Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:56 PM   #11

MattTomCarl-

That brings us back, full circle, to cmaeras with larger than normal imagers that are able to resolve huge amounts of detail quite well. The cameras I am talking about ascending price order are:

Samsung TL-500/EX-1
Canon G-11
Olympus EPL-1
Panasonic G-2

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:52 PM   #12

the fast moving subject, any of the camera you mention may do OK, point and shoots are not the best types of camera for action.

The only time I have seen the epl-1 for 469 is for the body only without any lenses. With all the camera so far mention, the epl-1 is the best low light camera listed. Good to 2000iso.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:29 AM   #13

There was actually a used E-PL1 on Ebay for $470 in excellent condition....with 14-42mm lens
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:52 AM   #14

Check out the Hot Deal on this site for the Sony DSLR-A200K 10MP DSLR + 18-70mm Lens for $260. It's not the lastest greatest, but that's a lot of camera for the money and Sony has a pretty good system to buy into.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:35 PM   #15

pboerger-

I agree with you 100%. The Sony A-200 would have been a good camera for the OP. However, that one A-200 has already been sold. The OP does have an alternative choice. www.walmart.com has the 10mp Sony A-230 on sale at $379.00 with free shipping. That price is under the OP's projected budget, and would provide a very workable solution.

The Sony A-230 is a very user friendly camera that was designed to provide an easy transition for point and shoot users moving up to a better camera. I personally own an A-230, so I have attached a link below to one of my A-230 photos to show you what the A-230 is capable of producing:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...72_obs7q-L.jpg

In addition, I use my A-230 as a one lens camera. So, with the Tamron 18-250mm lens mounted on the A-230, it has sort of become a sophisticated, and easy to use, high quality P+S camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:39 PM   #16

I was just about to pull the trigger on the TL-500 when I saw that someone in my local classifieds was selling a Canon XTi (with 50mm f/1.8 lens) for $400. I know the Canon is older but, assuming it's in good shape, would that be better than the Samsung?
MattTomCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:56 PM   #17

Well I personally do not trust used bodies, as I know my camera bodies see allot of uses and abuses.

But the XTi is a good camera. The AF is not upto the XSi or the T1i or T2i, but it is still better the all the point and shoots. It will work well upto 1600iso compare to most of the camera's mention except for the sony a230 and olympus epl1.

So if you want something that will give you greater image quality then a point and shoot, the XTi will do that. But you need to weight the benefit of price vs the product protection of new.

Personally if you want something that offers the dslr quality, look at the sony mention and the canon XS. They really are not that much pass your budget.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:58 PM   #18

Or if you want to save a bit of money, get a referb from adorama on the XS it is right at your budget, and you get a 1 year warranty with adorama. I have brought factory referb from canon at adorama, never a problem.

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:45 PM   #19

Starting with a new camera is going to require accessory items. The Lower price tag on the Sony A-230 will give you some breathing room. The Sony 55-200mm lens can be consistently purchased on E-Bay for $100.00 or slightly less. The Canon 55-250mm IS lens is double that amount.

The XS at Adorama is three generations older than the Current T-2i. It does not focus as well as the XSi, T-1i or T-2i (the three generations) cameras. The price may indeed fit your budget, but you're purchasing old technology.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:57 PM   #20

The XS is still newer then the XTi. Any you get a one year warranty.