Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:58 AM   #11

Hi,

Thanks again for all your replies - even tho it's making my choice more trickier lol

So... As I now see it - and based upon 'image quality' as my #1 priority then very possibly an S90 would be my choice, but the zoom & burst limitations are concerns with the S90.

Am I being unrealistic with my perceptions of the S90's limitation? Can anybody put these limitations into context - i.e. examples of how they would affect my picture taking (drag racing, occasional landscape etc)?

Also, a bit of a curveball here, but someone I know is selling a used Canon 400d (with standard kit lens) for 250 GBP - not sure how many actuations), but its been well looked after. And a this price it's in the regions of a new FZ38 or an S90. Would this Canon 400d solve all my problems in a nutshell (yes I know it's bigger and heavier etc - but I could probably live with that!)?

Thank you,

Mike
mcvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:27 AM   #12
Zoo

Did you consider LX5? The only thing that is missing is a long zoom (but still better than LX3) but other than that it should be the perfect compact. (and the price reflects this)

LX5 will be available in 2 weeks from now.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:19 AM   #13

Mike I would still go with FZ38 or S90 so I had video as well...it may work also for the drag racing...the 400D doesn't have that option...and you will need at least a f2.8 lens on the 400D to get quality photos at night drag racing...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:55 PM   #14

Zoo: The LX5 does look impressive indeed - but I think I'd still find myself needing that bit more zoom...

LTZ470: I think the same goes for the S90 - lack of zoom would frustrate me.

I think it's gonna be an FZ38 for me
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:00 PM   #15

MCVW-

The Panasonic FZ-38 is an excellent choice, it is small, quick, and fast, weighing just 14 ounces. It represents a nice compromise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:30 PM   #16

So... I go to the store tonight to buy an FZ38... only to find that I can't actually buy it in store for the online price and that I have to order it (via the website) to collect from the store on Monday!!!!

However, while I was in the store I was sorely tempted by a Samsung NV11 at 120 GBP. The FZ38 is 250 GBP and I'm now thinking if I should go for the Samsung LOL!!

Anybody have an opinion on the Samsung?

Thank you
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:54 PM   #17

mcvw-

Personally, I would surely steer clear of the Samsung NV11. However if you wanted to blow 120 pounds sterling in a hurry it would sure be a good way to do it.

You would however, not like the image quality and the photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:55 PM   #18

Yet another twist in this tale... A work colleague is upgrading their dSLR and has offered me a Sony A200. I actually borrowed it at the weekend. Quite like it too. Sure, it's heavier and bulkier than I was looking for, but as a previous poster said, 'image quality' is most important. Sooo... Would a 10mp A200 be better that the Panny FZ38???

Thank you,

Mike
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:04 PM   #19

Mike-

I have owned the Sony A-200, and currently own the A-500 and A-230.

With the A-200 a lens to match the zoom power of the FZ-38 would be very dear (highly priced!!) indeed! So, if you can do without the 500mm zoom, the A-200 might be an OK choice.

The 18-70mm kit lens that came with the A-200 is nothing to write home about. The Sony 55-200mm lens can usually be found on E-Bay for less than $(US)100.00. That would give you a 300mm reach, in 35mm terms.

So at the outset, you will probably need to purchase the Sony 18-55mm lens and the Sony 55-200mm lens to make a good kit out of it. To me the FZ-38 seems to be the better kit.

Sarah Joyce