Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:57 AM   #11

First, let me say thank you to both of you for your quick replies and all of your comments so far. I read my husband's thread a couple of times to get a grip on all the information.

shoturtle:

Thank you for the kind comment on the pictures that he posted.

I also appreciated the examples that you posted. They have been quite helpful. I can see that you do enjoy your epl-1 and do not doubt it is an excellent camera.

Sarah Joyce:

I have been reading many threads including the one my husband started and do not doubt your expertise in this area at all and greatly appreciate the effort you have put in with helping my husband and now me.

As for my husband's assumptions, he probably did sense some hesitation in me when looking at a DSLR. I've researched a bit on my own and seen comments on the difficulty that can occur when moving from a p&s to a DSLR. But I am not technically inept either, (I am a math major, a camera manual can't be nearly as hard to read as a textbook on writing algebraic proofs).

----

Now, between the Kx and epl-1 I did prefer the feel of the Kx over the epl-1. I liked the larger size, it was just a bit easier for me to hold. I really wish that both of these models would have had power going to them so i could have compared their menus and such. If I remember correctly, there seemed to be more buttons and controls on the Kx, which I'm assuming means you would be dealing with menus less, but i could be wrong. That would be a plus for me, I don't relish menu digging.

As for vision problems, I see fine with my glasses, just better so out of my left eye. The only issues I really have with viewfinders is that since I do use my left eye a bit more it becomes more awkward since my glasses are hitting the hand on the shutter. I have tried to force myself to use the other eye, but it seems like a right-handed vs left-handed thing, and it doesn't work. Anyway, I'm hoping I can get over this. That is one thing that does concern me about the Kx. When you say the live view is not so great, is that not so great compared to other camera's of it's class, or not so great compared to how say my H5's live view performs?

Putting VF/LCDs aside for a moment, how does auto focus compare between these two cameras? That is another gripe I have with my H5. I use spot focus to try and decrease the focus box to get it to more accurately focus on what I want, but even still, I seem to get images where my subject is out of focus but the background or something right next to the subject is crystal clear. On smaller subjects I can understand how this could happen quite easily. But there were quite a few instances where the subject filled a fair amount of the image. Perhaps it was due to subject movement. Regardless, I would be curious to know which model had the better AF.

Again, I appreciate the help. I had another question but I seem to have forgotten. It's been a long day. We're planning a birthday party for my party this Saturday and I've been getting the house ready.

One more comment on my husband's thread. I promise to not let the fact that the Kx comes in purple sway my decision, though it is rather tempting
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:14 AM   #12

I shoot the K-x and with the vf, it has the better AF system. But once you switch to liveview, it really falls behind. It is not just the k-x, but the same with my T1i. The dslr normally have better AF with phase detect, but when you switch to liveview. The dslr goes to a contrast base system. But it is actually slower the point and shoots. And the K-x in liveview is actually slower then even my t1i. Which is slow. That is why I say it is a give and take. So if you think your H5 is slow, you should see how slow a dslr is in liveview, except fo the sony's but they allot more if you want to be able to shoot HD at times.

If you plan on using the LCD most of the time, the epl-1 is the faster AF. If you shoot with the VF or EVF. The Pentax is the faster system.

On the control question. It really depend. If you to shoot with manual setting the pentax is a bit easier with the dial. But the epl1 is really not 2 bad. If you shoot in Aperture mode. You can train your thumb to quickly set aperture and EV really quickly without going into the menu. All you do is hit the up button once to activate, then up or down to choose aperture and left and right to select ev.

But if you are a scene shooter. The menus are about the same to navigate. I personally find the olympus setup easier to uses.

The problem with the color for the pentax is, if you are not using the matching kit lens. All the other lenses are black. And they just do not look as good with the different colors like red and green. I personally like the chocolate color myself.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:17 AM   #13

I would definitely think about what I actually wanted to carry around at Disney World all day....I would opt for something smaller for family trips of this sort...
We own a 7D and a 300D and do not like toting them when they cut into our fun factor thats where the FZ35 excels or even the ZS7 they were made to have fun and the other factor for me is if they do get stolen I haven't lost $1000's of equipment. FZ35 & the ZS7 both fit in the glove compartment or center console, FZ35 can be carried in a purse or on a belt pouch, to me that is the big advantage of the FZ35 it is a win-win camera and very easy to use THEN add the Pentax later for some serious family photos (my $.02...lol...:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-seaworld.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...no-museum.html
FZ35 Zoom:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...abilities.html
FZ35 Macros without LC-55 conversion lens:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...acro-mode.html
FZ35 with LC-55 conversion lens
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...5-lc-55-a.html
We do a lot of hiking with the children at the Heard Museum:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...y-lt-55-a.html

The FZ35 with the strong flash and f/2.8 lens will give you an advantage indoors also...

The Canon S90 is also capable in lower light settings and is easily carried on the belt or purse:
Manitou Springs evening stroll:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-photos.html
Old Texas Museum all these were indoors wo flash:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-museum.html
From our camp a landscape shot of Pikes Peak:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...cape-shot.html

Of course Sarah is guiding you correctly on the Pentax KX...our family is very active and the lighter the load the better when out hiking, biking, strolling, Seaworld, Cruising, sight seeing, ATVing...the FZ35 is the best bang for the buck right now...for size, weight, and performance even the video is very nice on it....I have Ripoff Holsters making a fit-for-purpose holster for the FZ35 so it can easily be carried on the belt...

Sorry for the long winded spill...excited about getting back home and being able to take some photos!!! lol....

Good luck with your choice and most of all have fun with your camera no matter which one it is!!!

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 27, 2010 at 1:30 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:25 AM   #14

She has a sony H5, which is not a bad megazoom. Going with an FZ is kinda of having the samething. And it really does not offer better low light abilities. Still only about 800iso.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:32 AM   #15

Well, the color is really the last on my list. It's just a running joke in my family, I've even had purple hair. But it's also a bit more expensive for the purple model.

The VF vs LCD is something I'm going to have to think about as I do lean heavily on the LCD. I may experiment a bit with my H5 as soon as my new glasses come in (which should be any day) to see if I can work around my issues. The live-view performance with Sony was one of the reason's it was on the list despite the price. However, image quality for what I want to do is at the top of my list along with ease-of-use.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
She has a sony H5, which is not a bad megazoom. Going with an FZ is kinda of having the samething. And it really does not offer better low light abilities. Still only about 800iso.
Not even that ST you have to limit the ISOto 400Max on the ZS7....and a child in motion indoors with the ZS7 would be nigh on impossible...my feeble thinking was about when you are at a park all day and carrying a heavy camera and lens...then you have to worry about sitting it down...if it rains or gets wet...watching the lens all the time...enjoying the rides with the family and a boat anchor of a camera hanging around your neck...thats what we concluded that ALL the photos we have made on the last trip with the FZ35, ZS7 and the S90 were perfect for us as far as IQ and having a good time without a camera hanging around our neck!
Yes it would be great to carry a DSLR everywhere with us...it just isn't practical and for the most part they will not get used except around home for the average family...the FZ35 is so capable of taking DSLR quality photos for $275 and an SDHC you can have a lot of fun!!!! and the LCD is quite good also the FZ45 has a 3" LCD...the ZS7 LCD is 3" and I use it easily, but I keep it powered on and at the brightest setting...the S90 LCD is quite good...I don't see well either...

One advantage of my Canon 7D is I changed the VF to a +2 so I can see very well through the view finder now without glasses...that may be another idea to look at?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:46 AM   #17

with image quality the oly m4/3 sensor and the new sony sensor used in the a560 are pretty well match. The sony is better pass 1600iso with the noise, while the oly is better from 100-1600iso. This was from popular photography.

Lens wise, with the correction that m4/3 does gives the it the lead. If you look at my low light in paris shots at 1600iso. You will see that you have purple halo around street lights with the canon T1i, while no halo with the epl-1. The pentax will give you a green halo shooting at 1600iso.

Also the panasonic lens I mention is very sharp, and with the correction. It is even better. Allot of the small distortions can be correct in post production. But much easier if the camera can do it for you.

If you shoot jpeg most of the time and not RAW then Edit. The photos of the epl-1 just blows by the pentax and my T1i. The color, contrast and sharpness are way better. Part of that is do to the fact that a dslr is really set up for editing of photos.

Eye dominance problems are not easy to over come. I uses to shoot rifles all the time. And I am a right hand shooter and left eye dominate. And I could never fully get over the problem to shoot with my right eye. It is kinda hard as your brian is hardwire for one eye to take control. You actually do not focus as well with the passive eye. You can get better, but it takes allot of pratice.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 27, 2010 at 2:03 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:50 AM   #18

LTZ470,

Thanks for the images. I had lurked a bit in the Panasonic section and saw some of these. The FZ35 does a great job. In good conditions my H5 also does a great job. I'm not completely unhappy with it. It will probably continue to be my Seaworld camera for some time. I worry about taking something like the Kx to a place with so much water...

I'm considering an economic compact zoom like the Kodak z950 for those occasions where I want something light, and less expensive in case of accidents/theft, but more zoom than my husband's Nikon Coolpix.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:58 AM   #19

Yes the Sony H5 looks very capable...maybe get one of the LCD Covers with the Eyepiece on it? It sure would make the camera larger in size?
Found it: Hoodloupe could help purpleehobbit?
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H%2DLPP3
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:58 AM   #20

For a good longer reach pocket camera, the zs6 or zs5 is pretty nice with a12x zoom. Also the panasonic zr1 with a 8x zoom, and a good price at costco. They are very small pocket cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
LTZ470,

Thanks for the images. I had lurked a bit in the Panasonic section and saw some of these. The FZ35 does a great job. In good conditions my H5 also does a great job. I'm not completely unhappy with it. It will probably continue to be my Seaworld camera for some time. I worry about taking something like the Kx to a place with so much water...

I'm considering an economic compact zoom like the Kodak z950 for those occasions where I want something light, and less expensive in case of accidents/theft, but more zoom than my husband's Nikon Coolpix.