Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

here are some sample of the epl1 in action.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...couver-bc.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...g-forrest.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...t-germany.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...m-germany.html

In this link you can see how the epl-1 compares to a dslr in very low light.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ris-night.html
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:39 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ektachrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
FYI German museum link is bad
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

For what it is worth, I see the replacement camera to the G-11, perhaps it will be called the G-12, as something that will provide a real opportunity. With the introduction of the G-12, the price of the current G-11 will gradually begin to fall.

The street rumor is that the new "G-12" is probably going to have HD video and a BSI-CMOS imager.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
For what it is worth, I see the replacement camera to the G-11, perhaps it will be called the G-12, as something that will provide a real opportunity. With the introduction of the G-12, the price of the current G-11 will gradually begin to fall.

The street rumor is that the new "G-12" is probably going to have HD video and a BSI-CMOS imager.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,

That sounds very interesting. You have piqued my curiosity. I'm not familiar with the BSI-CMOS imager ?

Is this a larger sensor then the G11 has now...if so, how would it compare in size to an entry DSLR sensor ?

I've been interested in the Canon G series for quite awhile now, the sensor size has made me reluctant to go the next step and purchase one of these fine cameras.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Thanks,

I fixed the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektachrome View Post
FYI German museum link is bad
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Les-

The BSI means back side illuminated CMOS imager. It will be very similar to the same image being used in the Canon SD-4000 camera.It is NOT larger than the current G-11 imager, and it is 60% smaller than imagers used in entry level DSLR cameras. In fact it is measurably smaller than the 4/3 imager used in the Olympus E-620.

My intent will be to catch a good price on the current G-11 cameras after the "G-12" is announced. The BSI-CMOS imager may indeed be new and allow faster operation and HD video, but I am surely not in love with its image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:24 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

The BSI means back side illuminated CMOS imager. It will be very similar to the same image being used in the Canon SD-4000 camera.It is NOT larger than the current G-11 imager, and it is 60% smaller than imagers used in entry level DSLR cameras. In fact it is measurably smaller than the 4/3 imager used in the Olympus E-620.Thanks for info...I wasn't sure. I was wondering if the imager would be equivalent to an entry DSLR...but 60 % smaller is significant, to me.

My intent will be to catch a good price on the current G-11 cameras after the "G-12" is announced. The BSI-CMOS imager may indeed be new and allow faster operation and HD video, but I am surely not in love with its image quality.

Sarah Joyce
The image quality...that's exactly the issue for me with the G series. I was hoping that the new G series would address that by using a larger sensor. I know that with the smaller camera body there's only so much Canon can do to put in a larger sensor.

I'm starting to wonder if any of the newer , smaller cameras have larger sensors. I have been paying good attention to some of new smaller cameras coming from Panasonic and Olympus...but maybe they are a source for a physically smaller (maybe the size of a G11) then a DSLR, larger sensor then a G series...but still priced around a G11.

I'm probably hoping for too much.

Thank you Sarah, for the info, much appreciated.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:29 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Les-

My solution was to purchase a used Samsung TL-500/EX-1. It uses the very same imager as the S-90 and G-11 and actually has remarkable image quality. It is a bit bigger than the G-11 (wider) and at $315.00 delivered it was a good deal.

Here is a link to a EX-1 photo of mine:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...19_rJN66-L.jpg

sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:36 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
algold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 369
Default

To compare the sensor sizes just have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

There is more than 60% difference between the APS-C sensor and G11 sensor
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:28 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

My solution was to purchase a used Samsung TL-500/EX-1. It uses the very same imager as the S-90 and G-11 and actually has remarkable image quality. It is a bit bigger than the G-11 (wider) and at $315.00 delivered it was a good deal.

Here is a link to a EX-1 photo of mine:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...19_rJN66-L.jpg

sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah for the recommendation and the pix to demonstrate pix quality.
Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:02 AM.