Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Photographing a child with glasses - What camera is best??

I am looking to get a point and shoot camera. My son wears glasses and has autism so he is difficult to capture. From what I have read, the Canon s90, Panasonic Lumix or Casio Exilim would be good choices. Please help me.... Thanks ~
tristanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:28 PM   #2

I don't see how the camera selected makes much (any) difference but I could add a small note. I am near-sighted. So my glasses make my eyes smaller and bring in the sides. If i look straight on for a pic, you see air on each side thru the glass. can look silly. so i have taken to turning my head slightly at flash time. (this may not apply at all to your needs as I have no idea the affect autism has on the eyes).

you might take a look thru some magazines and see which children's poses feel right to you. or review some portrait photography books.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's. Regarding the glasses the camera isn't going to make too much difference as if you are using flash then it's all going to depend on the angle of the glasses to the flash.

If you are thinking shots indoors then any active child is going to be hard unless you have a fast focusing camera, however there are ways around this like prefocusing on the distance you hope they will be away then when they get there you can just shoot.

As for the cameras the S90 is certainly a good performer but before you get too much advice having a better idea of where you want to photograph will help as well as if we are talking pretty close or a long way away etc.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4

You might want to consider a camera that can take an external flash ... to prevent light reflecting directly off of your son's glasses. 'Bounced' flash (e.g. a flash that is aimed and reflected off of a ceiling or wall) is much more natural and will give you better photos anyway than direct flash.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:23 AM   #5

tristanjames-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Frogfish's suggestion of a bounced flash, using an external flash, is a very good one. Bounced flash looks much better in the photo. Just click on the lik that I have attached below so see what bounced flash really looks like:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...66_dbvEJ-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:01 AM   #6

I think you have had some good advice, if I was in your position I would invest in a camera that does take an external flash. I can only look back at the pictures of my own children I took with a Film SLR and they are great memories for us. So something a bit better than a p&s will be a better investment. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:09 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up with the Canon s90 for now. I needed the camera before school started. The guy at Costco said that the SLR cameras will be cheaper closer to Christmas so, I plan on getting a SLR in the future. I can't wait!
tristanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:22 AM   #8

Not a bad choice it should give good results. Best of Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9

tristanjames-

Congratulations on your new Canon S-90 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:21 AM   #10

The S90 will have better low-light capability with its sensor size, and a person might get more shots without a flash as a result, negating the whole glasses concern.

This may be a little 'out there', but if its a big issue a person could get glasses with a special coating to reduce the glare. Like what professional trainers use. I can't say its a total fix, but might be worth exploring at the optometrist’s office.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote