Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Please help with special vision needs in camera

I would really appreciate any advice you could give to me on a new camera purchase. I need to replace my Canon S3 camera primarily because the LCD viewfinder on the back is too small and low contrast for me to see properly to take pictures given recent permanent eye damage.

I am an amateur “Mom” photographer who primarily shoots in automatic mode, expects good/excellent picture quality and would like to have the manual options for continued learning.

Features I would like in a new camera:

The ability to take pictures in Auto mode using the LCD viewfinder (a must)
3 inch bright, non-glare LCD viewfinder (vari-position would be even better)
Price $600 or less (although some flexibility for the right camera)
Len ranging from wide angle to zoom (preferably without needing multiple or expensive lenses)
Image Stabilization
Minimal shutter lag time on both single and continuous shots

Camera’s I’ve looked at so far:

Canon G11 - limited range with standard lens, 2.8” LCD
Canon EOS Rebel XS, XSi either lacking or limited LCD viewfinder composing of pictures (fuzzy at that), limited lens range without purchasing extra lenses
Canon Powershot SX210 IS several poor overall reviews on picture quality
Canon Powershot SX20 IS, more lag than with my S3, 2.5 inch LCD & hard to view in bright light according to several reviews
Nikon Coolpix P100 (sounded perfect until I read several reviews indicating that the picture quality was lacking)

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.
nffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:45 PM   #2

if you do not care for a viewfinder or evf, and want to shoot on a lcd only. You may want to look at and olympus ep1 or ep2, they have high res 3 inch lcd, it is also very small camera. These are good to about 1250iso

If low light is not important, the G1 or G2 and G10 have nice lcd screen that tilt. 600iso is about their upper limit before noise becomes an issue.

Both the panasonic and olympus options are m4/3 cameras.

But if you want a dslr, there is only 1 3inch lcd that tilts. And the is on the sony A550. It is a good camera. The sony is a better liveview camera for shooting then the canon or nikon. They have the best liveview AF system in the dslr market. But you do not get HD because of this.

The M4/3 are also great liveview AF systems. And you get HD

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:57 PM   #3
Super Moderator

yea, i think the m4/3 are good suggestions for the reasons shoturtle mentioned above. the tilt screen on the panasonic's g1/2/10 may be a really great suggestion actually.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:17 AM   #4

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and for your comments and suggestions. I look forward to checking out these cameras.
nffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I would suggest finding a store/pro shop that you could try them out in, if that is possible in your area, that would be a big help in determining which model you like best.

and of course once you do a little scouting, feel free to come back here with any questions that may arise.