Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:57 PM   #1

Default Any compacts with ≥1.5 FPS unlimited continuous shooting AND optical zoom in movies?

Subject says it all. Is it possible to find a compact digital camera that will:
-Shoot continuously at >1.5 FPS indefinitely
-Let you use the optical zoom in movie mode
-Does not use that backlit 10MP CMOS sensor that produces crappy, fuzzy, low-contrast images even in the Canon SD4000?

The Panasonic FH20 (and several other cheap Panasonics) have the unlimited continuous shooting, but won't let you zoom in movie mode. The Panasonic ZS/TZ series zoom in movie mode but won't shoot continuously. Canon used to have fast unlimited continuous shooting, but they lost it once they got over 7 MP. And the new backlit CMOS compact sensor produces hideous pictures no matter whether it's in a Sony, Casio, or Canon.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? The Panasonic wFH20 would work fine, except they disabled zoom-in-movie-mode for some unknown reason (GRRRRRR)

Thanks!

Last edited by El Caballo; Aug 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM. Reason: carriage returns were borked
El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
Does not use that backlit 10MP CMOS sensor that produces crappy, fuzzy, low-contrast images even in the Canon SD4000?
So there is a problem with the CMOS sensor. I just got an SD4000 (Ixus 300 HS), and the images are indeed less sharp than on my aging SD700 (Ixus 800 IS). Rather disappointing, because the camera seems to be excellent otherwise. Well, apart from overexposure in very bright areas, it seems.

Quote:
Canon used to have fast unlimited continuous shooting, but they lost it once they got over 7 MP. And the new backlit CMOS compact sensor produces hideous pictures no matter whether it's in a Sony, Casio, or Canon.
The SD4000 allows for continuous shooting in full resolution, and it's pretty fast. At least 3-4 fps in decent lighting conditions. But as you say, it produces images that, while they look fine when zoomed out, if you zoom to 100%, you really notice a lack of detail compared to older cameras.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camvard View Post
So there is a problem with the CMOS sensor. I just got an SD4000 (Ixus 300 HS), and the images are indeed less sharp than on my aging SD700 (Ixus 800 IS). Rather disappointing, because the camera seems to be excellent otherwise. Well, apart from overexposure in very bright areas, it seems.
That's funny, because we have the exact same problem...I have an SD700 too (which just crapped out) and I can't find a single camera made today that produces shots that look AS GOOD as it does, let alone any better!

The problem with more megapixels is that the sensor is no bigger than before...so less light is hitting each pixel, and the image can't have as much contrast. This causes overexposure in bright areas and underexposure in dark areas. The upshot: digital cameras are actually getting worse every year!

Fujifilm is the only company to understand this, and makes their EXR cameras with a 6MP mode that increases dynamic range...but they don't have continuous shooting and their UI sucks.

Maybe I'll just have to find a used one on ebay and hope it lasts...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

The SD4000/300HS had such promise because they didn't just throw even more megapixels in there. It could have been worse: 14 megapixels...
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
The Panasonic ZS/TZ series zoom in movie mode but won't shoot continuously.
Thanks!
The ZS3 can shoot continuously. I dont know the rate tho, but seems about 1.5 - 2 per second.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
The ZS3 can shoot continuously. I dont know the rate tho, but seems about 1.5 - 2 per second.
Wow...you're right! Good catch.

Unfortunately it's been discontinued, and its successors (the ZS5 and ZS7) have dropped the unlimited continuous shooting. Still goes for $300 new on ebay, too. Maybe I'm not the only one who wants that feature.

Meanwhile I bought another SD700 on ebay for $50. Hopefully when this one breaks, it'll break in a different way and I can use it to repair the first one. Or maybe by then, Fuji will have come out with something that will shoot continuously.