Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Superzoom advice/help please...

Hi

I've always had the small point and shoot cameras. I'm looking for something with a little bit more zoom and manual controls but I do not want a SLR.This camera needs to have a decent zoom, great video recording capabilities, and somewhat lightweight/packable as it will accompany me on a lot of my hunting trips. So, I came upon the superzoom lineup and I thought I had it narrowed down to one camera...I was wrong.

I've been able to put my hands on the Nikon P100 and the Canon Sx20IS. I liked the Nikon's zoom and full HD movie mode but read some bad reviews stating it would freeze up and that the batteries had to be removed to remedy the problem. I then moved to the Canon and like its rotating LCD and hotshoe (not sure if I'd use it though) but wasn't quite as happy with the zoom. It was a bit bulky too.

Now, I'm looking at the Lumix FZ35 but no one near me has one for me to check out. Overall, I like what I read about it but I just wish it had a longer zoom and flip-out LCD screen (which I didn't realize I'd needed until seeing it on other cams ). I just wonder if this cam will have enough zoom for my needs and perform well in lowlight situations such as under a tree canopy?
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2

Take a look at the fuji HS10, it seems to be a very good long zoom. The longest megazoom currently.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3

Finch-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

I am a Fuji HS-10 user, the poster ahead of this post is not an HS-10 user.

I happen to think that makes a sizable difference. The HS-10 is a much larger camera and more weighty camera, than the FZ-35. Right out of the box, the FZ -35 is a much more user friendly camera. The Fz-35 weighs only 14ounces with battery and memory card. The HS-10, in my opinion, and after personally working with the camera, has a longer learning curve.

If I were just getting into super zoom camera for the first time, I would choose the FZ-35 over the HS-10.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:02 AM   #4

If you feel you need more zoom the what the fz35 has, you may want to see how the new panasonic fz40 or fz100 performs. It jumps form 18x to 24x, not quite as much as the 30x of the HS10, but it gives you better reach.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the help guys! Sarah...I was hoping you'd say hello. I've read a lot of your posts lately and have seen your name on a couple different sites.

Shoturtle: I've thought about waiting but from what I hear the FZ40 isn't much of an upgrade from the FZ35 and the better deal would be the FZ35.

Am I just getting caught up on the numbers? The Lumix's 18X zoom just doesn't seem like a lot for what I want. BUT then again, I'm not sure how far 18x will "reach" out. I guess I could always get the 1.7x teleconverter lense if I was not satisfied.

My main concerns about the Lumix FZ35:

-I have not found a store nearby that carries this camera. I like to do my research and handle each product.
-no flip-out LCD which I'm not really sure I would need but it sure sounds handy
-18X zoom which may or may not be enough

I got some tough decisions ahead of me. I guess I'm torn between the FZ35, Nikon P100, and Fuji HS10. Everything I read though tells me FZ35. Why does this have to be that hard?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:50 AM   #6

It's not the HS10 is very large & heavy compared to FZ35...it has a manual zoom lens which is a plus for some...the FZ35 is so light, easy to carry, great performer and the rechargeable battery is great with excellent battery life...the AA batteries on the HS10 are OK but not for my liking, they make the camera heavy and it already is basically a mini DSLR in size and weight...the EVF on the HS10 is not as good as the FZ35...the microadjustments on the HS10 are required significantly more than the FZ35...
Taking the FZ35 hiking or to Seaworld is a treat...the HS10 is much more cumbersome and more of a around the home camera for me...Sarah even carries her FZ35 in her purse...I don't think she'll be doing that with the HS10...

The Nikon P100 I wouldn't even consider to be honest...

As far as fps yes the HS10 will out shoot the FZ35 (I think it is 7 fps for HS10) but look at these shots from Seaworld indoors with FZ35 and you'll realize it's not great, but it ain't all the bad either...I thought FZ35 did extremely well for a $280 used camera...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-seaworld.html
Here's the zoom on the FZ35 to give you an idea and the IQ is not bad for handheld:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...abilities.html

Flip out LCD sounds good in theory but adds to the weight and size of the camera...it's probably just me, but I like the convenience of a small very capable camera for hiking and theme park fun with the kids as I have a belt pouch that holds the FZ35 alone so I can enjoy while not being loaded down with a DSLR sized camera...a 3" LCD with 400,000 res is great...also when hiking with the FZ35 on a Monopod it is very easy to handle, unless I put the large Teleconverter on it then it gets larger and heavier, but still find it comfortable to hike with...

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:04 AM   #7

Having recently acquired the Kodak Easyshare Z981, I would suggest that you should really try this one too, considering it's low price compared to fz35/hs10 (100 euro/150 euro cheaper). I am a novice user of digital cameras and I find it that z981 is quite easy to use even in M mode (ok, I am not getting the results but I am more playing with the camera as I am reading a book about exposures).

I have tested the fz35 in a store and find it quite small for my big hands - my fingers almost couldn't get in the inner side of the grip. However, it looked quite steadier at max zoom than my kodak at 26x (need a tripod certainly), for that reason I would consider it. The hs10 I picked only for a couple minutes and it looked more sturdy and better quality, however I was lost in the settings and people where waiting to try it behind me so I didn't have the chance to try and shoot something.

For Olympus sp800uz and Nikon P100 I have read too many unpleasant comments from users to discard them immediately (though I tried a sp800uz yesterday at an electronics store and it seemed more like a toy to me and it take more time to change M settings from the menu rather than dials). Cannon SX20 IS was my first choice initially but all I could find were overpriced cameras compared to the internet here and I dropped it completely - I have only picked up one and it had the most dslr-like handle & feel.

As for IQ I can't really say for any, as I have seen the z981 produce very high quality images in flickr - I haven't, but I am not moving out of the appartment during daylight because of heat so no chance to do so - and it was one of the main reasons I picked it besides the big zoom & features vs. price.
sakisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8

saskisf-

Well when you consider that the FZ-35 price was less than $300.00 this morning, 08/08) at www.amazon.com, a very respected internet seller, the price difference is beginning to narrow quickly between the FZ-35 and the Kodak Z-981. I expect the FZ-35 to come down even further as the FZ-45 becomes available.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:46 PM   #9

Thanks again for the responses!

Will this camera perform well in low-light situations? Would it perform well enough for an amateur's liking?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:52 PM   #10

none of them will perform well in low light out of flash range, this is not their strong points. 800iso is about the top end of these camera. You can shoot at 1600, but you will have to run them through some noise reduction software to clean them up. But you will lose some detail at the same time.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote