Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:24 PM   #41

Mercury-

Thanks for your post. We will stand by and await the report on your joint shopping trip.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Just note there is point and shoot good at 1600iso, and dslr and m4/3 level of good at 1600iso. There is a different standard between the two.
Yes there is I was just trying to add an option for the gift......
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:49 PM   #43

Well we ended up at Fry's today. They had all the cameras I wanted her to take a look at in stock, though not all of them had power to look at their menus and such.

I'm still confused. I don't think she's on to me because she asked to go look at the cameras, she typically does. She likes to oogle them.

I learned a few things though, hopefully helpful.

I don't think the viewfinder was as important as I thought. I asked her about it and she said she's adjusted to not using it unless she absolutely has to. She wears glasses and it's hard for her to use the viewfinder with them. If it's super bright out she will use it sometimes.

She really liked the camera's that had the tiltable LCD screens (which unfortuneatly was none of the camera's I had been looking at. I think it was mostly the Sonys).

She did spend some time looking at the Panasonic FZ-38. She told me that she'd read that it was one of the better bridge cameras out there (and it was on sale for $270 in store only). She said she'd also heard about the new panasonic models that just came out and that one of them was suppose to be a bit faster, higher burst or something, but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $200.

The olympus epl-1 was on sale for 449 in store only and it came with a kit lens. She did play with it for awhile. Apparently, she had an olympus film camera as a teenager that she was quite fond of.

They had the pentax k-x in white with 1 kit lens for 617. She liked it, thought I couldn't tell if she liked it more or less than the others. She compared it with the Canon T1i and T2i (they had both). She thought that price-wise, the Pentax seemed the better deal. Otherwise they seemed to handle about the same.

She didn't seem put off by the size of any of them. She said that the Canon and the Pentax didn't feel that much bigger than her Sony. The Pansonic and the Olympus were actually smaller. I got the impression that size wasn't a big factor.

She said the tiltable screen would come in handy though for getting pictures of 3 yr old. She said she likes to have the point of view level with our daughter not looking down at her, but those shots are difficult to take because she has a bad back and can't bend well or squat.

She did have some concerns. She isn't sure if she's advanced enough in her knowledge of cameras to warrant the purchase of a DSLR. She's worried that she'll get this great camera and try using auto and not get very good pictures. But she's also worried that a bridge camera won't give her what she wants. She said her main goal was better portraits of our kids. It's hard for her to get good shots of our daughter. She doesn't like to look at the camera when you take a picture. She looks a way and poses funny. She also loves the blurry background look, whatever that means. Her biggest complaint was shutter lag time.

I hit the post button too soon so tried to finish that last paragraph quickly.

Last edited by Mercury71; Aug 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Hit the button to fast!
Mercury71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:58 PM   #44

That does change things up a little.

How much indoor stuff do she take. Is HD video an option you want.

The olympus e620 is a pretty good camera, has a tilt screen. No HD

With the sony dslr, I would look at the A550, it has a tilt screen also. And has a much better viewfinder then the A380, and a better sensor. But it is more expensive. No HD

Nikon, I would hold off on, as they seem to be planning to launch a whole new set of camera to replace their current ones.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:00 PM   #45

Oh, I should mention some of my own thoughts. She seems reluctant to go the DSLR route. I think she's just not sure if she's good enough to use one. Personally, she second guesses herself a lot. I think she could learn as long as the entry level dslr did have an intuitive interface and did well in auto or scene mode for a beginner.

Also, as for the panasonic. The FZ100, which has the tiltable screen, is retailing at 499. If it were faster than her Sony and took good video (which she also mentioned was important to her), then it might be worth the price. But that's more than the olympus with 1 lens, and only about 100 less than the Pentax with 1 lens. Though I guess the benefit of the panasonic is that it does have that longer zoom, video would be easier, and she wouldn't have to post process (which was another of her concerns, exactly how much post processing would she have to do)

Would it be at all helpful for me to post some samples of some recent pictures that she took?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:02 PM   #46

Video is important. We have a camcorder that she never uses because she always wants stills. So when she does want video, she takes it with the camera. And video is typically short. She would like something of better quality than what our Sony H5 takes.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:04 PM   #47

Oh, as for indoor shooting. She's been trying to take more outdoor shots, like on the porch to avoid the indoor issues. But she still wants something that will be decent for indoor birthday parties, christmas, stuff like that where she can't take it outside.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:05 PM   #48

The olympus epl-1 will out perform the panasonic fz38 and fz100 without a second thought. Especially in low light. But if she is a little bit gun shy to go to a dslr, then the versatility of the epl-1 will come in handy. But I have to say, dslr in general are not that good with liveview. They then to be slow and clunky.

I was just in philly and my wife took these shots with the epl-1 and kit lens, except for the night shot, which was the 20mm 1.7 lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ip-philly.html
Yes it would help to see what she likes to shoot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 27, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:07 PM   #49

Well this tells me the FZ will not be the way to go, as you will need to flash to get a decent indoor shot that she will like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury71 View Post
Oh, as for indoor shooting. She's been trying to take more outdoor shots, like on the porch to avoid the indoor issues. But she still wants something that will be decent for indoor birthday parties, christmas, stuff like that where she can't take it outside.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:09 PM   #50

Those do look nice.

I will find some pictures and then figure out how to upload them.