Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:29 PM   #1

Default T2i vs. 7D vs. 5D mkII

Yeah, I know that's a pretty wide range there, but let me tell you what I need the camera for and then you can decide what I should buy:

Budget: $3,000-$3,500

What I want to shoot: Food + Food Scenes (so nothing's moving too fast, nothing would be distant)

What's important: Awesome low light shots (I shoot at restaurants in natural light; I would be happy to buy a nice flash), Excellent HD capture (I think all three of these have this), and excellent audio recording (I'm planning to have my subjects mic-ed up with lapel mics and do some interviewing, possibly utilizing a boom mic)

I've never used a DSLR, but I'm going to take a photography course after the purchase.

Thanks for your help!
blounp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:36 PM   #2

well the 5DMKII will give you the best low light results, and the full frame sensor just works better in low light then the aps-c of the 7d or t2i. Since you do not shoot action, there is no real advantage the 7D has over the t2i.

How serious heavy are you taking photography up to. As the 5DMKII is a very good camera, with a price to match. They shot the last season of House with the 5D, and allot of music videos are shot with it now adays. But if you are going to make money with it. The 5D would be the best tool between the 3 for your needs.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:48 PM   #3

yea, 5d mkII and 24-70l 2.8 would fit the bill and be an awesome matchup.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:57 PM   #4

Yeah, I'm wondering if I can get the t2i instead of the 5D mkii or should I get the t2i and a bunch of diesel accessories ...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:58 PM   #5

The budget includes the accessories for the camera, Lenses, Mics ...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:01 PM   #6

Get the t2i and a bunch of lenses and flash if the price is the concern. As the 5D with the lens will eat up pretty much all of your budget. 2300 for the 5D body, and about 1500 for the lens.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:17 PM   #7

The camera body is just one part of the equation. You also need to complement such a fine camera body with optical glass to match. In that the lighting is dim and the shooting is either with ambient light or possibly a flash, you need to select appropriate lenses.

Just selecting the fastest glass possible may not be the best option. I think that depth of field will pay a large part in your photography of dinner plates and food. Plus, you are not going to have the luxury of distance while sitting at the dinner table. So, I would expect that with Cannon, you are going to need at least 1 if not maybe 2 good "L" class lenses with probably image stabilization. You are probably going to spend at least as much on the glass as you are on the body.....

- gee, next time I'll hit return before I take the phone call........

bon appetit ....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:25 PM   #8

So are you saying 7D with a couple of nice lenses or is there any reason to buy a 7D over a T2i unless I need super fast shots?

I didn't know lenses had anything to do with image stabilization. The 24-70l 2.8 lens costs $1,400 ... That's a LOT! How much of a difference is that one going to make if I bought something comparable for half that price?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:27 PM   #9

And you are right about the depth of field - super important with food photography. I believe I will spend more on a macro lens than a telephoto lens. I don't need telephoto, but I would like to capture steam coming off of soups in the still shots ...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:37 PM   #10

well with canon and nikon, the went the route of IS in the lens, some think it works better then ibis. But it is up for debate.

But if you are shoot HD and set shots, the 7D really do not give you any real advantages over the T2i.

You will want ef 100mm 2.8 Macro IS form canon. It is hands down the best macro on the market at the 90 to 105mm range. About 800-900 dollars. With the 1.6x aps-c of the 7d and t2i, it will give you a bit more working distance then the 5D with the FF sensor.