Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:49 PM   #11

mercury-

Because we don't know your wife's exact preferences, that is why I suggested www.amazon.com

Canon DSLR cameras are very good as well as fast focusing, and therefore, are very good for sports photography. But I can't see paying $130 to$200 in a bonus price for for a Canon T-1i or a T-2i. This is a beginning DSLR for your wife. The Pentax Kx is a top rated entry level DSLR camera.

I am working to get you the full kit, not just the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
mercury-

If you can find the Pentax Kx two lens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 55-300mm lens, you have a great combination.

The learning curve on the Kx is very comfortable. The Kx has a great Automatic Mode and a great selection of Scene Modes, that make setting up a photo very easy indeed.

You comment about flash is right on target. Most folks do not like direct flash. An external flash allows you to use "bounce flash" which is much more pleasant and produces much better photos. Click on the link I have posted at the end of this message and that will bring up a bounce flash photo taken of my husband this afternoon (08/16). You can see how much better the lighting is and how the image quality is improved. I have written a Flash Tutorial that I will be happy to post for your wife.

You are on the correct track. We are here to handle any and all of your questions.

Here the link to that "bounce flash" photo. Please just click on the link.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...66_dbvEJ-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
This !

Sarah has given you great advice. The Kx has been named as one of the cameras of the year by Popular Photo and the basic package with 18-55 is only around $500, leaving you $300 - 500 to get a Pentax 55-300 (the DAL version can also be bought as a package with the Kx & 18-55, or the DA version can be bought separately - there are some slight differences but the package version is an excellent lense, optically they are the same).

A cheaper lense would be the Tamron 70-300 which also gives you the added option of very good macro (close up) shooting and isn't that far behind the Pentax 55-300 in terms of quality.

If you want an alternative then the Canon T2i is the one to look at.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:58 PM   #13

Actually there is a pro and con for each system. Pentax is the best bang for the buck. And it is in it's own right a great camera.

But if low light shooting if key, the canon has more less expensive low light lenses vs the pentax. And there are more action lenses for the canon also.

So it really comes down to what she is looking for, take her down to a camera shop pretend that you are thinking about getting a new point and shoot, and joke about checking out the dslr and m4/3 camera. And she what you prefers.

Since this camera is going to be for her, do not go with any preconception, and if you can get some input from her, it will really help out allot in getting the correct camera for her.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 PM   #14

They are all good cameras. But I would not just out right say the k-x is the best option. The T1i is just as capable as the T2i as a photography tool, it is in the video that the T2i takes an advantage. And shooting the t1i vs the K-x the T1i has a lead in the action shooting. Though the K-x is no slouch.

We really need more info before pushing one system. If there is not any pentax support close by, it may not be the best option out there. There is still allot of variable.

The OP needs to gather more info, then we can give the pro's and con's of the info given. Then the OP can make the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
This !

Sarah has given you great advice. The Kx has been named as one of the cameras of the year by Popular Photo and the basic package with 18-55 is only around $500, leaving you $300 - 500 to get a Pentax 55-300 (the DAL version can also be bought as a package with the Kx & 18-55, or the DA version can be bought separately - there are some slight differences but the package version is an excellent lense, optically they are the same).

A cheaper lense would be the Tamron 70-300 which also gives you the added option of very good macro (close up) shooting and isn't that far behind the Pentax 55-300 in terms of quality.

If you want an alternative then the Canon T2i is the one to look at.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:38 PM   #15

Shoturtle,

Thanks for the links with the sample photos. All three cameras seem to take great pictures. The canon was very impressive. You also mentioned about support for the pentax. We live in San Diego, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue?

Sarah Joyce,

The flash tutorial sounds like a great idea. I'm sure she would be interested in it.

It's rather slow gathering information. I'm trying not to be too obvious. We have to do some shopping soon for our daughter's birthday so I may be able to get her into the electronics department then.

I've been doing a lot of reading trying to get better informed, or at least try.

I'm not sure if it's important, but I thought I'd mention that while she can manipulate images in photo-editing software, she typically doesn't have time to do it, so she would want something that requires very little editing to get to a good final photo.

Also, we don't print a lot of our photos and when we do, never larger than an 8x10. She does make slideshows that we watch on our TV (we have a 42 in HD flatscreen).

I've been trying to think about what she would want the most.

I think she'll want something that is easy to use. I am a little worried about the size and the number of accessories needed with these. For the indoor shots at home it wouldn't be a problem, I'm just not sure she's going to want to carry it around when we go somewhere with the kids. But I could be wrong, this is complicated, lol.

Image quality is definitely important to her. I think that since she's never used a DSLR before, it would need to be a camera where she could achieve good image quality as a beginner, if that makes sense.

As for low light. The samples I saw of the night scenes, I don't think she'll be doing that kind of low light setting, at least not often (we did take pictures of the Las Vegas Strip at night, but that was on vacation). She does do indoor shooting with lamps on, windows open. I noticed also that she takes our daughter out on to the porch in the shade more and tries to pose her (I've been looking through her photo album to try and get a better idea).

As for action, that is probably going to be important for her too. Besides the indoor shooting, our son plays sports, usually outdoors.

I know there is going to be compromise. So I think what is going to be most important to her is getting shots of the kids. Looking at what she shoots the most of, she aims for portrait-like shots. She has a lot of pictures of our daughter from the waist up. It could be she was trying something new that day, hard to tell. She was sick over Christmas so in the spring she was taking tons of pictures of her in her Christmas dresses, posed in a chair and close-ups of her playing in the yard.

I don't know if any of this helps or not. I'm looking at the Canon and the Pentax and I'm having a hard time figuring out if one is really better than the other. They both seem to be good cameras and both seem to be popular. (I did see a purple Pentax on amazon, and if she saw that she would be swayed, though that's not really practical.).

I will have to try getting her into a store.
Mercury71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:53 PM   #16

That is good input, Mercury.

If you get her into the Electronics Department, you might try sounding your wife out a bit to determine if she would be more please with a bridge camera like the Panasonic FZ-35, Has 18X optical zoom, does great indoor and outdoor photos and that only costs just $300.00, rather than a full blown DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:04 PM   #17

Because you wife does not have time to edit that much, the Olympus epl-1 has the best jpeg engine out of the camera. Most the of the epl-1 photos have little to no editing. With the canon and pentax, as the dslr's do not process as much, will require a bit more work in editing.

The epl-1 fits nicely into my wife's purse. And all we really ever carry when we take the epl-1 is the panasonic 45-200mm lens, as that fits in the purse as well.

Between the pentax and canon if you factor out the vastly larger lens option of the canon, both cameras are pretty even, so it really comes down to taste and ergo.

But her dissatisfaction with the point and shoots in low light with some moving kids is still one of the reason behind this move. None of the megazooms or bridge cameras out there can really meet this need. As the smaller sensors just are not up to the task in low light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:14 PM   #18

It may be like comparing apples and oranges but is their a significant image quality dfference between the Olympus epl-1 and the Panasonc fz-38, i mean considerng the price differences?

Now this might be a dumb question, but is there a way to buy an external flash for the fz-38 and would that even make a difference in indoor shooting (I like the dea of that bounce flash that was mentioned)? I know it wont be as good as dslr or the olympus but I do know she was happy with our Sony H5. But then again, her main complaint on that camera is the lag time between shots. Is the fz-38 faster in that respect?

Surprizes are a lot of work, lol.
Mercury71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:37 PM   #19

Mercury-

I terms of image quality: DSLR's rank #1, m4/3 cameras like the Olympus EPL-1 and the Panasonic G-10 rank #2, and cameras like the Panasonic FZ-35/38 cameras rank #3. That is why there is the price difference between those groups.

And yes, the FZ-35/38 does not have a hot shoe, but you can easily do bounce flash with an accessory Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:42 AM   #20

Don't know your timing, but the Panasoniz FZ100 will be available soon and it is a fast Bridge Camera with 24X Zoom that is slightly larger than the FZ35/38...it should be a decent performer all around...
Also the Olympus E620 is a decent 4/3 camera that is smaller than the Canon and Pextax and for $629 you can get two lens with it...14-42 and 40-150...which gives you quite some range... but it doesn't shoot video...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote