Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:27 AM   #1

Default Help a picky photographer?

The time has come to upgrade my current camera. However, I'm having a tough time finding anything fitting my criteria!
Am I being too picky, or just not looking in the right place?

So here's my challenge for you.

Price Range (USD)

$100-$350, possibly up to $400.

Wanting...

Rechargeable battery
6x Zoom or higher (Interested in macro capabilities)
8MP or higher

High shutter speed and auto focus would also be wonderful, but they aren't crucial. If I can snap a picture without it being blurry I'm happy.

Avoiding...
AA's or other alkaline batteries (That includes rechargeable alkalines!)
Interchangeable lenses (Unless a Canon)
Bulkiness

Purpose

An "everyday" camera. This camera's primary use will be action shots (sports), candid portraits, and documentation of art projects (indoors).
This means it should preferably be something that won't take up much room in my bag, but can handle being hauled around on a daily basis.

So far, the Kodak EasyShare Z950 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 (suggested by LTZ470) have caught my eye.

Last edited by Karakaten; Aug 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Karakaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakaten View Post
The time has come to upgrade my current camera. However, I'm having a tough time finding anything fitting my criteria!
Am I being too picky, or just not looking in the right place?

So here's my challenge for you.

Price Range (USD)

$100-$350, possibly up to $400.

Wanting...

Rechargeable battery
6x Zoom or higher (Interested in macro capabilities)
8MP or higher

High shutter speed and auto focus would also be wonderful, but they aren't crucial. If I can snap a picture without it being blurry I'm happy.

Avoiding...
AA's or other alkaline batteries (That includes rechargeable alkalines!)
Interchangeable lenses (Unless a Canon)
Bulkiness

Purpose

An "everyday" camera. This camera's primary use will be action shots (sports), candid portraits, and documentation of art projects (indoors).
This means it should preferably be something that won't take up much room in my bag, but can handle being hauled around on a daily basis.

So far, only the Kodak EasyShare Z950 has caught my eye.
i own z950 and highly recommend it! it's only $125 on amazon(sold by adorama camera) if you gonna buy it buy it from big value inc same price $125 but comes with big accessory bundle
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShar.../ref=de_a_smtd
  • Kodak EasyShare Z950 12MP Digital Camera (Black) Brand New USA w/Manufacturer's Supplied Accessories
  • Extra Rechargeable KLIC-7003 Lithium Ion Battery + External Rapid Travel Quick-Charger
  • 4GB SDHC Memory Card (Store More Memories!) + USB Card Reader
  • Padded Carrying Case w/Strap + Flexible Mini Table Top Tripod
  • Pack of LCD Screen Protectors + Lens/LCD Cleaning Kit
Buy it you wont be disappointed.

i got mine 3 weeks ago for $120 with shipping without the bundle. This bundle rocks you get extra battery with charger i believe you can even use it in you car.

here r some photos they r edited but you will see how cool this camera is!
http://picasaweb.google.com/10088110...eat=directlink
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:20 AM   #3

1) What kind of sports? Indoor/Outdoor?
2) What is the lighting available for the Indoor Art Projects?

P&S just aren't designed for Sports Action or Indoors without additional lighting and the you really require a View Finder for Sports Action...the other thing that limits the P&S is the toggle zoom for Sports Action...thats why DSLR's are designed to shoot Sports...
Not saying it can't be done...but it will be very challenging...the only indoor action shots I got are with the FZ35 at Seaworld in San Antonio...it was fun and challenging at the same time!
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-seaworld.html
If any of these Dino's would have been moving they would have blurred due to the slow shutter and the ZS7's Flash is not big enough or strong enough to light the subjects:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...no-museum.html
The S90 did very well in this museum, but again if anything had moved or was moving during the photo it would have been blurred and again the flash is too weak for more than 7-8ft:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-photos.html

The Canon G11 (A G12 was announced just recently) is probably your best bet for the indoor shots but the with only 5X Zoom...

I would look at the FZ35 as it can handle it, but no where near close to a DSLR...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:37 AM   #4

As mentioned, you really need to keep expectations very low for sports shooting with any digicam -sports shooting is one of the toughest things for a camera to do. But if you are outdoors in very good light you can always capture some snapshots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:06 AM   #5

idenny
Thanks! I'll admit the package deal was also part of what attracted me to the Z950. Your photos look great, and really helped me to get an idea of the camera's capabilities.

LTZ470

1. For the mostpart, it would be outdoor sports (peewee football and baseball games). It's rare I attend any indoor sports other than hockey, and at those games I'm too busy cheering to take photos.

2. Well, it won't be a museum setup, if that's what you were wondering. Fixed overhead lighting will be the main source, and I could probably borrow some adjustable lamps. Some of the rooms have windows, but even at that the blinds are often closed.
I hope that was helpful? I was unsure how to approach this question. I'll be taking the pictures in my college classes (drawing, design, etc) and the lighting in each room varies. That and I'm not very savvy on what kind of lights they use (tungsten vs fluorescent).

I've always used a P&S for my sports shots, and (so far) I've not had any issues getting good pics. It might be only one out of a dozen that come out crisp, but I know better than to expect perfection from automatic settings. And besides, that's what makes those few good shots so rewarding!
I do agree though, DSLR's are the kings when it comes to sports photography.

The FZ35 is just fabulous. The camera really packs a punch for a P&S, and is a serious contender as I continue my search.
Also, beautiful photos! I really enjoyed looking through the Seaworld pics.

JohnG

As I said above, I've not had much of a problem with sports shots. But yes, I do realize that sport photography isn't really what I should aim for with this kind of camera. For kids sports it'll do, but I shouldn't expect professional grade or anything.

A big thanks to everyone so far! Loving all the feedback and helpful comments!
Karakaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:27 AM   #6

Thanks Kara...we live just south of you in North Texas...very hard to beat thye price and performance of an FZ35 and they have announced the newer FZ40, but it has not made it to the shelves yet...the FZ35 should drop in price also...I have purchased 3 used FZ35's and all of them have been Like New condition when received from Amazon Warehouse Deals....

Another fun thing with the FZ35 is the Teleconversion lens that are available for it...LT-55 or TCON17 and the LC-55...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote