Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:21 PM   #1

Default My first post....

1st off hi.... my name is Yehuda and I have been pining for a DSLR for some time now. I am on a pretty limited budget and in an effort to keep to that budget and not sacrifice quality, will probably be purchasing a used item.

My subjects are vast: my nearly two-year old daughter, wildlife and a lot of concerts.

I am looking for 3 things in my shots: low-light shot quality, crisp results, and a good kit lens with moderately evident depth of field.

A relative who knows photography like the back of his hand (he knows the back of his hand very well) but doesn't understand the word budget (he recently acquired the 5D Mark II) told methat Nikons have a wonderful sharpness to them, and in researching photos on flickr, I think he's right.

I am looking to spend tops $350-450 and am open to any suggestions. Ideally I'd also like live view, because I wear glasses and sometimes find issues with viewfinders.

I take purty good photos with my Sony DSC-H20 and have used DSLR's so I am pretty handy with them.... look forward to any help you can afford.

Here's a few choice photos I've taken recently:

Thanks,
Yehuda
drtchocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:34 PM   #2

Flickr isn't really a good place to judge sharpness. You'll only see reduced size images there, and the resampling to reduce the size can hide any image softness. In addition, the resampling can obscure other flaws. (See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality )

Since your budget is tight, I recommend you look at factory refurbished instead of used. A used dSLR is a real gamble. There's no way for you to determine the amount of use and abuse a dSLR has had, and dSLRs have a lot of moving parts with a finite service life. A factory refurbished dSLR will have been fully maintained, and all the critical parts replaced. Adorama sells factory refurbished dSLRs from a number of manufacturers. The only difference between one of thsoe and a new one is it that the warranty is with the store instead of the factory, and it's only for 90 days (except for Canon, which is for a full year.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
..........Adorama sells factory refurbished dSLRs from a number of manufacturers. The only difference between one of thsoe and a new one is it that the warranty is with the store instead of the factory, and it's only for 90 days (except for Canon, which is for a full year.)
To add some clarity: Canon refurbished carry a 12-month return-to-Adorama warranty. The warranty covers anything the manufacturer's warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.

All other refurbs come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

I hope this helps.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:54 PM   #4

sharpness is more the lens then the brand. So I would not heed that one camera brand is sharper then another. The more expensive lenses tend to be way sharper. Nikon, Olympus, and Canon all have very sharp lenses, but then tend to be more expensive.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Flickr isn't really a good place to judge sharpness. You'll only see reduced size images there, and the resampling to reduce the size can hide any image softness. In addition, the resampling can obscure other flaws. (See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality )

Since your budget is tight, I recommend you look at factory refurbished instead of used. A used dSLR is a real gamble. There's no way for you to determine the amount of use and abuse a dSLR has had, and dSLRs have a lot of moving parts with a finite service life. A factory refurbished dSLR will have been fully maintained, and all the critical parts replaced. Adorama sells factory refurbished dSLRs from a number of manufacturers. The only difference between one of thsoe and a new one is it that the warranty is with the store instead of the factory, and it's only for 90 days (except for Canon, which is for a full year.)
What site do you recommend for photo sharing? I use Picasa web

Warren
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the swift replies. Have any of you bought a refurb before? Is there a brand that refurbs better than another?

And although this has been asked countless times... what would you recommend in my price range - I am assuming that I'd have to stick with the kit lens, yes?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:30 PM   #7

lens I have form adorama, never had a problem with them. As they carry factory referbs not 3rd party. Well at least their canon referbs.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:50 PM   #8

Can you bargain with Adorama?

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ICADRXSKBRA.html#TechSpecs

This seems like a good choice for a first!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:50 PM   #9

Drtchocky-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

IMO based on your limited budget. I would look at the Sony A-230 from www.walmart.com which is priced at $379.00. The camera gets good reviews and has a good Sony 18-55mm kit. The add on Sony 55-200mm lens can be found on E-Bay regularly at $100.00 or less.

You have a very good photographic eye and this will be a way to get you started with a good DSLR that is within your budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:04 PM   #10

adorama also sells on ebay.

But if you get a canon, your relative with the 5dmkii might let you try out some of his lenses, but I am pretty sure that it will mostly be L lenses, top dollar ones.