Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
A good tip get an sd card go to shop and take some pictures you can then compare at home. Also you will feel what the cameras are like. Best of luck
While, on the face of it, that sounds like a good strategy, c_noob has a number of different combinations of camera and lens to choose from. Asking a salesperson to assemble each of the combinations c_noob is interested in is quite an imposition, after which, c_noob will simply walk out the dorr with only a promise to return and buy one of them. I'd be reluctant to ask for such consideration.

And pairing the Canon 550D with the 15-85 would be tough competition for anything except either the Pentax K-x or the Sony A500/A550 with a Tamron 17-50/2.8, which, frankly, would be a better choice for what c_noob wants to shoot.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:27 PM   #22

I researched a fair bit myself and to be honest, a DSLR is the best to go for. I hated the EVF of the Pany G10. Optical Viewfinder is miles better etc.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:13 PM   #23

Each system has their uses. You really can not generalized that the dslr is the best option. As some venues do not allow a dslr in, so if you only have a dslr, you are not getting any photos. While a m4/3 is not a issue. And you get dslr control and image quality. I have use the elp-1's evf and it does a heck of a job. And the G2 has a very good evf also not quite as fast to refresh as the epl-1. The G10 is very small, and I did not like it either. And if you travel say 300,000 miles a year on airplane, a dslr can easily get cumbersome, I know from first hand experience.

And some may be willing to give up the dslr quality for something way easier to carry like the G11, which is one of the best bridge cameras on the market.

It really comes down to what you need, and what compromises you are will to make. That way you get the right tool for the job.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 6:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:22 PM   #24

Plus, it also matters how a camera feels in your hands. How it handles 'for you'. I found this out the hard way by buying and trying a few different cameras.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Plus, it also matters how a camera feels in your hands. How it handles 'for you'. ...
And that is certainly a valid way, and a way that I wholeheartedly recommend, to make your final selection from among all the cameras that otherwise will do what you want. But it's not a criterion to be applied too early in the selection process. And this is too early.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote