Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1

Default HELP! What to get: Sony A330 or Panasonic fz100

Looking at getting a new camera. Want something that is super zoom capable and saw the new panasonic that is coming out soon. I already know that the DSLR has the potential of add ons as far as zoom lenses. Just wondering if anybody can give me insight as to cons and pros of going with a DSLR over a high end point and shoot including picture quality, etc. Thanks ahead of time! Chad.
crlindstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2

dslr no matter which on will give you greater dof control, greater image quality, way better low light ability. Something a point and shoot megazooms are not as good in, and when it comes to low light, they are completely out of the element. And growth if you want to get deeper into photography, a dslr offer more.

The megazoom is smaller, and easier to carry. It will give you allot of reach for allot less money. And if you are looking for good photos, they do that very well in daylight. Allot easier to use.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:09 AM   #3

I agree with shoturtle. The advantage of a dSLR is that you can customize it to do any type of photography you want. That's just not possible with a superzoom. But the penalty for being able to customize a dSLR is that you must customize it, and that adds cost and bulk.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:28 PM   #4

crlindstrom-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Your decision really comes down to to points:

(1) How much do you want to spend?

(2) Do you want to carry a large kit with multiple lens around?

With a DSLR you are "buying into" a camera system, be it Canon, Nikon , Sony or Pentax. A DSLR kit is also going to be more expensive, and much larger than a super zoom kit. For example the Pentax Kx two lens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax DAL 55-300mm lens will cost $738.00. And with that long zoom lens (the 55-300mm lens) you can only reach out to 450mm, in 35mm terms. That is far shorter than the Panasonic FZ-100 that reaches out to the 35mm equivalent of 672mm!

So there are pro's and con's for both the DSLR camera and the super zoom camera.
However, a DSLR two lens kit will indeed be measurably more expensive, and it will require a much larger kit that weighs more. In addition, any DSLR lens will probably have much less zoom.

The FZ-100 will require a one time investment of $(US)430.00 to 499.00 and you have a small kit with no multiple lens and lens changing in the field.

For those who want to say that super zoom cameras have poor image quality in a low light environment, please take a look at the attached photo. This is a super zoom photo taken without flash and using only theater lighting. I took the attached photo, and I shoot with super zooms and DSLR cameras, so I under both style of cameras very well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:05 PM   #5

Thanks to those who responded. I am torn! Both cameras are appealing as I like the pros and cons of both. I do a lot of hunting and fishing and love to have my camera with me afield, mostly bow hunting for deer. I really do want to invest in a DSLR at some point in my life and I have about $600 right now to play around with. I just don't know if I should take the dive now and go with the Sony....I have read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like a great camera for the price. I guess I can always add on later down the road with more lenses if I just get it now. The smaller Panasonic will be much easier to pack however. Thanks again for the insight. I have visited this site for the past several years and absolutely LOVE it! Very informative and unbiased for the reviews. Thanks again, Chad
crlindstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:37 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlindstrom87 View Post
I really do want to invest in a DSLR at some point in my life and I have about $600 right now to play around with. I just don't know if I should take the dive now and go with the Sony....
Unless you just prefer the smaller A330, with a $600 budget, you may want to look at the A500 instead, since B&H has the kits with a lens at a cart price of $559.95 right now after a recent price drop (which is a really good deal for that class of camera, and only a little more than I see the A330 selling for).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

Compared to the A330, it's got higher usable ISO speeds, better performance, battery life, viewfinder, ergonomics and more.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote