Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
One more time ...
Originally Posted by TCav
... if you look at the lens surveys database [... at PhotoZone.de ...] for the Four-Thirds mount, you'll see that, of the 59 responses from owners of Olympus telephoto zoom lenses, the average rating for AF Speed was Slow. So even Olympus owners feel the AF Speed of their systems isn't very good.
And I ask the same question, and share my personal experience.

"So in your experience shooting wildlife, the speed on one lens hitting focus is the determining factor for not being good at that sort of thing? Once again I get a feeling that you don't do much of that type of photography. I repeat my contention that the most important thing needed in a wildlife setup is accuracy of focus. A front or backfocus problem would be a killer with the narrow DOF of longer lenses. But that's just my experience, but I tend to prefocus at the range I expect the subject to arrive at and quick adjustments are instant."

I'll add another question or two... Do you do wildlife photography??? How did the Zuikos do to optical quality in your little survey??? How do your "Lens is the thing" lenses you own do in the speed department???

TCav, your long on wind and short on practical experience. That's why you need to go to websites as your proof. Its why I used photos to illistrate why I think your wrong in your blanket statement.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I'll add another question or two... Do you do wildlife photography???
Here's my main wildlife setup. 1200mm EFL and 2 degree field of view. How 'bout it TCav, what's your "go to" wildlife lens?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:18 AM   #23

Quote:
I repeat my contention that the most important thing needed in a wildlife setup is accuracy of focus. A front or backfocus problem would be a killer with the narrow DOF of longer lenses.
A photo to give substance to what I said. Accuracy of focus trumps speed in wildlife photography. Not much DOF to work with at times.

Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:46 AM   #24

Default Where Olympus struggles...

When it comes to wildlife, Birds In Flight (BIF) are tough duty. It was -14F this day and C-AF was not up to the task. There was a gent shooting a Nikon D3x and I had a chance to play with his setup for a few minutes. The Oly struggled big time, while the D3x locked focus with ease.

I don't think the entry level cameras would fair any better than mine.

Lots of bad frames that weekend. This one was OK.

Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:22 PM   #25

Quote:
... Its why I used photos to illistrate why I think your wrong in your blanket statement.
And the 59 other Olympus users? They're wrong too?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
And the 59 other Olympus users? They're wrong too?
Nope, just you. They made no blanket statements without a clue what they speak of.

Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:49 PM   #27

I have to disagree with the AF being slow. I always go to the US Open every Aug. And seeing what the oly's e-system can do. They are quite impressive. The reason it is slow is the kit lenses. The canon kit lenses on the rebels are slow to AF just as much.

It is the same as canon USM lenses. You get a SWD lens and they are just as fast. Now the non SWD lens are slower, but are very sharp.

PS

If the oly can keep up with Maria Sharapova running from baseline to baseline. And keep her in focus. The AF system is fast enough imho.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:15 PM   #28

When I first started to read Steve's Digicams I , like many others, read most each and every posting relative to "what's the best camera for me". I even responded to the poster's questions and, at times, suggested perhaps they look at an Olympus dslr.
The conversation invariably got around to smaller sensor equalled more noise, lousy detail, etc. Then the subject came up about the lens choices. Here the knock on the Olympus line was limited lens choices even though the kit lenses that came with the Olympus dslr could generally beat the pants off the kit lenses of the competing brands i.e. Canon's 18-55mm lens. Oh and low light, don't get an Olympus if you want to shoot in low light. noise, small sensor all that stuff.
Well, the reality, is that most entry level cameras are really pretty fine these days- AND that includes the Olympus dslrs. And I'll go out on a limb and say that most of the people who buy a dslr will never realize the full potential of the equipment that they purchase.
If you take the time to learn the equipment that you own you can get amazing results Unfortunately, these days, people spend more time nitpicking at pixel peeping, dynamic range results, noise measurements ad nauseum. It's the person behind the camera that's the most important component in developing the results. By the way, the following were all taken with an Olympus camera of one sort or another. yeas, the ones with the small sensor, limited auto focus, poor performance in low light etc. etc.

Also, I invite anyone interested to drop in on the Olympus DSLR forum once in a while. You just might be surprised at what you see.
Oh, and if you're interested, you can look at some of my photos on smugmug.com. The link is down below. You see, I spend more time using my camera than talking about what it can't do.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:20 PM   #29

actually the new olympus sensor that they use in the epl-1 has less noise the the new asp-c sensor that sony developed between 100-1600iso. The range that most photography is shot at. It is above 1600 that the new sony aps-c sensor takes a lead.

Oly has always made a find product imho. Hands down the best jpeg engine on the market.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:45 PM   #30

ooppsss, I forgot, the Olympus is lousy in low light.
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote