Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:38 PM   #1

Default Help to find good, smaller-sized P&S

The more I read, the more confused I get! I've been reading for days and I think I'm more confused now than when I started.

I thought I had my choices narrowed down to the Canon s90 or the new SD4000 IS. But now I'm not so sure.

What I have: Konica Minolta DiMage Xg. It's old.

What I am looking for:
-Fast shot to shot. I'm tired of missing shots because I'm waiting for the thing to be ready to take another picture.
-Good with light that isn't so great. Concerts, indoor venues where good light isn't all that available.
-Good image quality (this is a given)
-Image stabilization. One of the BIG issues I have currently is a million blurry pictures (including in daylight) unless I use flash.
-Enough zoom so that I can get things I'm not all that close to. (maybe someone on stage if I'm a few rows back, or down close to the football field from lots of rows up *lol*). I find my current zoom to be not enough, and when I go to its limit, it's very grainy.
-Pocketable. Doesn't have to be the tiny square my current one is, but it needs to fit in my purse/bag when I'm traveling or at an event.
-Pefer something that uses SD cards. I have a million of these floating around the house.
-Something I can just pull out the camera, turn it on, and take the picture. I'd like to say that I would use all of the different settings to get the best picture possible, but I just know that's not true. I change the settings every now and again (like sunset setting, or changing the light setting - tungsten, cloudy, etc), but not terribly often.
-Able to take some video. HD really isn't a deal breaker.
-Doesn't have to have a million MP. Since I'm not blowing anything up -maybe a regular 4x6 max size or just posting online - it really shouldn't matter.
-Need to purchase before end of October.
-Stay around (or under) $300.

Thank you VERY much for your help in suggesting a camera. I feel really overwhelmed at this point!
Hokie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2

Hokie-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Canon S-90 is a small camera, but really a performer as well, with pretty good high ISO capability. It is over your $300 budget.

The Samsung TL-350 is a good high ISO capable camera, and it is 5X optical zoom and priced at under $300.00. The Canon G-11 is another possibility, but it is way above your budget at around $420.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:51 PM   #3

Sarah Joyce, Thanks so much for the input! And thank you for the welcome.

I've been seeing the s-90 around $320, which I have talked the husband into considering an okay cost. The $420 G11 is definitely higher than we would like to go, too large as well I believe.

I'm concerned about the s90 simply because I've read that to really get the peformance out of it, it must come out of "auto" mode. Otherwise it doesn't do so well. I'm also concerned about the possible lack of zoom.

Do you feel that the two above points truly apply or is it less of an issue than it has been made out to be (all over the web).

I will look into the Samsung model this evening.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:05 PM   #4

Hokie-

Yes indeed those two points really do apply in latge measure to the Canon S-90. It is not great in the Automatic Mode and it does not have much zoom. That is why I suggested the Samsung TL-350.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hokie-

Yes indeed those two points really do apply in latge measure to the Canon S-90. It is not great in the Automatic Mode and it does not have much zoom. That is why I suggested the Samsung TL-350.

Sarah Joyce
The Samsung actually looks really good and like a great fit from all my reading. Thank you SO much for the suggestion!

I finally laid hands on an s90 last night and after playing with it, definitely determined that would have been the wrong decision. It's a nice camera, but not for us.

Now if I could just find somewhere in town that actually carries the Samsung to test it out as well to be certain. No one seems to actually stock it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:48 AM   #6

hokie-

Buy the TL-350 from www.amazon.com for $299. The have a bullet-proof 30 day return policy with no re-stocking fees of any kind.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:11 AM   #7

to get the best pics out of almost any camera, it's best not to use auto. using the other settings is easier than you might expect - honestly. learning to use white balance can also be very handy as most cameras sometimes run into issues in auto wb occasionally.

just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie02 View Post
I'm concerned about the s90 simply because I've read that to really get the peformance out of it, it must come out of "auto" mode. Otherwise it doesn't do so well. I'm also concerned about the possible lack of zoom.

Do you feel that the two above points truly apply or is it less of an issue than it has been made out to be (all over the web).
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:14 AM   #8

pcake-

You are 100% correct! Well spoken. Photographers are like concert pianists. They really get better when the practice! When you use the automatic mode, you are only along for the ride, and nothing else. There is no learning taking place.

However, there is one real learning option that is fun. If you have time, take a photo in automatic and then you produce a better one. Take as many as you need, but make it better. Then compare the two photos, side by side, and really analyze why and how you were able to make that photo better.

Sarah Joyce