Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11

A Slave Flash will add, in the case of the Canon HF-1, Slave Flash, less than 1 1/2 inches to the camera width. As shoturtle, explained, the Slave Flash is triggered by the camera's built-in flash unit and adds more light to the photo scene.

In today's camera market 28mm or less (in 35mm terms) is considered a "wide angle" lens position. Because the Nikon S-8000's zoom range begins at 30mm (in 35mm terms) it is considered to not have a "wide angle."

Consider this as well: if you are willing to increase your budget, the image quality, shot to shot times, and battery capacity will also correspondingly increase.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
For what it might be worth: it is reported that the imager used on the Canon SD-4500 is a Canon developed imager.
That is good news indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansson View Post
Nikon S8000 ($259) because fast focus & I am happy with my D80.
Nikon makes great DSLR cameras. They bailed on the P&S market years ago though. They really haven't produced anything above average in that realm in years.

Quote:
Canon SX210 ($299) because I have had good luck with other Canon Elphs.
Again, it has a terrible lens. I say this as someone who desperately wants to own a Canon P&S again.

Quote:
Also when I think of cameras I don't really think of Panasonic.
Where have you been? Panasonic is moving up the chain quick. They have had the #1 selling P&S for a few years now and their superzooms are immensely popular. They have also held the spot for the #1 dedicated consumer camcorder for the last couple years. Samsung is coming up quickly also. Canon and Nikon still run the show at the DSLR level though - and rightfully so imho.

Last edited by FiveO; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:56 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:27 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info. Glad to hear about Panasonic.

My head is really starting to hurt. Every time I almost make a decision I read a different review and change my mind.

Bottom line everyone, based on my criteria (AF Acquisition, Battery Life), what camera would you buy?

Thanks again!

Last edited by rjansson; Aug 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM.
rjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:19 AM   #14
Zoo

Quote:
Bottom line everyone, based on my criteria (AF Acquisition, Battery Life), what camera would you buy?
Are those your only criteria?

Here is the Battery Life for each camera (CIPA):
SX210 IS - 260 shots
S8000 - 210 shots
ZS7 - 300 shots
HX5V - 310 shots

But if battery life is such a major issue then you might also consider:

Casio Exilim EX-FH100 - 520 shots

Check out this group test:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

Personally I recently ordered the ZS7 + a spare battery.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:01 AM   #15

Thanks! (Now I have another one (Casio) to check out!!). I always thought of Casio as a little cheaper quality though.

No that is not my only criteria. Just most important (as stated earlier my wife refuses to pre-focus and then gets frustrated at losing shots of the grand-kids). And I usally buy a spare battery also, that my wife loses in her pocketbook.

Great site, with a lot to look at (tonight).

What made you decide on the ZS7?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:36 AM   #16
Zoo

Quote:
What made you decide on the ZS7?
I wanted a pocketable camera that could also do HD video with zoom and AF. This requirement eliminated some of the options. My short list included the SX210 IS, the ZS7 and the HX5V. I then eliminated the HX5V when I've seen some side by side video comparisons between it and the ZS7 and the SX210 IS. Finally I choose the ZS7 because it was receiving a bit better reviews from the SX210.

By the way, if your wife does not need GPS you could consider the cheaper ZS5 (340 shots CIPA) and if she doesn't need manual controls either the ZS3, which is even cheaper and supposedly can produce better pictures than the ZS7 out of the box.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:59 AM   #17

ZS5 has a smaller LCD which my old eyes won't like.
The ZS3 is intriguing (especially since I will most likely turn the GPS off) but I found a review (digitalcamerareview) that said the auto-focus is almost double .39 to .69 (New "Sonic Speed AF"). (Also for some reason it is $65 more on Amazon!).

Last edited by rjansson; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Zoo

Seems that there are big discounts on the ZS7 in the US now (I got mine from the UK). This makes the zs7 quite good value at the moment.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:54 AM   #19

I just tried the ZS5 at a local store. Was very impressed with the AF Acquisition and the Zoom. Although the store is very well lit which helps. I tried a few quick shots of my shoes to try and trick it and it locked focus almost immediately. Also held it 1/2 inch over some print and it locked quickly again. Would be great if 3.0 screen instead of 2.7.

They also had the Nikon S8000 and Canon SX210, both without power. I did not like the SX210 feel (my thumb sat right on the Mode selection).

I just checked the price for the ZS5 on Amazon $207!!! that is a lot cheaper than $293 (was $271 yesterday) for ZS7. Maybe .3 inch is not that big!!!! And as far as I am concerned GPS is for my car and my golf cart. I pretty much know where my pictures are taken.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:50 PM   #20

If HD video is not a priority, the ZS5 is not a bad choice, and the price is right.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote