Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:04 PM   #11

Although somewhat contradictory, all of the above advice is valid. Welcome to the wild, wonderful, confusing, opinionated world of DSLRs.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:39 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice guys. After thinking really hard about it, i'm still lost in making a decision. In my mind, if i'm dishing out 400 dollars for a camera I want a powerful piece of technology that is capable of taking great pictures. Sure I'll be using this camera for small things like facebook and family but I also want the option to be artsy and get amazing photographs if I see something that catches my interest. I may be willing to wait another month or so to save up a few more hundred dollars to get an SLR, but I am still undecided if it's what I'm looking for. So after more research, i found the Sony NEX-3 or 5. It's pretty much everything you want in a P&S with the option to act like DSLR (from what i understand). Do you think this camera would be worth waiting for and worth the extra 300 or so dollars? If so what lens is compatible with it that would be ideal? I'm sorry for having so many questions and being so indecisive, but this may be one of the hardest technology purchases I have ever made as far as decisions go. Unfortunately not many people I find have experience with the Samsung CL80 and there's not many sample images and reviews on the internet, it's the only thing keeping the camera from being my #1 choice as far as P&S goes. Thanks again for the helps and opinions, hopefully my mind can be made up soon...
mattd708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:50 PM   #13

on the NEX, no

It is not that easy to use, and the olympus epl-1 actually out perform it in nosie from 100-1600iso, and have sharper photos. The lenses on the nex are very soft compare to the it's competition in the EVIL market and DSLR quality.

And thought I love EVIL cameras, they are way better then point and shoots for action, but are still behind a dslr for shooting action. All EVIL like the NEX have dslr sensors either APS-c in the nex or 4/3 in the epl-1. So you do get much better photos, the will just destroy any point and shoot in low light and in image quality and control.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:12 PM   #14

From what i've seen on youtube with amateur vids using the NEX-5 it produces amazing quality, and the sample images i have found on the internet vary from beautiful to alright. I like the fact that i'm getting a mostly compact camera that is capable of producing slr quality images, and i can still have a movie mode. It's also capable of taking any alpha lens with a special adapter, so the customization isnt extremely limited. It has definately taken first place in my mind. Are there any NEX users here that can give a further opinion on it? As far as ease of use as mentioned in the previous post, i love challenging pieces of technology, i would prefer an advanced camera that forces me to learn instead of a simple one that tells me everything off the bat. I have not checked out the olympus but will do so now, although sony is a brand i personally trust more.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:16 PM   #15

if you do a search on youtube, there reviews that said it does not even match up to the panasonic GF1, that the panny is actually sharper. and the epl-1 is a better EVIL then the GF1 as a camera.

I have shot the nex and they put a great sensor in it, and hinder it with not as good lenses as it's competition. Sony will sell allot, just because it is sony

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:24 PM   #16

Here is one from youtube. Pretty much trying to be nice and not saying, but the gf1 is still a better photographers tool.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalR.../1/hBox_wfAM08
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:53 PM   #17

See what I mean?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:18 PM   #18

Yeah, very confusing at times, but even all the review in magazines has the nex lenses as soft. I just read a 3 way H2H with the G2, NEX5 and NX10 and the G2 not as good at 800iso and up was still the was their 3 way test winner in popular photography. The NX actually has the best kit lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:35 AM   #19

For what you want to do, a dSLR would be the best solution, but with your budget, you're a long way from realizing your dreams. And nothing out there for less money will work for you either. Everything else will only take you half way, and then leave you there wanting more but not letting you have it.

I think your best bet is to get either a good superzoom (possibly the Panasonic FZ35) that will take you so far without the pretext of getting any further, like an EVIL camera or a Pentax will do. Either that, or get a refurbished Canon XSi w/18-55 IS kit lens, from Adorama.com for $500 as the foundation of a system that you can build on, and that you can use to get where you want to go.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:43 PM   #20

Thanks for the all of the opinions guys. After thinking it over a ton and reading many reviews and watching many videos, I am still leaning towards the NEX5. I need something compact, customizable, has great photo quality, and shoots HD movies. I am not overly concerned about perfection, while I am very interested in the overall detail and quality of the pictures the camera produces, I am not too concerned about the perfection of how the photos look when cropped or absolute sharpness. I am just looking for a camera that will produce pictures i can show off to friends and produce pictures for my own personal enjoyment, i do not really plan on using this for any professional activities so it does not have to be flawless. If it takes respectable sports photos that are great quality for what I need it for, I'll be perfectly happy. As far as sports journalism goes I am more interested in article writing and reporting than photography, the photography side is just mainly a hobby for my own personal satisfaction and enjoyment. While the video review comparing the NEX5 to the Panasonic GH1 did show that the GH1 had better quality overall, it is not enough for what I am looking for as I do not absolutely need that extra little something, from what i saw in that video the sample pictures/movies the NEX produces is perfect for what I am looking for. Unless I really see something stating that the NEX is a horrible unreliable camera incapable of producing decent photos, I think it is the best for me. Any opinions are welcome, even if you want to tell me how stupid i am , I'm open to tough love. I just want something that will keep me happy, it does not have to be professional, so based off of this information....is this an absolutely awful decision or does it seem good enoguh to keep me satisfied? Thank you all again, your opinions mean a lot to me.

-Matthew