Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:00 PM   #1

Default Canon SD4500 or SD4000

I was just about to buy an SD4000 when Canon announced the SD4500. Seems to be an upgraded (in a good way) SD4000. I was especially intrigued with the 10X zoom. But doing research at usa.canon.com I saw a significant decrease in battery expectancy:
SD4000 250 shots - 7 hour playback
SD4500 150 shots - 4:30 playback
Since one of the reasons I wanted the SD4000 was the battery life I contacted Canon. They said "The PowerShot SD4500 IS has a more powerful version of our "DIGIC" processor, and a much larger lens to move. Both of these require a significant amount of power, and because of this the battery life is decreased." I can see the lens thing, but pretty sure it is the same DIGIC. I am going to wait for more reviews/testing/comments.

Also does anyone have any comments on the focusing speed of the SD4000? This is one of my wife's pet-peeves since she refuses to pre-focus.
rjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:56 PM   #2

rjansson-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The SD-4000 has an average focus lock time. The focus lock time on the SD-4500 will of necessity be longer in duration due to the larger lens and longer focal length.

Until your wife comes to peace with pre-focusing the image quality of her photos will continue to be measurably reduced. I am a professional digital camera instructor. I find people whose workflow does not allow for pre-focusing quite often. Once a series of photo are collected and documented with and without pre-focusing, they can visually see the difference in the photos. Then they change and get markedly better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:27 PM   #3

Having just bought an SD4000/300HS, I'm wondering if I should consider switching to the SD4500/1000HS... By the way, notice how the increase in numbers is wildly different for the two model names? Anyway, It'll be interesting to see tests compare these two.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

i got the canon sd4000 and im very pleased with it. heres a video i did with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPoTR4KGjC0
canon sd4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
rjansson-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The SD-4000 has an average focus lock time. The focus lock time on the SD-4500 will of necessity be longer in duration due to the larger lens and longer focal length.

Until your wife comes to peace with pre-focusing the image quality of her photos will continue to be measurably reduced. I am a professional digital camera instructor. I find people whose workflow does not allow for pre-focusing quite often. Once a series of photo are collected and documented with and without pre-focusing, they can visually see the difference in the photos. Then they change and get markedly better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah. How are you?

I hope you don't feel I am pestering you.

Is there any reason I should consider the SD-4500 over the SX-130? The size difference is not an issue for me, but I see the ISO for the SD-4500 seems to be quite higher than for the SX-130.

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:20 PM   #6

Juggernaut-

I considered the SD-4000, SD-4500, and the SX-130 very seriously. My conclusion was the zoom ranger of the SX-130 is better for my shooting purposes. I also felt that the SX-130 was sharper throughout the zoom range.

I even went as far as ordering the SD-4000 and returning it. I am happy with my decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote