Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:34 PM   #1

Default What to get for the wife???

So I went from the Pentax K100D to the Canon Rebel XSi. My wife actually likes the XSi LESS because it's automatic mode is not as good to use. I am aware that the XSi is a very good camera but its pretty overwhelming to figure out how to use it properly. Auto mode doesnt do that great at times and we have some fuzzy pictures at times. I am looking for a camera that can take amazing pictures with little to no knowledge on how to make all of the adjustments on the camera. I have a 3 year old boy and a 4 month old boy.

1. Budget = Under $1500. And maybe more if I get both a DSLR and a P&S. I dont buy cameras too often and pictures are very important to my family so I do not mind making an investment.
2. Size = I would like DSLR and smaller options. I have read that a P&S really cannot hang in quality with a DSLR. But as most of you know sometimes carrying around a DSLR like the XSi when you are a mom of two boys is just too much. Having a camera that will fit in her purse would be a good option.
3. Looking for an easy to use camera. My wife doesnt need to adjust ISO, shutter speed, etc. Just press the button and take a picture.
4. Zoom and low light are really not a concern. I would like them to be decent but its not like I need X amount of zoom or most of my pictures are taken in the dark. So not a top concern.
5. HD video would be a perk but not a top concern either. I have a very nice HD video camera already.

So I am asking the experts for help? Any suggestions? Did I provide enough facts that will allow you guys to make a solid recommendation?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and thoughts on this.
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

micro 4/3 cameras, something like the epl-1 form olympus. It has a very easy to use scene mode, and iauto mode. It is about 800 dollars if you get the optional EVF. Very compact. DSLR image quality. The epl-1 will shoot well upto 2000iso. You can add a 280 dollar panasonic 45-200mm zoom lens or the olympus 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and the 42-150mm zoom. With a crop factor for 2x these lenses will reach out to 400mm or 300mm.

If you want a pretty easy to use dslr, the pentax k-x has a really simply user interface. This is the second smallest dslr on the market.

The olympus e620 is the smallest dslr, and has a really simple to use auto system also.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:32 PM   #3

teecee-

Your wife cannot stow a DSLR or even a m4/3 camera in her purse or the diaper bag. I know I can't, but it may depend on the size purse your wife uses. Just a suggestion, but the Kodak Z-950 has received very good reviews, has 10X optical zoom, does HD video, and can use ISO 800 with ease.

The Z-950 is bargain priced at www.amazon.com for $(US)131.00 and is is nice and small so it will go into a purse with ease, but not too tiny so that the controls are too small.

We have two in our house for family use and everyone loves them.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4

My wife carries the epl-1 in her purse allot, with either the kit lens or the pancake lens. It is a standard size purse. And she travel a whole allot. The only purse that it does not fit in is her clutches, and cocktail dress purses. She recently took it on a trip to vancouver with just the kit lens, and it fit into her small longchamp purse without a problem.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5

here are some samples of the olypmus epl1 against a canon T1i. We had zoom lenses on, but you can see that they are very close in image quality.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...s-germany.html

Here are some shots with just the kit lens on the olympus.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...couver-bc.html
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6

I understand that a DSLR will not fit in her purse which is why I said I am open to both DSLR and P&S. So please give out some suggestions for both or maybe a good inbetween.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i would agree that an EPL1 with the collapsing lens or a pancake would fill the bill for a reasonably compact camera whos image quality is up to par with a DSLR. The size is about midway between a dslr and a standard p&s, but really the image quality on my epl1 is everything my dslr does to be honest, and does it in a size that i can easily wear all day or put in a small pouch.

furthermore it as a full auto side that will be easy to use for your wife. as well as full manual type controls when that is desired. not to mention oly's jpeg engine is the best in the business.

if that size is good for you, i can't think of a better option for portable dslr image quality.

you can see many examples in my flickriver, linked in my sig.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i would agree that an EPL1 with the collapsing lens or a pancake would fill the bill for a reasonably compact camera whos image quality is up to par with a DSLR. The size is about midway between a dslr and a standard p&s, but really the image quality on my epl1 is everything my dslr does to be honest, and does it in a size that i can easily wear all day or put in a small pouch.

furthermore it as a full auto side that will be easy to use for your wife. as well as full manual type controls when that is desired. not to mention oly's jpeg engine is the best in the business.

if that size is good for you, i can't think of a better option for portable dslr image quality.

you can see many examples in my flickriver, linked in my sig.

Any links to thee lenses that you mention for the EPL1?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:54 PM   #9

beside the olympus epl-1, there are other small evil cameras on the market. The sony nex3 and nex5, and the panasonic GF1. The sony is completely menu driven with a gui, it is a bit awkward to uses. But the olympus is actually lower in noise and has slightly higher quality according to popular photography the the sony sensor. And the lenses are also much better then the sony.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:57 PM   #10

Here is a first impress I did with the epl-1 when I got it, and added sample when I added different lenses.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html