Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:01 AM   #1

Default Am I being too fussy?

Hi,

I've been umming and ahhing trying to decide upon a good quality compact(ish) camera for a while now - and I feel enoughs enough

Initially I was comparing the Panasonc TZ10 and the Sony HX5 (of which I chose the Panasonic), however I am now swaying towards the Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3 (or possibly the Samsung EX1/TL500) - due to the better image quality.

I'm aware of the zoom limitations of the S90/LX3 - but I am also aware of the advantages these have over the TZ10.

I mainly take pictures of my kids, or VW's (static car show, sometimes drag-racing). I also take the odd scenery snap (if on holiday etc).

Video isn't high on my list, but I do like the depth-of-field type pictures.

So... Should I go for the the TZ10, or am I best opting for the S90 or LX3 (can you put a filter on these)?

I appreciate these questions have been asked before - and I did search the forum, but again I couldn't find a conclusive answer.

Thank you,

Mike
mcvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:14 AM   #2

Summer's here. Unless you can ask your kids to put off having fun and growing older for a few months, I would suggest getting the new camera RIGHT NOW!! Others in the forum are much better suited than I to discuss "which camera". My main view is to get-er-done.

Just as an idea tho, years down the road you'll be happier with better image quality. I think it's unlikely you'll say "well, the pictures aren't very good but, you know, that camera sure was sweet to carry around".
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Mike-

Several months ago I faced the same decision. Having decided that it was better to pay a bit more, to get measurably better image quality, I began look at the Canon S-90, the Panasonic LX3 and the Samsung EX-1.

I finally decided on the EX-1 and have been very happy with my decision. As Franin-in-Toronto mentioned image quality does indeed make a difference.

Here is a link to a sample photo of my husband taken with my EX-1:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...19_rJN66-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:09 PM   #4

Hi,

Thank you for the responses

I had actually begun to look at alternatives - that might offer a more 'complete package' and I was wondering if the likes of the FZ38 would be just the thing I'm looking for?

I appreciate it doesn't offer 'the level of quality' that the S90/LX3/EX1 does but it looks a very close alternative.

Can anybody advise pros/cons regarding the FZ38 vs an S90/LX3/EX1?

Thank you,

Mike
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:26 PM   #5

Yes the FZ38 will be a good family camera and the video is great with good sound...the flash is much stronger than any of the above of course it won't do quite as well in low light, but up to ISO800 it is very good...it is light and perfect size to even put in a belt pouch, great for family outings...great macro ability...good zoom ability with EZ Zoom feature...good battery life, but get a second and if you travel a lot a DC charger for the car which are cheap but are AC/DC...the LC-55 Converter and the LT-55 Converter have both been fun to me also...the EVF is decent too...

CAN'T beat the price for what you get...best bang for the buck (or euro) for my money!!

BUT that is a great picture of Bradley!, Sarah!

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 6, 2010 at 2:30 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:27 PM   #6

mike-

The Panasonic FZ-35 is in an entirely different category or class of cameras called super zooms or bridge cameras. The FZ-35/38 is a very good camera, but it does have a small imager (1/2.33) and can not really be compared to the LX3/S-90/EX-1 trio that has a much larger imager, which accounts for their much better image quality.

The FZ-35/38 is a very user friendly camera and is at the top of it class, but it is different. The FZ-35/38 has some high ISO cvapability, but it tops out at ISO 800. So if you want a lot of zoom, the FZ-35/38 is a good choice, but it will not have the image quality, nor the real high ISO capability of either the LX3/S-90/EX-1 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:09 PM   #7

Hi Sarah,

Thanks again for a very informative reply.

From having a quick scout around I think that perhaps the features of a super-zoom/bridge camera are what might suit me better than a compact.

The Panasonic PZ100 (with it's CMOS sensor) looks possibly a better prospect than the FZ38 - though the FZ100 is more expensive... Maybe a Nikon P100.

Though I'm now thinking that these cameras are pretty much putting me within the realms of an entry level DSLR... AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! LOL!

Thank you,

Mike
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:30 PM   #8

Yes, you are solving the puzzle, Mike-

So super zooms begin to be physically larger. At 14 ounces, in my opinion, the FZ-35/38 is just about the ideal size. The Nikon P-100 is measurably larger in size so be careful. The P-100 has also not had the best professional and user reviews, so approach it carefully.

Sarah joyce
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:09 AM   #9

your drag racing will not get great results during the race, Shutter lag will give you problems. But for static shots the points and shoot will work. But if you shoot your drag under the light, none of the megazoom will have the lens capable of dealing with the lighting.

You listed some tough situation for any point and shot to preform well in.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #10

MCVW-

Please keep in mind that realistically night drag racing is not an option with a super zoom like a Panasonic FZ-35. I have personally used a FZ-35 for theater photography under very good lighting. However, my shutter speeds were pretty much always under 1/100th, and thus unable to capture an action.

I shoot super zooms and DSLR cameras, and there will indeed be times when the super zoom is not a realistic option, and you will have to switch over to a DSLR camera. Shutter lag is really not a problem on the FZ-35/38. It is simply that the FZ-35/38 hits its maximum at ISO 800, while my DSLR cameras can go considerably higher on the ISO scale.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM.