Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:48 AM   #1

Default Canon EOS 550D or Canon Powershot G11 or...?

Hi guys, I am new here. I was wondering if I should get Canon EOS 550D or Canon G11.

I need a good camera (preferably light) since I am travelling a lot, and I like to take pictures of buildings, nights scenes and wildlife.

Can anyone please give some advice on which camera would be useful in the long term? Thanks a lot and really appreciate the help.
c_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:35 AM   #2

How did you narrow your selection down to just those two?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:38 AM   #3

Hi and welcome. The answer I would give is that the g11 is a lot smaller and easy to travel with. If you want the best pictures then I would go with the 550d but you will need extra lenses. If you get an DSLR remember you are buying into a system.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:43 AM   #4

Hi all, thanks for the replies! Well, actually my original plan is to get a Canon 550D, but then my friend recommended me Canon G11,and since it is smaller and lighter than 550D, I am now having second thoughts about the 550D. So thats why I came to these two choices. However, if you think there are better choices, please advice me!

I wouldnt need the best pictures. I just need the pictures to be sharp, and I would really want nice night scenes. Besides, I think it would be troublesome to carry different lenses around. Will 550D do just fine without any extra lenses?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:05 AM   #5

The Canon kit lens is quite good, but for low light images, you might be better off with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, and the Tamron is wider which will help what you want to do. Neither of them will be stabilized on the 550D, or any Canon body for that matter, and for what you want to do, stabilization is a good idea. And, btw, the stabilized versions of those same lenses aren't as good. Canon has a 17-55mm f2.8 lens that is stabilized, but it's very expensive.

For what you wnat to do, you might be better off with a camera that has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so you can use a better, less expensive lens to do the same thing. Both Pentax and Sony make dSLR bodies with stabilization in the body, and that will work well with either the Tamron or Sigma lenses I mentioned.

Nothing I've mentioned, however, addresses your interest in wildlife photography, however. For that, you'll need a much longer lens. If you're looking for a small package to do everything, the G11 won't be a very good choice since it doesn't go long enough for wildlife shooting, and the aperture and ISO aren't up the choices availale to you with a dSLR either. The G11 would be a poor compromise, not doing anything you want very well.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:49 AM   #6

If you want more control, and the options of a dslr. You may want to look at a micro 4/3 camera for your travel needs. That is what I use when traveling. They are almost as small at the G11, but have a much larger sensor, so you get greater image quality. And all the m4/3 lenses are quite compact as well.

My wife flies with our olympus epl-1 in her purse with either the kit lens or the panasonic pancake lens. This gives greater low light performance then the g11, while giving dslr quality as it is the same sensor as the olympus dslr's

The only thing the m4/3 are not good for is action shooting or extreme low light shooting. If you want action a dslr is a better tool like the 550d.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:06 PM   #7

Thanks again for the advices and suggestions. Now it seems like G11 is out of the picture. Which Pentax or sony model can do what I wanted? (including wildlife) And maybe I should stop considering 550D as well, since the lens wont be stabilized on that canon body.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:24 PM   #8

go with the pentax k-x, if you are considering the sony and the pentax. The sony's in the same price range are no where near as good.

The 550D is a really good camera. I have a 500D, and have a non stabilized macro lens, and I really do not have any issues with hand held stuff, as I can shoot at 2.8. As all the good macro lenses out the market are very bright. It is just a slight hinder, not a really problem. And when you do 1:1 macro, you will be using a tripod, so you will turn the IS off anyways. IS is nice but really not that important.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:17 PM   #9

Sony has a broader selection of dSLR bodies than Pentax, and shoturtle is right, the Sonys that cost the same as the K-x aren't comparable. But I remind you that what counts are the lenses. And while the Sony models that are on par with the Pentax K-x (specifically, the Sony A500 & A550) are more expensive, Sony has more and better lenses available, especially for what you want to do.

And while shoturtle is correct about stabilized macro lenses not being a really big deal, we ruled out the Canon because the large aperture, stabilized, standard zoom lens was so expensive. And you'll definitely benefit from the stabilization when shooting night scenes. And when shooting handheld macro, having stabilization is better than not having it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:23 PM   #10

I shoot a ton in the dark, the canon has way more larger aperture lenses to chose form. Though not stab. Having 1.4 and 1.8 primes are really the best route for night shooting, I can give up on IS with a fast prime. So stabilized lens are nice, but not an end all be all imho.

Also the 550d has way better HD abilities the then pentax, and the sony just do not offer it currently.