Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Super Moderator

oh sure. the collapsing kit lens comes with it. its a 14-42 standard zoom that folds inwards when not using, keeping it small during transport. any review of the EPL1 will comment on this lens that is included.

the other lens you may consider for purse/bag use is a pancake lens, which is even smaller, but of course it is not a zoom.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Asph...1322782&sr=8-1
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12

here are some samples form a macro lens I added

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...my-garden.html

But if you check out the olympus m4/3 forum on steve, you will see more sample other member has shot with different lenses.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:30 PM   #13

Shoturtle,

What is the optional EVF you mentioned in your first post?
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:35 PM   #14

the camera only has a lcd for composing, but you can add a electronic view finder eye piece. it makes shooting in bright sunlight easier, and makes using a long zoom more stable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Black_.html
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the camera only has a lcd for composing, but you can add a electronic view finder eye piece. it makes shooting in bright sunlight easier, and makes using a long zoom more stable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Black_.html
Got yeah. We turn off the LCD on our XSi anyways so I would prob get one of those.

Any P&S I should be looking at? Does the ELP1 only have lens zoom? Suggestions on an all-around great lens? My wife will probably not swap out lens as she needs them.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:38 AM   #16

the epl1 can use all the panasonic m4/3 lenses, and there are currently 2 m4/3 prime lenses. the panansonic 20mm 1.7 and the olypmus 17mm 2.8. Also if you get a 4/3 adapter, the panansonic one is cheaper. You can use all the 4/3 dslr lenses form sigma and olympus for the epl-1. So you can use all the prime lenses from sigma and olympus dslr if you want.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the epl1 can use all the panasonic m4/3 lenses, and there are currently 2 m4/3 prime lenses. the panansonic 20mm 1.7 and the olypmus 17mm 2.8. Also if you get a 4/3 adapter, the panansonic one is cheaper. You can use all the 4/3 dslr lenses form sigma and olympus for the epl-1. So you can use all the prime lenses from sigma and olympus dslr if you want.
So my lens I have on my XSi will work with EPL1? If I put my lens from my XSi onto the the EPL1, will it be close to the same size as the XSi? Still fit in a purse/baby bag? I think the lens I have is 28-200mm.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:08 PM   #18

It can, with a ef to m4/3 adapter, But you will have no apeture control or AF. You can mount just about any lens on a m4/3 camera. Donlduc has put sample of a panny GH1 with a ef 28-135mm lens on the board. I would not recommend it.

With panasonic they are part of the m4/3 partnership. So any all their lenses meet a signal m4/3 standard. So they are interchangeable between brand in the partnership. Currently olympus and panasonic are making m4/3 camera, Leica might soon as they are part of the partnership. And sigma has sign on to the partnership. So they should be coming out with m4/3 lenses.

But m4/3 uses the same systems as the 4/3 dslrs. So the lenses from the 4/3 dslr will be fully functional with the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 PM   #19

Also what about the Canon SD4000?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:27 PM   #20

the sd4000 is a nice little point and shoot, but it is only ok in low light. But if you were looking at the sd4000, think the s90 would actually be a nicer camera. It is a bit better in low light, and with a slightly larger sensor. It has a bit better image quality. But with all point and shoot, you will have very little control over dof. So if you want to take a portrait shot, and want to blur the background. It is not going to be that easy with the smaller sensors.

But none of the point and shoots will come close to what the olympus can do in image quality or low light. The epl-1 is actually has better noise control with it's 4/3 sensor the the sony nex with it's aps-c sensor form 100-1600iso. But form 3200iso and up the sony takes over. And the nex sensor is sony's newest sensor and will be making it's way into their dslr's.