Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Casual Portrait Image Quality Review for Les

Well Les-

As promised, and with this being the first day of the week, we will begin our Image Quality review of a fair number of camera as we wind our way down to the Pentax KX with the Pentax 40mm Limited lens sample which I should be able to fit in on Wednesday or Thursday. I am waiting for the lens to arrive.

Today (08/22) we will look at the image quality provided by the Samsung TL-500/EX-1 camera. This is a new 12mp Samsung camera that is designed to compete with the Canon S-90 and G-11 cameras. It uses an imager 1/1.63 imager that was designed to be as close as possible to the imagers used in the S-90 and G-11 cameras.

Just click on the link below to see the high resolution image:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...8_3RaAT-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2

I think you should include non flash shots, that way you can see the image quality when the light drop. Examples at 1600iso would be good.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3

That is an interesting approach, shoturtle-

Because the the whole objective of this thread was to judge lens quality, not image quality, or even image quality at a certain ISO, I decided that I wanted to give the lens involved, in this case a Schneider lens, as much light as possible to enable it to resolve as much fine detail as possible. So every photo wil be done using the camera's built-in flash unit. So it will be fair if all use flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Today (08/22) we will look at the image quality provided by the Samsung TL-500/EX-1 camera.
Nice sharp and detailed shot. Does Bradley ever complain about
all the modeling he does for you? When I point a camera at any
of my family members, they usually disappear very quickly.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:47 PM   #5

Hi Corkpix-

I am glad that you like the posted photo from the Samsung EX-1. We have been married 53 years, and Bradley is used to me taking photos of him. He never complains.

Today's (08/23) photo is from the Olympus EPL-1 equipped with a Panasonic 20mm lens. Please click on the link below to see the high resolution photo.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ol...5_Kc8rr-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi Corkpix-

I am glad that you like the posted photo from the Samsung EX-1. We have been married 53 years, and Bradley is used to me taking photos of him. He never complains.
Tell him I said he doesn't look old enough to have been married
for 53 years

Quote:
Today's (08/23) photo is from the Olympus EPL-1 equipped with a Panasonic 20mm lens. Please click on the link below to see the high resolution photo.
Another nice picture. Are these re-scaled or are they 100% crops?
The Samsung photo seems to have a slight edge in image quality.
Less noise in the dark areas and less JPEG compression artifacts,
although the larger file size of the Samsung image may be a factor
here. Sharpness and detail of the Samsung image is visibly better.
DOF is shallower in the Olympus shot. I suppose it would be difficult
to get every test image exactly the same when you are working
with different sensor sizes and lenses.

corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7

Good Morning, Corkpix-

My husband, Bradley said to send you his best and that he felt rather complimented that you perceived him to not be old enough to be married 53 years.

Today (08/24) photo was taken with the older Pentax K100D, a 6 mp DSLR equipped with the Pentax 55-300mm lens. Once again we have good sharpness and lots of fine detail.

Have a great day.

Please click on this link to see the higher resolution photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...2_vr99A-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Well Les-

As promised, and with this being the first day of the week, we will begin our Image Quality review of a fair number of camera as we wind our way down to the Pentax KX with the Pentax 40mm Limited lens sample which I should be able to fit in on Wednesday or Thursday. I am waiting for the lens to arrive.Thank you for providing this comparison series.

Today (08/22) we will look at the image quality provided by the Samsung TL-500/EX-1 camera. This is a new 12mp Samsung camera that is designed to compete with the Canon S-90 and G-11 cameras. It uses an imager 1/1.63 imager that was designed to be as close as possible to the imagers used in the S-90 and G-11 cameras.

Just click on the link below to see the high resolution image:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...8_3RaAT-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Sarah...thanks for all the effort you are putting into this review. I've checked out the photo's you have provided and your idea, is an excellent way to determine which is better...picture quality wise.

Using the same subject....your accommodating husband (I thank your husband) we will be able to effectively compare photo quality from one camera to the next. Great idea.

I'm looking forward to the pix and your comments re; the Pentax body with the 40 mm F2.8.

I do not think this is a common combination and if the pix quality is what I'm hoping...small bodied DSLR, pancake 40 mm F 2.8....I think this is a combo that others may consider as a great little carry around.

I have to say, I wonder why Pentax hasn't marketed this combo (if it produces top notch pix, as I hope) as an unusual, but intriguing outfit.

Again, thank you Sarah.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Aug 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:02 PM   #9

Sarah, thank you for making these comparisons and providing a nice set of your husband's photos, but I'm sorry to say it, the methodology is lacking. It is not a simple task to compare different cameras even in a controlled environment, but trying to compare images taken with different class cameras, equipped with different lenses and focal lengths, and shot with different apertures, shutter speeds and ISO values is kind of meaningless. The only fact that you prove with these shots is that one can take a good shot with almost any camera if the skills are there and the conditions are right.
Best regards,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:14 PM   #10

Alex-

I don't disagree at all! What this series is attempting to document is whether different lenses can indeed make a difference in the fine detail and sharpness resolved in the photo.

Sarah Joyce