Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:10 AM   #21

Thanks for all of your input. On thinking about it, I decided that I don't want to take the plunge into DSLRs until I have more money to play with. For the time being, I think I'd rather have a good compact than a cheap/old DSLR (which wouldn't even end up being that cheap factoring in the cost of good lenses). Based on the sample photos I've seen, I think the TL-500 will be more than adequate for my purposes.
MattTomCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:08 AM   #22

The Samsung TL-500/EX-1 remains a very good and rather competitive camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:41 AM   #23

I personally don't trust Samsung products. I've had some real bad experiences with them and promised myself never to buy another Samsung. Yes, they offer good value for the money (on paper) but their products are not as reliable as Sony, Panasonic, Sharp (TVs), etc. They will fail much sooner than you expect. So, looking at the specs, the EX1 is very similar to the Canon S90 (the Canon actually offers a slightly longer zoom lens) and inferior to the Panasonic LX3, which is superior in many areas and has been a favorite in this segment of the market. A very solid product. Amazon has the S90 going for $336 (sold by Amazon) and the LX3 for $360 (also sold by Amazon). Those are great prices and both cheaper than the EX1. So, I'd re-consider the decision if I were you.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:27 PM   #24

Tullio-

The lack of reliability in Samsung cameras was surely true 12 to 14 months ago. However, since Panasonic made a major investment in Samsung, and has taken a larger role in camera design, Samsung's dependability and reliability has measurably improved.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:26 PM   #25

I wasn't referring to their cameras but cellphones, TVs, DVD and Blu-ray players. I never had a Samsung camera because of the bad quality of the products I mentioned. I simply don't trust them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote