Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Default Looking at buying an Sony Alpha 330

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Digital SLR for my fiancee - she doesn't own one but is really into art and would like to start taking artist photos with an SLR.

I don't really know anything about cameras but I was thinking of buying a Sony Alpha 330. Her mother owns one, which she bought as she use to own a Nikon (not digital) years ago and was hoping to use the same lenses - apparently they're compatible?! Anyhow, I was thinking if she had the same model as her mother they could share lenses if one of them bought a better lenses, etc. But maybe there are other models which will also support the same lenses?!

Anyhow, I was wondering is there a better camera in the range that people would recommend? And what lenses are compatible with the Alpha 330?

I'd love to hear any thoughts or recommendations people might have.

Thanks.
mchammetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:19 AM   #2

The Sony will work with Minolta AF lenses, not Nikon lenses.

Yes, your finacee and her mother will be able to share the Sony and Minolta lenses thay have, and there are some good lenses for them on the used market. There are some newer models that should appear shortly, so if you can wait, you might want to. The A330 and A380 will be replaced by an A390. There will also soon be the smaller, lighter A33 and A55. Sit tight for a week or so. At the very least, the price of the one you're looking at is likely to go down.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #3

sony and nikons are not compatible with lenses, sony and old Minolta are.

Yes there are better camera at the same price range as the sony a330. The pentax k-x is one, better in low light then the sony, faster AF system. For a 2 lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 it is about 800. With just the short lens, it is about 520. It shots HD video if that is of any concern.

If low light is not a big concern the olympus e620 is an excellent camera. They come with the best kit lenses on the market.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:48 AM   #4

The a390 is a okay camera, but it still uses a cdd sensor, not the new sony cmos sensor. So it is not as good in high iso low light shoot. It is about the same as the a330 and a380. Now if you were to spend some more money the A550 is a very good low light camera. But it quite a bit more.

Also what is your time frame for this purchase. As all new cameras coming out, you will be paying msrp on them until late oct when they start discounting for the holiday season.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick advice...

I'm in Australia so I'm guess those extra models don't get realised for a little longer, and I need it within two weeks...

The Pentax looks alright... I'm open to any other models people would like to through forward in that price range.

I'm assuming all Sony lenses are compatible with all other Sony models? If that is the case I'd consider the a500 or a550 - thoughts?

I personally doubt there will be much swapping but thought it might be worth considering...
mchammetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:59 AM   #6

Yes on the sony question.

The A550 is a very good camera, but you would be better off saving the money on the body and adding a longer zoom lens. It is a better investment. As the pentax k-x with the 18-55 and 55-300mm lens is less then the A550 with one lens. And the added range do come in handy.

In the DSLR world, lenses are worth the investment. As that affect image quality more. And the pentax 2 lens kit is a very good kit. And not to expensive. The sony 2 kit lenses are not as good.

Also do you have a budget?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:42 AM   #7
Administrator

I'm not familiar with Australian vendors, but found this one with a quick google search. It looks like they have 3 store locations in Australia, and also let you order online. From what I can see from pricing, there is very little price difference between the A330 and A500, so you may want to consider the A500 instead. Lately, we've been seeing some pretty good pricing on the A500, since chances are, Sony will be releasing newer models very soon (they've already announced they'll be releasing more dSLR models this year with the ability to record video; a feature missing from the current models).

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...paign=SonyDSLR

Compared to the A330, the A500 would have better battery life, optical viewfinder, a slightly larger tilting LCD, faster continuous shooting speed and some new features not found in the A330 (for example, face and smile detection features when usiing Live View, Auto HDR and more). The 12MP CMOS Sensor in the A500 also has lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased, as compared to the 10MP CCD Sensor in the A330.

It looks like the A500 including an 18-55mm lens is running $599 including GST right now.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...gory1008_1.htm

The price for the A500 kit with a lens on Sony's web site in Australia is $999 (and they're sold out). So, $599 is a pretty good price for that kit in Australia from what I can see from Sony's pricing.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/dslr-a500l
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote