Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Default P & S all around help.

Hi

Have be reading some reviews, and have some questions. My wife has a Canon 720 and my son has a Fuji s5700. I have a Chion CS film camera.

I take pictures of my knives for web site, also fishing trips, golf match's of my son, other family shots. i know I can't get a all in one. Later i would like a DSLR.

I'm looking for a pocket camera that will take quick shots, maybe some action, would like to capture a golf swing, marco, Maybe video have never used it before.

I have looked at a Canon SD1400, like the size.
Sony w330, was told it takes great pictures.

I want to used the SD card, and spend about $350 max.

Thanks
Rick
RDF-KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:58 PM   #2

Rick-

By using shutter preference, just about any camera should do the job.

Here are a couple of questions that might narrow things down a bit.

(1) Is camera size a factor? If so what size?

(2) Are you trying to do this using the Automatic Mode?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Best thing is to get the camera sorted then we can talk about the right settings for your desired shots, but as a basic rule, to freeze action/get the highest shutter speed you use aperture priority, to artificially slow down the shutter for motion blur in a moving car/bike etc you use shutter priority. If you are able then the best is manual as you take the control of the camera which is trying to guess part of what you want to do.......

I would answer the questions Sarah posed as that will certainly get you moving in the right direction with getting advice on choosing a camera.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:57 PM   #4

Sarah

(1) I would like to be able to carry in my pocket. I would use it more that way. The two sizes i looked at was the Canon SD1400 and Sony W330.
(2) Yes, I have been using automatic mode.

Rick
RDF-KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:13 PM   #5

Rick-

Using the Automatic Mode on your camera will probably not give you the sufficiently fast shutter speed you need for a golf swing etc. photos. The only way on the Fuji S-5700, would be to use the "S" or Shutter Preference mode where a specific shutter speed is selected. The same would be true for the Canon A-720. So the photos that you desire to take would be possible with the cameras available to you, providing the "S" or shutter Preference mode was used correctly.

Unfortunately, neither the Sony W-330, nor the Canon SD-1400 have either a Sports Scene Mode or "S" or Shutter Preference mode, so the would not be able to handle the sports shots.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:55 PM   #6

If you want to STOP the golf swing, you'll need a camera with some manual controls. If you're looking for this...anything will do. I personally like this.
Attached Images

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Aug 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote