Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Default looking for a camera at costco

hi, I have just introduced myself, and this is my question

I am a mom (I say this because I mostly take pictures of my 4yo fast moving son)

I used to have a casio ex s-770 before it broke. I didn't love the quality of the pictures, the colors seemed quite unnatural, but the pictures were almost never blurred, always well focused (of my son). I could always capture the moment. And the dedicated video button was nice too. This is to tell you what I am used to.

I recently bought the Samsung hz30w at Costco (which is where I am most likely going to shop again, so the choice is limited to what they carry), and I am not pleased. The few pictures that didn't come out out of focus are nice, but none of my son's... I don't know what is the right term for it (is it the shutter speed?) but I could never capture the picture I wanted (slightly better outside, but still not what I am looking for). I tried all the different settings etc, but it's not working for me.
So, I am going to return this camera, and get a different one.

I wish I knew how to take pictures, but I don't. I wish I knew how to use (and have the money to buy) a dslr, but I don't. Also, it would be totally impractical for me to carry around. Maybe in the future.

For now, I mostly need a camera that takes decent pictures for me.
Since I paid the samsung full price at costco (269 plus taxes) anything below that is a deal!

So, what would you suggest that is fast enough and decent enough to mostly take pictures of kids and some nice landscapes?
I am listing the cameras with bigger optical zoom because I like that.

So:
between the casio exilim h10 (at 169) and the panasonic fh20 (now on sale at 159) both with case and a 2G card included

A question about the exilim: can anyone tell me if there are big differences between the h10 and the s770 I used to own? just to have an idea, if it has the same things I liked that I mentioned before, and if the image quality is as bad or better.

other options are:
panasonic zs6 (but from what I've been reading, at this point I'd look for a deal on the zs7 instead);

nikon s8000, but it didn't really appeal to me? I've been reading it's not easy to handle, especially with one hand while dealing with the kids and whatnot with the other? but it may be what I am looking for otherwise?

ok I will have to get back to this later.
there are other options online, but I'd rather buy in the store.

I like the high end superzooms, but is it what I need or not? I mean, are they worth if I don't know how to use them?

thanks for now, be back later.
fetta
fetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:45 PM   #2

fetta-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The nearest Costco store, at least for me, is over 250 miles from where I live. So I am not in Costco very often. Therefore I will need some time to take a look at the Costco website before I can properly address you question.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:42 PM   #3

fetta-

I went to the www.costco.com website and they showed no Casio P+S cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:59 PM   #4

they have different items in the store than they have online, this is the link to what they have in the warehouse
http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-War...and-Shoot.aspx

prices are not listed, I wrote some down when I went to the store.

I have 90 days (well, minus a couple of weeks now) to return the samsung, so I am in no hurry to replace the camera.
I wish I could make the samsung hz30w do what I want, but I can't. it never catches my son when I want.
I guess I am just wondering if I'd be happy with the casio h10.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:13 PM   #5

Does this describe your problem?
You're at home or in a play-yard and your son does something worth capturing. You get your camera out of your purse, turn it on and press the shutter button as soon as you can. a heart-stopping 2 seconds later the flash goes. but, its-too-late.

Is that it?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Does this describe your problem?
You're at home or in a play-yard and your son does something worth capturing. You get your camera out of your purse, turn it on and press the shutter button as soon as you can. a heart-stopping 2 seconds later the flash goes. but, its-too-late.

Is that it?
heh that seems a bit unrealistic anyway. nah... it's more like this: my son is in the yard or the playground, or at the beach, or the park, whatever. I have the camera in my hands, and I want to shoot a picture of him on the slide, or in the water, or on the bicycle. all I am hoping is to get a nice picture where he's not blurred from moving on the bicycle, or going down the slide.
more like, I point the camera at him, I say smile, and take the picture before he turned the other way. this is not happening with the samsung. not in auto mode, not in children mode, not in any other setting (outside is better, but not quite as fast as my old and broken casio ex s770)

the bottom line is that I wish there was a nice camera that did this, and more, that I could grow with.
but if what I have to pay for learning is to get blurred pictures of my son for the next 6 months, it's not worth it. those memories will be gone.
I don't print much, that's not an issue
(sorry that's from my son)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:34 PM   #7

nothing wrong with costco, I have brought camera from them.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
nothing wrong with costco, I have brought camera from them.
yeah I know, I mentioned it because my first choice would be something they carry, unless I decided in the end that something they don't carry is better for what I need
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:57 PM   #9

fetta-

The problem is the Casio H-10 is not a very good choice.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-33682130.html

The Canon S-3000 would be a more reliable choice.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM.