Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:53 PM   #1

Default New Camera to replace stolen Canon S5 IS

Well, I accidentally left my S5 IS in my car and it was stolen along with my stereo and iPod, about $2000 worth of stuff in total

I am looking to replace teh S5 IS with a similar camera, but I am not sure about the new SX20 IS, my parents bought it and I actually preferred a few of the features on the S5 IS to it. I am lookibg at Newegg and Best Buy for now. On Newegg I have found these

Newegg Set 1
and this Olympus SP-800Uz

and Best Buy I found these

Best Buy Cameras

Out of that selection what would you guys buy?
bose301s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:47 PM   #2

The SX20 is the best choice since it has a hot shoe for external flash and a swing out LCD viewer.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
The SX20 is the best choice since it has a hot shoe for external flash and a swing out LCD viewer.
That is one reason I really like some of the Canon models, teh swivel LCD is awesome if you have to use the camera in awkward positions ever. However, I have only ever had Canon cameras so I don't know if I am missing out on some of the features other brands have. If anyone could please look at these cameras and give any advice at all I will appreciate it.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:24 PM   #4

Bose-

The other option is to pick-up a used Canon S-5. It is a very good camera and that action would limit your cash outlay.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Bose-

The other option is to pick-up a used Canon S-5. It is a very good camera and that action would limit your cash outlay.

Sarah Joyce
Good point, are there any places to get used cameras other than ebay, I don't really trust ebay, you never know how bad the camera was treated.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:18 PM   #6

Bose-

www.keh.com is a very respected national used camera exchange. I personally have made many purchases from them. They are 100% reputable and dependable. When I was on their website today (08/22) I did notice that they have a used S-5 for sale.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Bose-

www.keh.com is a very respected national used camera exchange. I personally have made many purchases from them. They are 100% reputable and dependable. When I was on their website today (08/22) I did notice that they have a used S-5 for sale.

Sarah Joyce
Honestly for the price I think I will go new so I can also get an accidental damage warranty if I break it, which I am good at doing. Out of those cameras new which would work well. I am just starting photography really, I have been taking pictures for awhile but on teh standard P&S auto settings but I want to get into it more, not enough to justify a DSLR but enough to justify a more advanced camera than a standard P&S.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

of those listed i would definitely narrow it down to the Canon SX20IS and the Panasonic FZ35. They are very similar in many respects and for all intents and purposes there is little to choose between them, they are both very capable.

the FZ35 has a big following here and no doubt that will get the most votes, and with good reason.

but since you are familiar with Canon's superzooms and enjoy the swivel screen, the SX20 would be an easy choice.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
of those listed i would definitely narrow it down to the Canon SX20IS and the Panasonic FZ35. They are very similar in many respects and for all intents and purposes there is little to choose between them, they are both very capable.

the FZ35 has a big following here and no doubt that will get the most votes, and with good reason.

but since you are familiar with Canon's superzooms and enjoy the swivel screen, the SX20 would be an easy choice.
What do you think each does better than the other?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Super Moderator

image quality is not much different, the panasonic is a touch better, but in use you would be hard pressed to tell a difference.

the panny is smaller and lighter.

the panny can shoot in RAW

the canon uses AA batteries, that can be both a pro and a con depending on your needs.

the canon has a hotshoe which is compatible with EOS flash system

canon has a tilt/swivel lcd.

-------------
decide what is important for you and pick accordingly, both are nice superzooms