Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:54 AM   #1

Default 550d or 40d ???

I'm thinking of buying a Canon body , i mainly shoot portraits but i'd like something cool for shooting motorbikes on circuit.

First idea was the new 550d but i'm thinking of maybe buying a 40d almost new , i'll have better continuous speed (6.5 f/s ) and the money saved could help me get a better lens , something like a 70-200mm f/4 IS

I'm just having doubts about the high ISO capabilities between these 2 bodies , the 550d will give me much more room to play with , i can see that with the Pentax k-x that i own now , unbelievable what ISO6400 possililities can give you.
I'm changing from Pentax to Canon because i'm fed up with the shortage of lens choice and the lack of very fast AF possibilities , for the rest i love my pentax k-x.
Canon have lenses that i love : 135mm f/2 - 70-200mm f/4 IS

Anyway i suppose that with the effective PT programs around now i could make up for the lacks of high ISO of the 40d compared to the 550d

I love the Nikon D90 body , ergonomics are great but they don't have the same great range lenses that Canon do , perfection would be a Nikon body with Canon lenses and i do consider the lens as the more important factor

Last edited by guillermovilas; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:59 AM.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:14 AM   #2

I have the 550d just love it but I can see why you want a 40d to. There are rumours that a 50d replacement is due very soon soyou may geta 50d a good price. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I have the 550d just love it but I can see why you want a 40d to. There are rumours that a 50d replacement is due very soon soyou may geta 50d a good price. Good luck
No not the 50d , i had it when it came out , sold it 2 weeks later , didn't like it .
550d is way way better at high ISO then the 50d
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

If you didn't like the 50D then getting the 40D isn't really going to help. Yes, per pixel the noise is a little more controlled so if you look at a 100% crop from the 40D and 50D the 40D looks slightly cleaner, however in real world use they are basically the same (if you re-sampled down to the same res) so the 40D is a lose lose situation as you don't have the higher ISO options and noise is overall the same as you didn't like on the 50D.

If you are not careful you are going to be throwing a lot of money away as you've changed systems once, and doing it again might put you in the same position, if so that would be 3 camera changes making quite a loss.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
If you didn't like the 50D then getting the 40D isn't really going to help. Yes, per pixel the noise is a little more controlled so if you look at a 100% crop from the 40D and 50D the 40D looks slightly cleaner, however in real world use they are basically the same (if you re-sampled down to the same res) so the 40D is a lose lose situation as you don't have the higher ISO options and noise is overall the same as you didn't like on the 50D.

If you are not careful you are going to be throwing a lot of money away as you've changed systems once, and doing it again might put you in the same position, if so that would be 3 camera changes making quite a loss.
Well , i've had both 450d and 1000d which both gave better results at ISO1600then the 50d did.
I've never seen a camera giving such bad results when viewing in original size on the computer.

Now according to what DXO say ( i can confirm that what they say is really what i got as a result in real ) the 550d shold be quite better ?
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...(brand3)/Canon

Last edited by guillermovilas; Aug 17, 2010 at 6:47 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:50 AM   #6

All I can say is the 550d might be the camera for you I really like this camera.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Yes, the results shooting RAW are better from the 550D but then you are losing out in the performance/handling area. Also, if you found the results worse than the 450D and 1000D (remembering you still need to take into consideration the resolution differences, 100% is a smaller area on the 50D so expect some processing) then probably you had a bad 50D or something else was up.

For sports I would go 50D, 7D etc not the 550D or 500D but that's just me, it depends how important this aspect is. Those extra fps can really help, although as I've only got two cameras with me at the moment it has meant that I've used my 5DmkII as 2nd body for some sports and although slow I've survived just more likely to miss a shot than with my 7D or 1DmkIII.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:14 AM   #8

The 40D is a superior camera IMO. However, it's much more expensive and a lot bigger/bulkier/heavier than the 550.

Just out of curiosity, what lenses are you looking for that can't be found in a Pentax mount (either Pentax or 3rd party)? Pentax may not have as many lenses as Canon and Nikon but unless you are looking for something very very specific, I think you should be able to find exactly what you need (or very close to). The beauty of Pentax is the fact that ALL K mount lenses will fit the Pentax body w/o the need for an adapter and when you shoot with old manual lenses, the Pentax body will tell you when you reach focus. So in a way, it is like having old MF lenses work as AF lenses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The 40D is a superior camera IMO. However, it's much more expensive and a lot bigger/bulkier/heavier than the 550.

Just out of curiosity, what lenses are you looking for that can't be found in a Pentax mount (either Pentax or 3rd party)? Pentax may not have as many lenses as Canon and Nikon but unless you are looking for something very very specific, I think you should be able to find exactly what you need (or very close to). The beauty of Pentax is the fact that ALL K mount lenses will fit the Pentax body w/o the need for an adapter and when you shoot with old manual lenses, the Pentax body will tell you when you reach focus. So in a way, it is like having old MF lenses work as AF lenses.
Well Canon have wonderfull lenses like the 70-200mm f/4 IS (light and still 200mm reach)
24-105mm f/4 L , great range
100-400mm , heavy but still very good lens
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:10 PM   #10

If that is what you want to shoot, the canon is the better option. They do lead in the Lenses, and all the L lenses you listed are excellent.