Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Compact digital camera with zoom, stabilization, and video

Hi, I'm looking for a small digital camera (easily pocketable) with around 6x optical zoom (or higher), good image stabilization (preferably OIS), video capability (at least 640x480, 25 to 30 fps), and a lens with no external movement. I prefer that all lens movements are within the case of the camera (like camcorders have).

Suggestions don't have to meet all of my requirements, but I'd like to find something as close as possible to my ideal.

Thanks
deluxe washer dryer set is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:49 AM   #2
Zoo

Sony TX7 comes close.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:32 PM   #3

You failed to give us a budget figure. So I will suggest one of the current "best buys." Take a look at the Kodak Z-950. It got a very good review in the recent DPR Travel Zoom competition.

It sells for around $(US)130.00, has 10X optical zoom, full automatic and manual controls, and does HD video that allows zooming while filming.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:32 PM   #4

I've been looking for a z950 in a retail store just to see one up-close. No luck. My main question is: Is it really pocketable? What other cameras does its size compare to?

Thanks,

Ron
3puttpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
You failed to give us a budget figure. So I will suggest one of the current "best buys." Take a look at the Kodak Z-950. It got a very good review in the recent DPR Travel Zoom competition.

It sells for around $(US)130.00, has 10X optical zoom, full automatic and manual controls, and does HD video that allows zooming while filming.
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at the TX7 and the Z950 and decided I like the form factor of the TX7 better. It's thin, easy to pocket, and no bulges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
Sony TX7 comes close.
This camera is exactly the form factor I was thinking about. After looking at this camera, I stumbled on the Amazon underwater camera section. It seems a lot of manufacturers are building cameras like this now. I wasn't thinking about underwater cameras (just a camera without annoying bulges), but it would be nice to have a waterproof and shock-proof camera as well.

So basically I'm looking for a camera of the same form factor as the TX7. It doesn't have to be waterproof if it will save me some cost. 4x optical zoom is okay.

But what I really want is the best stabilization money can buy. The one that has the best stabilization is the one I'll buy. I looked at the Panasonic TS1 and TS2. They say the Power OIS on the TS2 is twice as good as the Mega OIS on the TS1. I have experience with the Mega OIS on Panasonic camcorders, and it's damn good. So, I'm wondering if someone has tried both and can compare.

Any thoughts on the stabilization issue and which manufacturers excel at this?

Thanks
deluxe washer dryer set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:04 PM   #6

3puttpar-

Here is a photo that capsulizes the Z-950 camera size quite well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:06 PM   #7

deluxewasher-

It sounds like the Sony TX-5 or TX-7 are a good match for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8

Thanks Sarah. Well, a dollar bill fits in my pocket just fine so I guess the Z950 should be no problem at all. ;-)

Wish the lens was a bit wider, but I sure am tempted.
3puttpar is offline   Reply With Quote