Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sigma 70-300 APO doesn't focus very quickly, and Olympus' dSLRs don't have very good AF systems for sports/action/wildlife (when compared to dSLRs from other manufacturers.)
Here we go again. How much wildlife do you shoot TCav???? You keep on making the most bizzare blanket statements and do so without even the slightest personal experience. Then you fight tooth and nail to defend the indefenseable.

In this case, there were a couple folks that own BOTH of these cameras. You could have just ASKED "How does the autofocus compare?", but you already know it all, and felt a need to shout from the mountain. I don't know the fine details, because, like you, I own neither of these fine cameras.

Now that I've disclosed that I don't own and have no personal expierience with the K-x or the E620, I will say I've shot with an Oly E500 quite a bit, and the autofocus is quite fine for wildlife. It had what is necessary for wildlife, which is single point accuracy. Unless they totally screwed up in the the three generations since its introduction, your blanket statement is false. You see TCav, I actually do shoot wildlife. Do YOU????

Becaues you made this a blanket statement, I used a couple Olympus cameras in the above. The E500 could have done all of them. I imagne the E620 could too.

If you would like to add your wildlife pics so we know how to weigh your blanket statements, feel free.

Now, since Tcav didn't ask, Sarah, Shoturtle, how to the focus systems compare for shooting things like wildlife? Does the lack of focus points being etched in the K-x's viewfinder hinder precision focus in situations like birds in the brush? I've noticed that the E620 has the ability to tune its each of its focus points. Have you needed to, and if you did, how did it work? How about low light focus? My Oly's struggle a bit there, how about these two cameras.

Maybe, we can get some accurate info from first hand experience!!!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Aug 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:24 AM   #12

Can we agree that the Olympus 70-300 is the Sigma 70-300 APO?

Browse the lens surveys database at PhotoZone.de for the Sigma 70-300 APO. (Pick any mount. The camera doesn't matter.) The Sigma 70-300 APO consistantly rates a Very Slow for AF Speed.

In fact, if you look at the lens surveys database for the Four-Thirds mount, you'll see that, of the 59 responses from owners of Olympus telephoto zoom lenses, the average rating for AF Speed was Slow. So even Olympus owners feel the AF Speed of their systems isn't very good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:27 AM   #13

Quote:
The Sigma 70-300 APO doesn't focus very quickly, and Olympus' dSLRs don't have very good AF systems for sports/action/wildlife (when compared to dSLRs from other manufacturers.)
Here we go again. How much wildlife do you shoot TCav???? You keep on making the most bizzzare blanket statements and do so without even the slightest personal experience. Then you fight tooth and nail to defend the indefenseable.

In this case, there were a couple folks that own BOTH of these cameras. You could have just ASKED "How does the autofocus compare?", but you already know it all and felt a need to shout from the mountain. I don't know the fine details, because, like you, I own neither of these fine cameras.

Now that I've disclosed that I don't own and have no personal expierience with the K-x or the E620, I will say I've shot with an Oly E500 quite a bit, and the autofocus is quite fine for wildlife. It had what is necessary for wilflife, which is single point accuracy. Unless they totally screwed up ithe the three generations since its introduction, your blanket statement is false. You see TCav, I actually do shoot wildlife. Do YOU????

Becaues you made this a blanket statement, I used a couple Olympus cameras in the above. The E500 could have done all of them. I imagne the E620 could too.

If you would like to add your wildlife pics so we know how to weigh your blanket statements, feel free.

Now, since Tcav didn't ask, Sarah, Shoturtle, how to the focus systems compare for shooting things like wildlife? Does the lack of focus points being etched in the K-x's viewfinder hinder precision focus in situations like birds in the brush? I've noticed that the E620 has the ability to tune its each of its focus points. Have you needed to, and if you did, how did it work? How about low light focus? My Oly's struggle a bit there, how about these two cameras.

Maybe, we can get some accurate info from first hand experience!!!

Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:05 AM   #14

Let's try this again.

Quote:
... if you look at the lens surveys database [... at PhotoZone.de ...] for the Four-Thirds mount, you'll see that, of the 59 responses from owners of Olympus telephoto zoom lenses, the average rating for AF Speed was Slow. So even Olympus owners feel the AF Speed of their systems isn't very good.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:41 AM   #15

Thanks for everyone's input. I've ordered the Pentax. I went with the single lens kit and not the 2 lens kit. I figure I can add lenses later as I get more into the SLR way of taking photos So I'll continue reading posts about lenses and learning more as I go.
tggt2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:02 AM   #16

The Pentax is a fine camera. I'm sure you'll like it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:27 PM   #17

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tggt2fan View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I've ordered the Pentax. I went with the single lens kit and not the 2 lens kit. I figure I can add lenses later as I get more into the SLR way of taking photos So I'll continue reading posts about lenses and learning more as I go.
You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper. Now you are ready to descend into the hell of LBA, poring over details of lenses far into the night until you are too exhausted to actually use your gear. Then, money will slip away. Then, you'll discover the joys of cheap old manual primes. Then, you'll participate in online debates over the merits of Fleks vs Domi's or whatever, and whether a private-brand serial number means the lens was made by Tokina or Tamron or Tomioka or whomever. Then, you will attain enlightenment. And then, it will be time to upgrade to the next camera body. You are doomed. Welcome.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:55 PM   #18

Ha ha Rio. Nail meet head.

tggt2fan - you will enjoy that camera, it's had nothing but excellent reviews. Now wind your way over to the Pentax forum where you'll get even more help from us on deciding which lens you should buy next.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Can we agree that the Olympus 70-300 is the Sigma 70-300 APO?.

Question asked of Olympus America early this year:
Did Olympus work with Sigma to produce the 70-300mm and if so is their any other plans to do more of the same?

We can assure you that the optical development and design of Olympus lenses is done by Olympus. Within Olympus' Tatsunu factory we have the ability to generate some rather magnificent optical designs. Precise molding technologies are applied to all high-grade optical glass including ED glass. Lens grinding and polishing technologies such as those used on the 300mm f2.8 can produce an element with virtually no deformation across the entire surface. "Dual sided" aspherical elements can perform the optical task of multiple elements. Olympus designs and develops our lenses to meet the much higher standard demanded of digital photography. This applies to both the Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds Lenses.

As to what I think of the above comment, the first statement is the only one that addresses the question. The design is done, at least in part, by Olympus. There is little question that they use the same optical formula. I have a feeling the QC is Olympus, and that would be a difference worth something.

Quote:

In fact, if you look at the lens surveys database for the Four-Thirds mount, you'll see that, of the 59 responses from owners of Olympus telephoto zoom lenses, the average rating for AF Speed was Slow.
So in your experience shooting wildlife, the speed on one lens hitting focus is the determining factor for not being good at that sort of thing? Once again I get a feeling that you don't do much of that type of photography. I repeat my contention that the most important thing needed in a wildlife setup is accuracy of focus. A front or backfocus problem would be a killer with the narrow DOF of longer lenses. But that's just my experience, but I tend to prefocus at the range I expect the subject to arrive at and quick adjustments are instant.

Quote:
So even Olympus owners feel the AF Speed of their systems isn't very good.
So by your own logic, the below comments .....

Quote:
Browse the lens surveys database at PhotoZone.de for the Sigma 70-300 APO. (Pick any mount. The camera doesn't matter.) The Sigma 70-300 APO consistantly rates a Very Slow for AF Speed..
that would indicate that ALL other camera systems aren't very good either since they also can mount the Sigma. Its fauty logic in the extreme, but I expect nothing more from you.

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:44 PM   #20

One more time ...

Quote:
... if you look at the lens surveys database [... at PhotoZone.de ...] for the Four-Thirds mount, you'll see that, of the 59 responses from owners of Olympus telephoto zoom lenses, the average rating for AF Speed was Slow. So even Olympus owners feel the AF Speed of their systems isn't very good.