Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Need Help in Choosing a good camera?

Hello,

I am looking for a good point and shoot camera with a pretty good zoom and good image quality. I would also like the time between shots to be quick. I have two young kids with another on the way soon so I want to be able to take good quality pictures quickly if I have to for kids since they don't stay in one place too often. I would like to have a decent zoom but it is tough to find all of these options for good price.

I am narrowing in on the Panasonic ZS5, Sony H55 but i just don't know. Not all have good reviews from what I have seen. I have seen the panasonic ZR3 getting good reviews somewhat and same with the Sony W350. ZR3 seems to be the same price as the ZS5 but does not have the options the ZS5 with the exception of the different HD video. Who knows if I need that or not. I like the option of being able to use my camera for HD video if it is there but not a necessity.

Maybe there is something else you can recommend. I have had Canon and Olympus cameras before and my sister has gone with sonys so I know those cameras. I don't know panasonic as a camera maker so I worried to go with them. I seem to be looking at the same reviews over and over.

Any recommendations on the ones I have given or any others would be good. Please help. Looking to figure something out soon.

Thanks
bb87bb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:39 PM   #2

bb & bb-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Because when I was raising children, a lot of the photos seemed to be taken at indoors, at birthday parties, Christmas, and the like, a built-in flash unit on any camera considered is absolutely essential.

The Panasonic ZS and ZR series of cameras have been documented to have very weak built-in flash units that are very prone to dark and blurry flash photos. Therefore, I would consider Panasonic ZS & ZR series cameras, lastly.

It would be very helpful indeed to know if you live in the USA, what budget you have allocated for this proposed camera purchase, and if HD video is a priority item in this consideration.

Based on the cameras discussed thus far, it would seem that your budget is somewhere between $(US)250.00 and $(US)300.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:36 PM   #3

Hello,

Thanks for a response.

I live in the US and am looking to be in a budget of $200-$300 for the camera. I am sure you are wondering if I have the budget for a SLR style camera. It seems very nice but might be too much camera for me and would cost a lot of money as well.

HD video is not a huge deal. My preferences are really to have a short amount of time between shots so I don't miss anything with my kids and also get good image quality. The more optical zoom and HD video are nice added extras that would be nice to have as well but not a requirement.

Let me know what you think.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Any ideas? I appreciate any response.

Thanks again
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5

bb & bb-

You might take a look at the Kodak Z-915 or the Z-950 cameras. They are a contradiction within the Kodak line, as they (particularly the Z-915) have fast shot to shot times and 10X of optical zoom. The Z-915 is 10mp and shoots standard video. The Z-950 is 12mp and shoots HD video, allowing zooming while filming.

The next camera to look at would be the Casio FH-100. It is 10mp and has a 10X optical zoom with a nice 24mm wide angle at the wide end. You can zoom while shooting HD video, but there is a 10minute restriction on shooting video.

The final camera to check out would be the Samsung TL-350. Again, 10mp with 5X optical zoom but it is high ISO capable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote