Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:23 PM   #11

Just on more thing to add, if you are planning to shoot in burst mode, you will most likely only get about 7 shots in RAW with the fastest class 10 sdhc card. With a 50D you can get a 600x cf card, and that will let you shoot a longer burst. Not sure if the 40D supports udma cf cards.

Even with the best programs out you can not make up for shooting at 6400iso shooting at 1600 or 3200.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:22 PM   #12

How about the Pentax 200mm f2.8? Same reach but much faster; or the weather resistant 50-200mm f4.0-5.6 (better range); or 105mm f2.4 (about the size of a 50mm); or the Sigma APO 120-400mm?

I'm not saying that the Canon lenses are not good but you certainly have options for your K-x.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:27 PM   #13

The op seems to have investigated the pentax option, and could not find something that fits his needs. the 50-200 is not as good as the canon 70-200mm f4 or the 2.8.

Thou some of the sigma HSM lenses would be good options like the 50-150mm HSM, and the sigma 70-200 HSM. But they are not quite as sharp as the L lens option with the zoom lenses.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:32 PM   #14

I'm sure he has.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The op seems to have investigated the pentax option, and could not find something that fits his needs. the 50-200 is not as good as the canon 70-200mm f4 or the 2.8.

Thou some of the sigma HSM lenses would be good options like the 50-150mm HSM, and the sigma 70-200 HSM. But they are not quite as sharp as the L lens option with the zoom lenses.
Right on
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:59 AM   #16

Nah , i've changed my mind , i'm going to stick to my Pentax k-x , it's way too good to change even though the lens offering is somewhat restricted.
There are some things i just cannot give up about this body , fantastic ISO6400 results which often compensates for not too bright lenses , movie mode is really cool too , AF before filming, very good quality , 25mins filming capability, great small handy and very solid made body , AA batteries ( go for more then 1000 shots per charge ) Pentax unique SV ISO selection mode.

JUst look at this picture taken under a bridge with almost no light available, taken at ISO6400 , no post treatment at all , try to beat that , maybe just maybe a Nikon D90 could do it , according to DXOmark , k-x is the second best APS-c body ever made for rendering and high ISO

EDIT BY MOD: Photo removed due to size and link included below.

http://philippeluyckx.zenfolio.com/i...p412826183.jpg

Last edited by Mark1616; Aug 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM. Reason: Full size photo included rather than 1024 pixels
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:39 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post
Nah , i've changed my mind , i'm going to stick to my Pentax k-x , it's way too good to change even though the lens offering is somewhat restricted.
There are some things i just cannot give up about this body , fantastic ISO6400 results which often compensates for not too bright lenses , movie mode is really cool too , AF before filming, very good quality , 25mins filming capability, great small handy and very solid made body , AA batteries ( go for more then 1000 shots per charge ) Pentax unique SV ISO selection mode.

JUst look at this picture taken under a bridge with almost no light available, taken at ISO6400 , no post treatment at all , try to beat that , maybe just maybe a Nikon D90 could do it , according to DXOmark , k-x is the second best APS-c body ever made for rendering and high ISO

I removed the photo due to the size of it.

I wouldn't say that shot was almost no light as you were down to f7.1 and 1/50s so many cameras could have taken that shot

Not wanting to detract from how well the Kx does, just like things to be accurate.

I think you have probably done the right thing as if you are not happy with a cameras performance you will not use it, and that's the whole point. Yes, the Canon would be better for the sports, but if you are not taking it out to play at other times, or just don't like the results then you won't be enjoying your photography.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:18 PM   #18

If you want some close to the canon lens performance, I would look at the sigma 50-150mm 2.8 HSM. The is the lens my brother rented to shoot some really fast action with his k-x. And it actually does a very good job. You really need to pixel peep to see the difference in sharpness between the ef 70-200mm and the sigma 50-150. It is a lens that do not get much press, but I think it is a bit sharper then it's big brother the sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM. The big thing with the 50-150 is it is allot lighter then the 70-200. And it can take a 2x tc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post