Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Sony A230 vs Olympus E-420 - Live view or image stabilization?

I'm looking to buy an slr camera as a gift for someone. I need to buy this in the next 24 hrs.

I've narrowed it down to 2:

1 - Olympus E-420
2 - Sony A230

Both relatively inexpensive which seem to have received good reviews on each side.

The Olympus has a live view option while the Sony has image stabilization in the body. Which feature would be more important to someone who doesn't have much experience with an SLR camera?
princesultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

live view on dslrs is not that helpful.

the in body stabilization on the a230 will be more useful for a novice dslr shooter.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:31 PM   #3

maybe you're right. because she already has a simple sony point & shoot. still confused as to what to do. more opinions would be great!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the live view on the oly is used with the mirror flipped up. which means the phase detect autofocus cannot work, so it will have to rely on the contrast detect autofocus which is really really slow.

most olympus dslrs have in body stabilization, but the e420 does not to keep size to a minimum, thus the lenses are not stabilized, so the e420 will have no image stabilization. which can be very handy for consumer lenses like the kit lens. also the e420 uses an older image processor and heavy aliasing filter. its high iso performance isnt real great and it has limited dynamic range.

if you want to go with olympus. spend the slightly more money for the olympus e620/600. much better image processor, has in-body stabilization, and boasts much better specs.

the e620/600 is a great camera.

but of the 2 mentioned. the sony is the better buy.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:09 PM   #5

prince-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Perhaps I can give you a little different viewpoint, as I actually own the Sony A-230, the Olympus E-420, the Olympus E-600 and the Olympus E-620.

Based on the fact that normal shooting will be done at ISO 1600 or less with the kit lens, here is how I would arrange these cameras on a priority scale.

1. Sony A-230
2. Olympus E-600
3. Olympus E-620
4. Olympus E-420

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:10 PM   #6

Amazing. Thanks guys. I found the sony with lens for 330 Canadian $, I think it's a good deal.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:31 PM   #7

how entry level is the sony a230 by the way? i mean, i'd like to get a nice camera, but my budget is around there. this is someone who loves photography but her best camera has been about 150$ point and shoot.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:46 PM   #8

prince-

The 10mp Sony A-230 is a good camera and will offer a very measurable boost in image quality for her P+S camera.

Please click on the link below to see what the A-230 is capable of producing. This photo was taken without flash, using just the existing stage lighting. Notice as well how the juggler's action was also stopped:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...5_cXRxk-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:17 PM   #9

I would say I use the sony a550 tilting live-view on every outing. For car pics, taking one at hub height, one at hood height, one at ... live view is great. Over tops of crowds. great. loaning camera to others. great. i can't see any drawbacks. I use the viewfinder when it's bright or if live-view won't help me. i wish it could pivot sideways so i could get those over-the-head vertical shots easier. If I had to choose, I would pick live-view way over IS.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I would say I use the sony a550 tilting live-view on every outing. For car pics, taking one at hub height, one at hood height, one at ... live view is great. Over tops of crowds. great. loaning camera to others. great. i can't see any drawbacks. I use the viewfinder when it's bright or if live-view won't help me. i wish it could pivot sideways so i could get those over-the-head vertical shots easier. If I had to choose, I would pick live-view way over IS.

hmmm... interesting.