Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:48 PM   #21

See How big a print can I go with a...
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:18 PM   #22
Administrator

Yes. IMO, you should get nice 13x19" prints.

But, again, Sony will likely be introducing some new camera models going into next month's Photokina. So, if you have a flexible time frame, you may want to wait and see what they have in mind.

Now, having said that, pricing is pretty nice with curent models. So, from a "bang for the buck" perspective, I probably wouldn't hestitate to buy the current model now if you need a camera and don't care about things like video recording (and Sony has already announced they'll be introducing new dSLR models this year with AVCHD video ability)

Like any other technology oriented product, there will always be a newer model offering more features. But, you also need to consider the benefit you'll get by having a camera to use in the interim (and early adopters of new models tend to pay a premium in order to get the "latest and greatest", due to supply and demand, even if it's very difficult to see any difference in image quallity, as you've probably noticed with models introduced after your V1).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:34 PM   #23

Default Glad I waited!!

My new DSLR purchase just became a no brainer (for me) since the announcement of the a55 this morning. Sometimes indecision and abject FEAR have their rightful purposes!!! The a55 seems like the perfect solution for this (old) Sony/CZ fan!!!! I am soooooo glad I waited!!! I was planning to pair the a55 with the SAL 16-80Z. Any thoughts on a good low light prime lens to "round out" the package???? Jim V
Jim V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:25 PM   #24
Administrator

Low light prime for shooting what subject types, and in what conditions?

I've got multiple primes I use with my Sony A700, including the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, and 135mm f/2.8 AF lenses; and the one I use will depend on what I'm shooting. ;-)

Sony also offers some nice primes, and recently announced some some newer primes that should be shipping this fall, too.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...le_primes.html

Sigma is also offering some interesting primes now (30mm f/1.4 EX DC; 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; various macro lenses, etc.).

There are pros and cons to any of them. But, subject type and conditions (lighting, vantage point, etc.) will determine what might work better for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:43 PM   #25

Oh, I think mostly cityscapes at night. Love to look at pics of busy streets at night with all the neon and "glitter"!! Have not been able to do that with my current camera. JV
Jim V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:55 PM   #26

Just realize the A55 has some of the stats are not impressive as they seem. You really can not track action at 10fps or 7fps, as the EVF will not work. 3fps is all you get if you need to track the subject. You can use the 10fps for sweep pano like their point and shoots.

The parllix system has some disadvantages as canon found out in the 90's with the eos RT and eos 1n rs. You loose 1/3 the light. So sony is making it up with iso or bump up sensitivity.

The A580 actually is a better photography tool.

The parllix is good for hd, giving it dslr af system over the contrast system of the current liveview.

I would for go the a900 and a850, sony is getting ready to drop FF camera's form their offering.