Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:30 PM   #31

Sarah,

Thanks for the correction on the Canon vs Pentax. There seem to be more Canon lenses, but how do they compare in price? Or where is a good site to do price comparison? I've been kind of looking around, it can be a little difficult when you aren't sure which lenses are needed, etc.. (but I've been refering back to the ones mentioned in this thread).

If she likes one of those cameras over the other options, I'm not really worried about Canon having more lenses over Pentax. I can't see her wanting more than a couple of lenses to fulfill her basic needs.

The draw towards the olympus was the comment on the jpeg quality versus having to do more post work. I did look at the E-600 and the E-620, unless I missed it, they didn't do video? It's not a deal breaker, but I know she'd prefer it. As for the epl-1, she'd have to see for herself on that one. I know she likes a viewfinder. I think if I surprised her with a camera that I had to pay an extra 250 for the viewfinder, she might think I'd lost it. Though I realize that the extra for the viewfinder brings it closer in price to the ep2.

Phew... Well I hope we can find a store that has all these models in stock!! lol
Mercury71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:41 PM   #32

no, the olympus dslr do not shoot video. But dslr for shooting HD is not as easy as with a point and shoot or a EVIL like the olympus epl1, ep2 and ep1 camera. The contrast base system are better suited for video as you are shooting in liveview. DSLR are very poor in Liveview focusing in general. Except for sony, but they do not have a HD video dslr. I can tell you that it is allot easier to work with video with a lighter camera for one, and the AF systems works better. The other nice thing is with the ep2 and epl-1 with the VF2, you can actually video with the viewfinder, while on a dslr. You have to use the lcd. I hated shooting videos with my canon dslr, but I notice I actually use the epl-1 for video, and I leave the dslr and my jvc hd camcorder at home allot more.

There is allot of options out there. It can get very confusing.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:53 PM   #33

shoturtle,

I will definitely agree with you on the confusing part.

We have a sony camcorder that we bought the same year we bought the H-5. It just only got used around Christmas or maybe at a birthday party. If we went anywhere, we left it at home and took the H-5 or the S600.

I see more reading in my future, lol

thanks again for the help!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:01 PM   #34

Shoturtle-

I agree with you. Even though I own the EPL-1, I use my Kx much more. So camera preference does indeed come into play, when you reach for a camera.

From my reading of Mercury's posts, it appears that his wife also likes a viewfinder presentation, rather than attempting to frame a photo on a 2.7 inch LCD screen. I think that we have to pay attention to that clue.

Yes, you can get an accessory VF-2-EVF viewfinder, but that is another $250.00 spent on a dumb EVF when you could have gotten a whole lot more use out of a good Metz external flash unit for the Kx camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:11 PM   #35

It is dumb to some but not for others, but I have not seen another EVF built in or add on that is honestly as good. For me it was well worth the purchase.

But you get it with the ep2. But you do not have a built in flash with that option. But price is about the same if you add it.

Mercury71 has allot more info to gather. There is still a ton of what if's. So far the only thing that is certain is, she is not happy with the low light image quality of a point and shoot, second she would like much better image quality in general.

These two factors just put all point and shoot, bridge, and megazoom options out the window. While some can shoot decent at 1600iso, they are still consider getting by when compare to dslr size sensors of asp-c or 4/3. That is why I suggested 3 different camera. And we added a 3rd point, a vf or evf is a feature that is needed.

one is a great price point camera, with great abilities
one that is a great all around camera with allot more growth ability
one the is compact easy to travel with, and meets the stated needs.

All 3 have vf or evf options.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:13 PM   #36

Mercury-

You were discussing lenses: let me tell you what I use, please on the Kx. I have the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens, a Promaster 80-210mm lens that I purchased used for $49 on E-bay, and it is one of the sharpest lenes of the trio, and the Pentax 55-300mm lens that I purchased used on E-bay for $199. The retail price on the Promaster 80-210mm lens is $230.00, and the retail price on the Pentax 55-300mm is $299.00.

So if you know the equipment and shop around, you can really save some money. here is a selection of photo samples from the Km.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...58_XFjJo-L.jpg

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...27_rM6MA-L.jpg

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...52_UPAih-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:18 PM   #37

the promaster is sharp, but for about the same price the panasonic 45-200mm for the m4/3 camera are just as sharp, and I got my on ebay for just over 200 dollars. And it retails for 290 dollars.

There is allot of options. Here is the epl-1 with the panny lens.
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:08 PM   #38

Sarah and Shoturtle,

I appreciate each of your comments. When we go to the store, I will just have to see which body she seems to prefer as all the suggestions seem to be very close in quality.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:54 PM   #39

If you end up with bridge camera get the Fuji HS10 it has a lot of D-SLR like features, great fast Auto Focus, good ISO all the way too and including 1600manual mode and 30x zoom. I find ISO up to 1600 will still give you great 8x10 prints. I did a 11x 14 and a 16x 20 print o photos at ISO400 with no issues at all. best of all no lenses to carry no change of getting sand, water or such on the sensor etc.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:24 PM   #40

Just note there is point and shoot good at 1600iso, and dslr and m4/3 level of good at 1600iso. There is a different standard between the two.