Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:03 PM   #11

Thanks for that excellent list, mtclimber (Sarah). Indeed, there is a difference in image quality. I can definitely tell that, for example, the LX3 produces noticeably sharper images than the SD4000.

And to Zoo, thank you for your insights as well. Zoom is not that important to me for this camera (my SD4000 has 4x zoom or so, and I have a HD video camera with 15x zoom). When it comes to storing more video with the same amount of storage space, I probably won't be shooting that much video (in that case, I would bring my HD video camera), so I don't see it as a big problem. I'll check how big those video files are, though, just in case.

The LX3 probably does not support SDXC memory cards (as those were announced in 2009, right?), but my biggest SD card is 32 GB anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The LX5 is rather expensive, as I can get a barely used LX3 for nearly half the price!

It looks like all arrows are currently pointing to the LX3... It certainly seems to be a decent camera!
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:29 PM   #12

Well Zoo-

You see until late Fall 2009, that we saw HD video become more of a priority factor than ever before in the era of standard video. Cameras are still sorted out by still image quality, as that is their major mission: taking still photos.

Even today, video is still viewed by a large number of camera users, as a bonus or an add-on feature in a camera, so it is surely understandable if different camera users assemble their lists somewhat differently.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Zoo

Sarah, different people have different priorities. Camvard (in his original post) listed "HD video" just after IQ. He did say that IQ is the priority, which is why I suggested that for him the LX3 would be the ideal choice. (unless he is willing to either spend more or get a bigger camera)
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:20 PM   #14

Does anyone know how the manual controls on the LX3 work?

Can I set each option (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.) to manual mode individually at the same time, and then restore any of them separately to automatic mode (so that, for example, I have A, S and I on manual, and then I turn A to automatic so that S and I remain on manual control)?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:43 PM   #15

Here's the link to the manual...enjoy...
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX3.PDF
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:56 PM   #16

Thanks for the link to the manual. After reading it a bit, it seems that it is not possible to do what I asked about. You can either set aperture or shutter speed manually, but not both at the same time, for example.

However, it does have the custom sets where one can store settings. But I wasn't able to tell whether all settings can be set to automatic in that mode, and only selectively change specific settings manually.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:37 PM   #17

my read of the manual was that in the manual mode you can set both aperture and shutter speed, but that it is not saved.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:48 PM   #18

The Canon S95 was announced today. I'm surprised that there are no threads about it yet! It has relatively minor additions overall, but they all seem to bring the S9x up to speed, for example with HD video.

If one was to rank the image quality of the Canon S90 compared to the Panasonic LX3, which one would come out on top?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:14 PM   #19

camvard-

My vote goes to the S-90 for tops in image quality. The S-90 has a new imager and later technology than the KX-3.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:25 PM   #20

Thanks, Sarah. That's very interesting! And the S90 is more "pocketable" too. I'm looking forward to detailed reviews of the S95. Maybe they have even managed to improve the IQ slightly?