good lens for fashion photography. You generally are shooting in a controlled environment. You can control the background so you don't need to worry about depth of field, you can control the lighting so you don't need the large aperture, and a prime doesn't give you much flexibility.

For fashion photography, you don't need (and probably don't want) the wide angle that the kit lens provides, and sometimes 55mm won't be long enough.

I'd suggest the Tamron 28-75/2.8. It's quite sharp (especially stopped down a little), and has very little distortion, vignetting or chromatic aberration. If it's price is too steep, then the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is also good. If the total cost is still too high, then fall back to the Canon 500D instead of the 550D. The lens is more important than the camera anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
...You can see my some work at www.eshban.com
Ok. I did. While I like the photos, I just want to comment on your web site design. Background music? maybe an opt-in button? personally, unless I REALLY like the music, I can't see a purpose (i.e.: hard rock along with action sport videos). Also, once I drilled down to a portrait, I couldn't see a way to trigger a slide-show or even to do a "Next".

I really like the Flickr way to display photos (a bunch of thumbnails on the bottom of the screen). I also like cover-flow. I realize both are difficult to implement if you're managing your own site. But, the method you've chosen will drive away people just browsing.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote