Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:31 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm S1800--So confused!!

I am befundled which camera to go for. I have looked Fujifilm S1800 and I am just impressed with its on-paper features.
I am NOT a photographer or have done extensive photography in the past. But this time, I am venturing into this as thing has started inspiring me a lot. So I want a camera with which I can experiment like zooming, changing the focal and some other things while maintaining a good image quality.

As this is my start of photography, so I can NOT spend much. Moreover, I am a student and I do not not have that much budget either.
I have seen another Canon SX120 IS..Its image quality seems to be better than Fujifilm S1800 but it's features are less and I like more the DSLR-like S1800...

So do you people recommend..I need to go to buy within next 2-3 days....Urgently waiting for all of your comments....(I am NOT a video man and I am more interested in taking single shots)....
dogarsahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:27 AM   #2

I am not the person to comment on P&S cameras however I think you need to give us more details on your intended use : people, landscapes, sport, low-light, tourism ... just some ideas.

Also maybe you could consider a used camera from KEH, Adorama or B&H (all highly respected dealers so you know your camera will be in very good condition) or even Amazon - you could pick up an excellent camera (much better than you could afford new) to get you started. If you give us your budget that would also help !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:48 AM   #3

^I will be concentrating more on people and landscapes. So I will be needing camera basically for that.

My budget is rather very less like 120 pounds I am getting a very good conditioned Fuji S1800 or Canon SX 120 IS within this budget on Ebay...

If you have further suggestions then do tell me. At the moment, I have ONLY these 2...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:30 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

In as much as you are quoting prices in pounds, may we assume that you are in the the UK? Where a person lives has a rather measurable bearing on our recommendations. Most respondents to this Forum who have gone on to purchase the Fuji S-1800, have not been pleased with the camera's performance, or its image quality.

My first budget suggestion would be the Kodak Z-915. The Z915 has full Automatic and Manual controls, 10 X optical zoom, and standard video. Surprisingly it also has som high ISO capability allowing it to shoot in low light photo environments up to an ISO 1600 setting. As it appears that you are purchasing on E-Bay-UK, our second suggestion would be the Canon SX-100 or SX-110, which have essentially the same features as the SX-120 at a smaller price. So that adds 3 more cameras to your selection mix.

Keep in mind that (at least here in the USA, the Kodak Z-915 sells for around $100 or 59 pounds sterling) purchasing it new would give you a full 1 year guarantee, which would not be available on the other selections.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:11 AM   #5

^plaudits for the detailed response--This is the reason I have joined my very first forum and that is steves-digicams..

Yes--I made a thread just due to apprehensions I had as there are numerous bad reviews floating around on internet regarding S1800..I have looked on Flickr and image quality is reasonably NOT up to the mark..(Obviously 18X Zoom does NOT come that cheap as S1800)...

I confirm regarding the prices of your suggested cameras and get back over here...

Thanks again Sarah!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6

So actually Sarah, I have checked all your 3 recommendations are under my budget..

So which to go for...

But again, I need at least more than average image quality..So what to go for..??
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7

Certainly, firstly we will have to get your expanded definition of "...I need at least more than average image quality..."

Within your budget range, my #1 choice, the Kodak Z-915 offers the best image quality, the best high ISO capability, and a very easy learning curve. In addition, as previously mentioned, you will also get a full 1 year guarantee.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:39 PM   #8

^Actually I mean that I will be needing it more to use on weddings usually at night. The photographs must be crisp and clear(obviously, I do NOT expect the very best but good enough photographs)...

So far the ease of use is concerned, I am pretty tech savvy, so I will have no problem in experimentation with various settings...

So Z915 is the final go..???
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:58 PM   #9

Yes, the Z-915 is the final go as long as your budget is below $(US)200 or 59 pounds sterling.

If the budget is higher, more options are available to you, and I am thinking of a budget of 118 pounds sterling or more.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:48 AM   #10

^you can tell me some camera within 118 pounds as well...Well this is maximum I can go obviously and waiting for the reply.

regards