Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Replacement Camera for a Kodak V610

Hello there,

So after 4 years of travel, my trust Kodak v610 has finally died. It's unable to stabilize any images, and I think at this point replacement is the best choice rather than getting it repaired a third time.
I've enjoyed having a Kodak, however I can't really find much that seems like an improvement amongst their current cameras... I've looked at the Z980 and such but am not that impressed. Am I missing something else?

The main things I'm looking for are:
- small size and quick photo-taking (need to be able to pull it out of my pocket and snap a quality photo with ease)
- high MP (v610 had 6.1, but more is probably better...)
- high optical zoom (10x, don't really want less than that)
- high quality video (640 480, know there's much better available)

I've been looking at a host of other choices, but none seem to really blow me away:
Panasonic TZ5K, LX3K, ZS3K - these all seem like solid contenders, lots of solid reviews
Canon SX110, D10 both seem OK, especially the D10 being supposedly indestructible, while the G11 seems a bit pricey for what you get?

Any wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Anderson
themuths is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2

Anderson-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Unfortunately, all of the Panasonic cameras you have listed suffer from poor indoor image quality due to the very small/tiny built-in flash unit used on those cameras. The Canon SX-110 and the D-10 have ample (normal power) built-in flash units, but as they are powered by two AA batteries, they have a longer than normal flash recycle time.

Two camera suggestions that offers the "biggest bang for the buck," would be either the Kodak Z-915 (it also has a slow flash recycle time due to the two AA batteries powering the camera) that costs around $100.00, or the Kodak Z-950 (around $131.00) that is powered by a lithium ion battery. The Z-915 has 10X optical zoom, 10mp, and standard video. The Z-950 has 10X optical zoom, 12mp and can do HD video that allows you to zoom while filming. DPReview in their recent Travel Zoom Review gave the Z-950 a very good review.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3

Sarah,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've just researched the Z-950, but it seems a little weak/flimsy overall. For example, some conclusions from Digital Camera Review: Cons
  • Flimsy battery cover
  • Sluggish start up time
  • Tends to overexpose
I'd love to get such a cheap camera, assuming it really will last, but I paid around $400 for the v610 and felt it was really "solid" across the board. This one does look easy to use, and maybe I'm being too judgmental about its appearance? But sluggish start-time isn't a good sign...
I've enjoyed using lithium ion batteries, and all the other choices you mention use AA batteries, with the apparent deadly slow flash recycle time, so are there other choices out there, even if they cost more?

Last edited by themuths; Aug 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: www link didn't work
themuths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4

Anderson-

We have three teens in the family so I purchases not one but two Kodak Z-950 cameras for family use. Those two cameras get a lot of use and even with impatient teens, nobody has complained about slow camera start-up, nor have we had any structural/material problems with battery covers and the like. The exposure also has been pretty spot-on as well.

So there are two Z-950's that get heavy and constant use, and we have had no problems and very good images.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote