Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:40 PM   #1

Default Canon G11 or S90?

I need a new camera and have narrowed it down to a Canon S90 or G11, but I can't decide between the two. The G11 is $100 more, is it worth it? The S90 is smaller and more convenient, but will I be sacrificing quality for convenience? If you think I'm off base with both of these, feel free to suggest another small sized camera! Thanks for all your help!
cmw5682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw5682 View Post
I need a new camera and have narrowed it down to a Canon S90 or G11, but I can't decide between the two. The G11 is $100 more, is it worth it? The S90 is smaller and more convenient, but will I be sacrificing quality for convenience? If you think I'm off base with both of these, feel free to suggest another small sized camera! Thanks for all your help!
First let me say I own neither of these cameras. I am looking at both however and have done quite a bit of research on both.
I have come to the conclusion that if you want a camera that you can bring with you almost anywhere, buy the S-90. If you want more zoom then buy the G-11. To me I'm done lugging a camera around that will require a camera bag. I'm getting the S-90 even with it's few drawbacks.
A number of wiser and more experienced posters on this board have convinced me the S-90 is a good choice for a old 35mm film camera guy. Check them out for yourself at a camera shop

Last edited by Ektachrome; Aug 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:21 PM   #3

Actually the G-11 is quite small itself, being not much bigger than the S-90. I personally like the G-11 camera size and an issue that has not been mentioned, and that was very important to me was the excellent LCD and the prescence of a hot shoe on the G-11.

The replacement camera for the G-11 should be announced in about 30 days or so at Photokina. The G-12, or whatever it might be called is rumored to be a substantial upgrade, and will probably use a BSI-CMOS imager.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the info... would you say it would be worth it to wait a month to see the so-called G12 before purchasing anything?
Do you think the G11 is really worth the extra $100 in comparison the the S90? Thanks again, I'm so indecisive I drive myself crazy!
cmw5682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:29 PM   #5

It would be worth waiting till the end of sept to see what is coming out. But some of the stuff may take couple of months to hit the stores. While other things can be moving into the supply chain already.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:40 PM   #6

S90 f/2.0 lens is worth it, G11 has f/2.8, S90 is 2/3's of a stop faster/brighter (thanks Shoturtle)...beautiful photos from a small performer...Sarah also suggested the Lensmateonline items and I got the add-on grip and the wheel restricter for the back-wheel and it is a perfect set-up now...my wife loves the photos...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-museum.html

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7

actually it has 2/3 of a stop, not 2 stops,

The G11 will let you grow a bit more with add on lenses for macro, wide angle, and tc. So the G11 has more growth room.

Each has it's advantages. Go see which one fits you better. Everyone likes different button layouts.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:59 AM   #8

I have also used the G11 and own the S90...I would suggest looking at the Olympus E-PL1 in place of a G11 then you have 2X the quality photos and a much better growth span and getting better all the time...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:08 AM   #9

The epl-1 is a good option, it is still pretty small. My wife puts it in her purse all the time with the kit lens or pancake lens.

You get a camera that is allot better low light camera. The 1600iso is allot cleaner and I shoot it up to 2000iso and have been happy with the results. Also you can change up lenses, and can add a 20mm 1.7 pancake giving it fantastic low light ability when you turn on the IBIS of the camera.

Also if you need more reach you can add the panasonic 45-200mm lens giving you reach all the way to 400mm at 35mm equivalent or 300mm with the olympus 40-150mm lens with the adapter. And you have a better AF system and none of the shutter lag issues.

Plus you get HD that the g11 and s90 do not have.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:15 AM   #10

Here is an example of the epl-1 with the kit lens at 2000iso indoors. And a crop to show the noise level. Shot taken with the kit lens.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 14, 2010 at 1:23 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote