Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Pentax KX vs Olympus E-620

I can get a Pentax KX with 18-55mm & 50-200mm lenses or Olympus E-620 with 14-42mm & 40-150mm lenses. This will be my first DSLR and I would value the input of the other forum members.

I would be shooting mostly family pics (indoor and trips to the zoo and parks with the kids) and maybe some wildlife pics from time to time.

Any advice is appreciated.
tggt2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:56 PM   #2

for travel to the 620 has the size and reach edge with the 2x crop factor if you add a 300mm lens, as it will reach out to 600mm eq.

The indoor and low light the pentax has the edge as it shots fine upto 3200iso and with some software 6400iso is useable, while the e620 1600iso is fine, and some editing with software it is good at 3200.

Pentax does shoot hd, but the olympus has the better kit lenses package, and with the pentax with the 50-200mm the oly lens is better then it. But both packages have the same reach of 300mm eq.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:24 PM   #3

Popular Photo has just named the K7 & Kx as camera of the year 2010 I believe.

I don't know the 620 but the Kx has a wonderful reputation.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Frogfish is 100% correct-

I own both the Pentax Kx and the Olympus E-620 cameras. I think that the Pentax Kx offers the greatest utility with it high ISO capability, and an excellent long zoom, such as the Pentax 55-300mm. The Pentax 55-300mm zoom lens is much better, and has a measurably longer "reach" than the Pentax 50-200mm lens which is a lower quality lens with less "reach."

The Olympus E-620 is a good camera, but it has a smaller imager and when compared to the Pentax Kx, it is less of a performer than the Kx.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5

Both are good camera's.

But if I were to go with the k-x I would get the 55-300mm lens over the 50-200mm, it is not as good. The 55-300mm is closer to the oly kit lens in image quality.

If you are not into photo editing, the olympus does have the better out of camera jpegs. There is not much you really need to do to them to have a great photos. As Oly does have the best jpeg engine on the market.

The 2x imager actually gives you an advantage at a zoom, if you get a longer 300mm zoom you get 600mm of reach, while the 300mm on the pentax only gives you 450mm of reach.

If low light is a big need go with the pentax k-x.

So if reach is a concern, price of the added reach is less with the oly. But IQ are very close between the cameras. I would go to the shop and handle both camera and see which you prefer.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:16 AM   #6

The Pentax K-x will do better for you when shooting indoors.

Also, none of the lenses you mentioned will work well for wildlife (unless you're talking about deer in your backyard.) For that, you'll generally need something longer. Pentax' 55-300 would be a better choice for that. Olympus also has a 70-300 that is the Sigma 70-300 APO. It's not very good on cameras with larger image sensors, but the smaller image sensor in the E-620 captures the sweet spot in the center of that lens' image circle, so that might be a better choice for wildlife shooting, but its autofocus system isn't very good for that kind of subject.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7

just to add the e620 was 2009 tipa top entry award recipient. The same award the pentax receive for 2010. So both are really good cameras.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:51 PM   #8

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

For snapshots that won't be greatly enlarged, the E620 is nice and compact. For more critical photography, the Kx is better. BTW, ignore any mention of "crop factor" -- the formatfaktor of a smaller sensor does NOT make a lens longer, it merely sees less of the imaged projected by a lens. An APS-C sensor like the Kx's has half the area of a FF frame. A m4/3 sensor like the Oly's has half the area of APS-C. Larger sensors produce higher quality images, and the Kx has the highest-rated sensor around now.

As mentioned, the Pentax DA55-300 is regarded as noticeably better than the DA50-200. I happen to prefer the DA18-250 (or its Tamron clone) but it is no longer made, or offered in kit packages. When I got my K20D a couple years ago, I skipped the kit lens. I wanted to shoot ultrawide and long and low-light, so I got the DA10-17 fisheye, DA18-250 superzoom, and FA50/1.4 for low light. Many lenses later, those are still what I shoot most. Your preferences may vary, but I find that I can minimally get by with the 10-17 (or faster Zenitar 16/2.8), 18-250, fast 50, and an 85/2 for a bit of reach in dim light. The Kx's high-ISO performance may reduce the need for fast primes. If you don't need a fisheye, a Kx + 18-250 is a great one-lens package.

Last edited by RioRico; Aug 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
but its autofocus system isn't very good for that kind of subject.
Fact or your imagination?

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:30 AM   #10

The Sigma 70-300 APO doesn't focus very quickly, and Olympus' dSLRs don't have very good AF systems for sports/action/wildlife (when compared to dSLRs from other manufacturers.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote